Alien: Covenant Discussion

Started by Alien³, Jan 27, 2016, 03:09:56 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Discussion (Read 2,743 times)

Alien³

Alien³

In the 2nd episode of my new YouTube series I discuss the Prometheus follow-up with AvPGalaxy's very own Corporal Hicks Aaron Percival!

Hope you guys enjoy and it'll appear on iTunes very soon.

Corporal Hicks

Just a technical comment but I started listening last night and it didn't sound like you merged the audio to mono.

Primordial

Primordial

The juggernaut taking off and blowing all the dust off the mound, revealing the Harkonnen Castle would have been a good one.
Still it would have only been a visual homage because this castle is quite specific :

"Harkonnen stands on rising ground, a sort of hill, and consists of jagged bones and excrement which slowly crumble into dust. More bones and excrement are continually being ejected from Harkonnen, which crumble and are swept away by the eternally raging storms. A sort of staircase leads up the hill to the castle, defended by spears built into the bones on either side of the entrance, which have an independent existence and often impale the citizens just for fun.
The main gate is only an entrance, never an exit, for it has barbs like sharks' teeth which prevent anyone from turning back."

About the Alien's motion, I would like to see some movements like Bolaji Badejo's ALIEN Screen Test. Creepy.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 28, 2016, 09:26:29 AM
Just a technical comment but I started listening last night and it didn't sound like you merged the audio to mono.

I forgot, edited it via my laptop speakers.

The iTunes version will be mono ;)

oduodu

oduodu

I wish everyone posted their pod casts to youtube . So much easier to download. Thanks.

I am not talking about the avpg padcasts. I can download them easily.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Alien³ on Jan 28, 2016, 06:31:48 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 28, 2016, 09:26:29 AM

I forgot, edited it via my laptop speakers.

The iTunes version will be mono ;)

Awesome! I look forward to it.

oduodu

oduodu

Nice podcast . Wow you get so much from hearing people talk.

Thanks

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

Nice Podcast guys! on the subject of discussing Alien Covenant, Ridley has shared a very brief bit of info for us in an article from the Guardian -

'With Alien: Covenant – which is what he's shooting in Sydney – he is, he says, "diddling around" with ideas such as: "Is it Godly or technical? Are we biological or are we created? If created, who created us?"'

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/28/ridley-scott-making-blockbusters-the-martian

Corporal Hicks

He told us we were made last film! Thanks for the link though.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

haha yeah, was thinking that myself!  ???

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2016, 01:20:06 PM

Yeah, it was heavily implied.

But don't forget that the Weyland-Yutani Report speculates they could be a sibling race to us.  :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 29, 2016, 03:12:39 PM

But don't forget that the Weyland-Yutani Report speculates they could be a sibling race to us.  :P

I wonder if they're going to go down the route of them not actually being Jockey's. I know a lot of people would like that.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2016, 03:42:51 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 29, 2016, 03:12:39 PM

I wonder if they're going to go down the route of them not actually being Jockey's. I know a lot of people would like that.
How would that work? Can you elaborate?

Corporal Hicks

There's a popular theory that the Engineers are emulating the Jockey's and not actually them.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I feel something of that nature would be simply too confusing for a general audience. That's a fairly subtle thing that only long time fans are going to really care about I think. Joe Schmoe in 2015 probably saw Alien or Prometheus once or twice and has no real firm grasp of the fundamental details being so different.

They had a goal in mind with Prometheus, retcon the ideas from Alien, and in some sense backfired. Now the best thing they can really do, honestly, is just own it.

I wouldn't even mind the idea of the Engineers being statue-esque human-esque if they weren't implicitly trying to say they A. Made us, B. Were genetically connected to us.

The former annoys me because it's simply not true. It rings hollow. The scenario is so highly implausible for a number of reasons that it distracts from what Ridley's other two Science Fiction films did so damn well: The grounded realism. It's one of the saving graces of the Alien redrafts that they got rid of, as the producers said, "Von Daniken bullsh*t." All that ever does is drag the quality of a Science Fiction piece down, and the only time i've ever really seen it work out okay was Stargate, but that series was tying into mythology and a lighter action-adventure style. The Alien films, were at least, striving for some kind of a grounded reality. A believably. Verisimilitude. 

I wish Scott would take some inspiration from the images of JPL and NASA, from Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" and like the rest of Hollywood, get the needed wake up call that Earth is a spec, amidst a dozen other specs, in a corner of the galaxy that is filled with millions of specs. We're tiny. Not everything relates to our blue ball, nor should it, and half the fun of Alien and Predator is the mystique, the mystery, the intrigue. How the Alien relates to humanity has nothing to do with literal relation. Quite the opposite, what makes it so damn interesting is that we can see some connections to things on Earth in terms of a reproductive cycle that makes plausible sense, but everything else about the creature is different, Alien, to us.

The same goes for the Jockey. But that kind of movie's time has come and gone.

My "Prometheus" would have been a very different movie. It wouldn't be distracted with answering some lofty pretentious question like "Where do we come from?" Because that's a question that the human race in the 21st Century should already more or less generally understand. We came from the by-product of billions of years of evolution on a planet that went through some incredibly dramatic and cataclysmic events to get where it is. We spent the majority of our early evolution starving, scared, and confused.

Though I will say Covenant seems to be borrowing one idea for what my "Alien Prequel" story would have been. Which would have been drawing from history a little bit. Once space travel had been "perfected" by Weyland/Yutani, ships were being churned out to send colonists to the nearest charted stars where habitable and semi habitable worlds were scouted. One ship would be off to a planet, maybe even an exo-planet, with remarkably similar conditions to Earth. Upon arriving they'd find that something evil lurked beneath the surface of an ancient jungle, and instead of the "advanced" settlers bringing a disease to an indigenous people, the indigenous people would introduce the settler's to a disease. The Alien, or a variation.(I always hoped if they did an Alien prequel/spin off, that they might use the winged beast that Giger had drawn as a basis. That thing would be friggin' terrifying if executed right.). The film would end telling us that the events and data had been logged, recorded, received by Weyland-Yutani and archived. Giving us an idea of where they first learned about the alien life form and it's potential as a bio-weapon. Something semi-concrete but not directly showing us "how the Derelict crashed" or anything of that sort.

That's just me, though...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed