Studio ADI

Started by StJimmy, May 02, 2017, 04:40:35 PM

Author
Studio ADI (Read 7,766 times)

StJimmy

StJimmy

Something thats been on my mind lately is the absence of ADI from Prometheus and Covenant. I just cant understand the reasoning for not having them involved.they have been involved in some level since Aliens and their work is amazing, the movies may not always have been but their effects work has always been. any problems usually arise from the directors vision of an effect rather than what Alec/Tom and team are capable of. Although i am super psyched for the new movie, the cg Xeno's in the trailer look awful. ADI wouldve done them all practically. CGI IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WORK ON ITS OWN! hollywood does not understand this.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

You're hitting at the heartstrings. I was gutted for their lack of involvement. Someone ought to ask them

Btw, practical effects for the film were done by Odd Studio and Creatures Inc. so it's not all CGI

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: StJimmy on May 02, 2017, 04:40:35 PM
Something thats been on my mind lately is the absence of ADI from Prometheus and Covenant. I just cant understand the reasoning for not having them involved.they have been involved in some level since Aliens and their work is amazing, the movies may not always have been but their effects work has always been. any problems usually arise from the directors vision of an effect rather than what Alec/Tom and team are capable of. Although i am super psyched for the new movie, the cg Xeno's in the trailer look awful. ADI wouldve done them all practically. CGI IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WORK ON ITS OWN! hollywood does not understand this.
Cuz they suck. Are you happy with the work they did on Resurrection and AVP?

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

I'm extremely pleased they're not involved. They've had a long stint at it it's about time someone else took a crack at the Aliens.

StJimmy

StJimmy

Yes because the actual craftsmanship/aristry was top class it was the ideas of the directors/writers that were the problem. watch this from their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7T2s0yDWWQ

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: StJimmy on May 02, 2017, 04:40:35 PM

I'm fairly certain Ridley Scott took every effort to use practical effects everywhere possible so I would not say that there is too much reliance on CGI. Just look at the actors he has cast as the aliens in Covenant and I'm quite happy he went that route.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I like ADI,  but im not a huge fan of  their design work and some of their effects. They have done some great work but also some of their work isnt so great imo.

Personally i'm glad to see alien effects from a different company, so far it seems Odd Studio has done a good job. I guess we'll find out for sure when we see the film.

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

yes, that video was posted here a while ago, not really hyped by it at all.
I'm not sayin' they did a bad job-far from it.

But i agree with the above statement that it's time for someone else to go at it, and to be honest, it looks fantastic.
I don't get the complaints at all. is it 'obvious cgi' ? not really. We are prejudiced that it is, while it really isn't that blatent.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I like ADI, I just don't like their work on this particular franchise, hate it in fact. Although what is ironic is that they would have benefited on this particular movie considering the creature purposefully has a lack of bio mechanical elements. It's clear if you watch the making-of docs for the quadrilogy that although ADI try to treat him with respect, they have no love for HR Giger or his ideas.

I'm sure Ridley considered them but obviously there is better talent out there and by god it's about time someone else had a go. Already the xeno's head is far better than anything we've had for a long, long time.

StJimmy

StJimmy

That alien in your avatar is very clearly CGI and just doesnt look quite right when compared to say: http://1.cdn.eprofits.com/NPUSfvRW7GsZt8d5FgSrNytbx2bD5-BLNK4gy50Sqv2dPAXe6UlKnbfpA3oUpWYlxlxVTgklSFLrV5HdLQtC5w/1217-iconic-sci-fi-flick-celebrates-its-35th-anniversary-15-facts-about-alien-13.jpg. Tom Woodruff wouldve been in the suit doing that practically.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: StJimmy on May 02, 2017, 05:34:11 PM
That alien in your avatar is very clearly CGI and just doesnt look quite right when compared to say: http://1.cdn.eprofits.com/NPUSfvRW7GsZt8d5FgSrNytbx2bD5-BLNK4gy50Sqv2dPAXe6UlKnbfpA3oUpWYlxlxVTgklSFLrV5HdLQtC5w/1217-iconic-sci-fi-flick-celebrates-its-35th-anniversary-15-facts-about-alien-13.jpg. Tom Woodruff wouldve been in the suit doing that practically.

In my Avatar? That's the practical xeno from Alien. And that picture you just linked the creature looks truly horrible.

I'd wait till you watch the movie at least before passing judgement on the cg vs. practical angle.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

They will have my respect for a long time purely because they made the Runner, the second best only to Kane's Son.

StJimmy

StJimmy

i meant the one from the covenant trailer in cliffhangar and 426buddy's avatars lol

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Tom and Alec seem like good guys who genuinely love the franchise and put in work, but unfortunately their stuff just isn't up to snuff. The ADI Xenos look cheap and way too slimy. I'm curious to see the practical suit work in Covenant to see how it holds up, obviously we've seen a good bit of the CG stuff so far and that looks fine.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: StJimmy on May 02, 2017, 05:41:34 PM
i meant the one from the covenant trailer in cliffhangar and 426buddy's avatars lol

The CGI looks good to me, but we also know practical aliens were used  on set as well. Even if ADI had done the work on covenant you would still be seeing CGI aliens.

Also no more suit work for woodruff, everytime I see him in a suit you can tell its just a man in suit. The worst offender being Alien3 (love the design but not the suit work) and AvP 1&2 .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed