Where do you fall in anticipation of Covenant?

Started by GrimmVision, May 05, 2017, 10:50:19 PM

Where do you fall in anticipation of Covenant?

I'm full blown excited
19 (33.9%)
I'm excited but cautious
15 (26.8%)
I'm cautious
14 (25%)
I don't care about this movie
0 (0%)
I don't want/need this movie
1 (1.8%)
I've seen this movie and am excited for Alien's future
0 (0%)
I've seen this movie and am worried for Alien's future
0 (0%)
I'm entirely indifferent about it until I see it
1 (1.8%)
I'm worried about this movie
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author
Where do you fall in anticipation of Covenant? (Read 3,072 times)

fiveways

I don't want/need this movie.  I know that seems lame but I am currently waiting for the full spoilers to come out so I can assess if i even want to bother with it in the theatre (I probably will anyway).  Setting my expectations really really low this time.

salomonj

full blown excited. if the 10 minute preview was anything to go by, this movie will be so good.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Excitement was at a 10 out of 10 to the point where I took a day of leave off work to drive 4 hours to nearest cinema running the Alien day Alien showing and the 10 minutes of Covenant footage...

Then I read through the first impressions thread...

Now I am down to a tempered 9. Still very excited but expect the film might have some pacing issues. I really want the full story to be told that Sir Ridley has planned to lead into the original Alien (and actually see the TRUE big chap), so I am naturally nervous for how well it does commercially. I do believe I will love the film since I still enjoyed Prometheus despite its flaws.

DaddyYautja

super worried.

There's nothing from the trailers that makes me think that this is different than Alien.

newagescamartist

I have to give a lot of credit to the people in charge of advertising. They've shown a lot of creature shots, but have given almost none of the story away.

echobbase79

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 06, 2017, 03:55:26 AM
I have to give a lot of credit to the people in charge of advertising. They've shown a lot of creature shots, but have given almost none of the story away.

That makes me happy.

Also, I just listened to the audio of the Alien Day footage and man it sounds sick! Whoever did the sound effects on this movie did a very good job. I can't wait to see the visuals of that scene. 

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I'm full blown excited.

Been awaiting this for ages and it's finally going to come true!  ;D

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Protozoid on May 06, 2017, 01:02:40 AM
The more I hear, the less interest I have.  I even stopped watching the TV spots, virals, and interviews.  It sounds like they made a deliberate effort to make the most money they could, not the best movie.

As an Alien fan, I'm mildly interested.

As a Prometheus fan, I'm sorely disappointed.

As a Ridley Scott fan, I think this is a huge wasted opportunity.  In years to come, scholars are going to eventually spill more ink over "what happened to Prometheus 2?" than they did over the various drafts of Alien3.  It might even end up being one of the major talking points of Ridley Scott's career.  Prometheus split his fanbase in two.  Now he is trying to win back half of them by betraying the other half.  I don't see how that can result in anything but decades of controversy.  This isn't going to unite the fanbase, this is just going to give both halves reason to be bitter.

I think you might be laying it on just a little too thick there.  That said, I do kinda see what your talking about.  The early reaction thread got derailed big time because of toxicity and that toxicity is permeating just about everything related to this movie, not just here, but on just about every Alien fan community I lurk in.

I do think this movie is going be devisive... but thats only because it already has been devisive since the first teaser trailer hit in December.  But is it because the movie is truly a horrible movie?  Or is it because the franchise's fanbase has degenerated into a Star Wars-like fandom where it is literally impossible to make anything that is going to be universally liked or even accepted by the majority due to entirely too many ideas on where the series should go and expectations set so high no movie can ever hope to reach such lofty heights (guess it's my turn to lay it on thick... lol)?

Scorpio

None of the poll option apply to me.  I like Alien but it's just a movie, so if I don't like the new one it's not the end of the world.

Necronomicon II

Quote from: oberonqa on May 06, 2017, 05:05:09 AM
Quote from: Protozoid on May 06, 2017, 01:02:40 AM
The more I hear, the less interest I have.  I even stopped watching the TV spots, virals, and interviews.  It sounds like they made a deliberate effort to make the most money they could, not the best movie.

As an Alien fan, I'm mildly interested.

As a Prometheus fan, I'm sorely disappointed.

As a Ridley Scott fan, I think this is a huge wasted opportunity.  In years to come, scholars are going to eventually spill more ink over "what happened to Prometheus 2?" than they did over the various drafts of Alien3.  It might even end up being one of the major talking points of Ridley Scott's career.  Prometheus split his fanbase in two.  Now he is trying to win back half of them by betraying the other half.  I don't see how that can result in anything but decades of controversy.  This isn't going to unite the fanbase, this is just going to give both halves reason to be bitter.

I think you might be laying it on just a little too thick there.  That said, I do kinda see what your talking about.  The early reaction thread got derailed big time because of toxicity and that toxicity is permeating just about everything related to this movie, not just here, but on just about every Alien fan community I lurk in.

I do think this movie is going be devisive... but thats only because it already has been devisive since the first teaser trailer hit in December.  But is it because the movie is truly a horrible movie?  Or is it because the franchise's fanbase has degenerated into a Star Wars-like fandom where it is literally impossible to make anything that is going to be universally liked or even accepted by the majority due to entirely too many ideas on where the series should go and expectations set so high no movie can ever hope to reach such lofty heights (guess it's my turn to lay it on thick... lol)?
That's just it with long established franchises and fandoms I'm afraid, and it'll be that way until the end of days.

900SL

900SL

I'm keeping expectations firmly grounded. It's a franchise, it appears to use a bunch of tropes from earlier films, and it will have been heavily influenced by the studio, following on from the wreck of the Prometheus.

Scott can shoot with the best of them, so I think it will be visually stunning. He will be under a tight leash to deliver thrills and spills, so I am expecting an Aliens type rehash. I'm just hoping they manage to avoid the ridiculous plot holes and sheer implausibilities which ruined Prometheus. I know the old adage that nobody went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average cinema goer, but I ain't average :D   

motherfather

motherfather

Excited but cautious.

From what I've seen in trailers, most of my fears (caused by disappointments with Prometheus) are gone.

The only thing that will make or break the movie for me at this stage is the delicate and precarious line they seem to be walking re: the engineer/david involvement in the origins of the xenos and the Alien space jockey/planetoid.

I am hoping only for a very minimal, loose or nuanced connection. Lets see...

Scree

Very indifferent but if it's good I'll be glad.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: fiveways on May 06, 2017, 02:32:20 AM
I don't want/need this movie.  I know that seems lame but I am currently waiting for the full spoilers to come out so I can assess if i even want to bother with it in the theatre (I probably will anyway).  Setting my expectations really really low this time.
Why the f**k are you on this forum?

TheBATMAN

I'm excited for the first proper Alien film for 20 years and how Ridley Scott will handle the creature. I'm expecting the best-looking film of the series and probably some stand out moments. However I am prepared for disappointment with the story and and am already hugely disappointed with the overuse of CG for the xenomorph. If anyone saw the clip on Graham Norton last night it was horrendous.

I'm expecting it to be better than Prometheus and I hope it will make watching Prometheus a better experience from now on in.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed