Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 79,898 times)

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

There IS a God...

Adam802

Adam802

a lot of sites are reporting that it will be a direct sequel to ALIENS now.  Although nothing is really 100% confirmed yet, i'd be very happy with that.  Not necessarily a copy/remake of ALIENS, but a new sequel that goes in a different direction than A3 did.

Called it!

'I have a feeling if they got rid of A3 and AR they would pass it off as a bad dream and have her wake up 30 something years later.'

UHF

UHF

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 25, 2015, 09:13:59 PM
Alien 3 isn't going anywhere. Even if I love this. Don't see what the problem with a different take  would be.

I've lived with Alien 3 for 23 years of my life.  I think it does matter if they retcon the films, and even though we'll physically still have them, in spirit they'll mean nothing.

I think it's a cheap and lazy way to get back into the franchise.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Eh. Every time a new director came on board the style of the franchise was practically reinvented. That's part of the series' charm. Doesn't make a difference to me if "canon" is altered with this one. I'm much too excited by the idea of it and, like I said, can still always watch Alien 3 and get just as into that film as I would have otherwise been.

Kaya

I really honestly don't know what to say in regards to the response I'm seeing from fans.

This movie is literally the dream of my childhood - to erase the bad taste of Alien 3 and Resurrection. To get a real, true sequel to Aliens that doesn't kill off its main characters in the first five minutes, that gives Ripley a proper send-off and maintains the tone presented in Alien 1 and 2.

It just comes across like this fanbase is utterly impossible to please, and when handed the movie they've always asked for, seem to find some way to complain about it within the first twenty minutes of hearing the basic details.

How many years have people bitched and complained about 3 and R sucking? Don't pretend they were anywhere near as good as Alien or Aliens. They weren't. They sucked. I feel like I'm on a different planet all of a sudden, where Alien 3 gets defended and the concept of a direct sequel to Aliens that maintains its tone is not appreciated. You're out of your minds.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: UHF on Feb 26, 2015, 02:57:37 AM
I've lived with Alien 3 for 23 years of my life.  I think it does matter if they retcon the films, and even though we'll physically still have them, in spirit they'll mean nothing.

It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Alien 3 made an entire run in the comics moot.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I also noticed that this doesn't specifically mean they are retconning anything.

On the one hand, I think that by 'Genetic-sibling' this could just mean an ALIENS-vibe and I agree this is what the final film needs, and what he is well suited for as a director, but on the other hand, retconning is lazy and I'd almost rather they didn't bring Sigourney back if they are going to retcon the mess that A:R was as an ending, and escalate that into making a giant disaster of franchise, instead.

They just got something right by ignoring AVP, and that was deserved because it took a dump on all 4 Alien films...

I will still see the movie but retconning anything is just massively, massively lazy and tells me someone can't write. It doesn't require much thought to simply push where A:R left off, into an ALIENS-like vibe. Especially with how much time has passed.

I just need to hear a good reason for the retcon. Just to bring Hicks back? That's really a lazy terrible unecessary reason to nix two entire sequels.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

A retcon on it's own is not lazy. How it's executed might be. There is a huge creative cavern between those two points that needs to be kept in mind. If Blomkamp has enough pull here and can keep things focused, and if he is indeed doing a retcon, then it'll probably work out fine. However, if Fox starts meddling... Well, things could turn out disastrous.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 26, 2015, 03:52:16 AM
A retcon on it's own is not lazy. How it's executed might be. There is a huge creative cavern between those two points that needs to be kept in mind. If Blomkamp has enough pull here and can keep things focused, and if he is indeed doing a retcon, then it'll probably work out fine. However, if Fox starts meddling... Well, things could turn out disastrous.

Hear, hear.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What I love about this whole thing is Sigourney Weaver's tacit admission that her last two Alien movies were shit.  :laugh:

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Copied from sticky thread I posted in:

Watching the interview through again and listening to Blomkamp's words it sounds as though this isn't going to be a sequel that writes out A3 and Red. His words genetic sibling makes me presume that it will the evolve the franchise like Aliens did from Alien. Two films with different tones and Alien 5 will be the next step. Alien 3 was More offa step back to Alien. If this is right then I will be excited. Hope its clarified properly soon.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think you're in denial.

Adam802

Adam802

I dont see why ANYONE would want to continue from A:R.  Like ive said, Ripley 8 is a horrible character, NOT the true Ripley we all love.  And the story at the end of A:R is SO convoluted and f*cked up, it would be a terrible spot to pick up from. 

Either retcon A3 and A:R, or take place after A3 with new characters.  I'm leaning towards retcon.  And its not lazy, its giving what MOST fans want.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

I will be until it's confirmed. Retconning Alien 3 and Rez is out of the question for me. It comes across as pure nonsense/fan-fiction

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed