Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 09, 2011, 07:01:56 PM

Author
Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus (Read 81,652 times)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 11, 2011, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 11, 2011, 04:38:35 PMThey hear the words "Alien prequel" and therefore expect the plot to revolve around a traditional Xeno chasing and killing a bunch of people.

Not to mention, the word 'prequel' almost always meaning, 'shitty movie'.  :D

:laugh:

Very true.

I believe that Prometheus could be the film to break the prequel curse, due to the route it's taking.  To quote Damon Lindelof...

Quote from: Damon Lindelof, writer of PrometheusI've always felt that really good prequels should be original movies. And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, "Luke, I am your father", by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don't need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can't guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability.

So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be.

But I also do feel that this movie is the movie I would want to see as a fanboy, take place in that Alien universe, which precedes the events of the original Alien, but is not necessarily burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters, and all that stuff that I love... but its sorta like, we've seen it before, can we do something different this time? And thats the movie that Ridley wanted to make. And when you're working with an auteur, you basically just shut your mouth and listen and try to transcribe and channel the vision of that person, and get out of the way.

Seriously, these words need to become the standard template and approach for when making a prequel.

psychonaut25

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 11, 2011, 07:28:50 PM
Quote from: bobcunk on Dec 11, 2011, 07:26:32 PM
wasn't that the original intention of Giger? it also seems to have a clear helmet in the painting. also i remember hearing that the Space jockey wasn't complete when filmed.
Giger said it wasn't painted properly. Just the perfectionist in him.

So there is a possibilty that Jockeys are in fact humanoid looking creatures and the trunk is just a part of a "helmet"

T Dog

Guy on IMDB posted this idea which I quite like:

"The jockey shows evidence of having a 'John Hurt' moment so it's understandable that for all these years we have interpreted this as evidence of the jockey being a victim of the Alien.

It could be however that the warning isn't for members of it's own civilisation but just for other civilisations.

For it's own race this could be a way of extending it's life beyond death like a phoenix.

It had crashed on the planet and hatches out of it's body the means of reproducing itself.

If an organic member of it's own race went through the impregnation process the effects could be beneficial (an alien form of sexual reproduction turning their organic 'gender' into a complete biomechnoid jockey).

But an unprepared species like us would be converted into something new and dangerous (the Alien from the films we have seen), which is why it tries to warn off people and places warning signs around the eggs which accidentally act as a lure to curious humans like Kane."

Biomechanoid20

Biomechanoid20

Quote from: tmjhur on Dec 11, 2011, 08:27:10 PM
It had crashed on the planet and hatches out of it's body the means of reproducing itself.
That is certainly interesting. But if SJ's reproduced asexually, why would their species require eggs? The mystery continues....  :o

Ok, nevermind, I guess the facehuggers/eggs allow them to reproduce, so it's not really asexual. Hmm.

ThisBethesdaSea

Unfortunately, and as much as some people dislike Lindelof.....the people behind Prometheus (however much flawed) are big thinkers. Most of the time when these prequels come out, they're hatched by the Studios (corporations) behind them. George Lucas is no different, he made a series of prequel films, however dazzling to look at had ZERO substance.

In order to make a prequel work, a lot of serious thought has to go into how it can be made fresh and not just a retread, which is just what sequels become. Even ALIENS was a retread in many many ways.

I'm obviously hoping for the best when Prometheus releases, and as a betting man, I believe it will deliver in spades, but I'm also wary as well.

psychonaut25

"The jockey shows evidence of having a 'John Hurt' moment so it's understandable that for all these years we have interpreted this as evidence of the jockey being a victim of the Alien.

It could be however that the warning isn't for members of it's own civilisation but just for other civilisations.

For it's own race this could be a way of extending it's life beyond death like a phoenix.

If an organic member of it's own race went through the impregnation process the effects could be beneficial (an alien form of sexual reproduction turning their organic 'gender' into a complete biomechnoid jockey).

But an unprepared species like us would be converted into something new and dangerous (the Alien from the films we have seen), which is why it tries to warn off people and places warning signs around the eggs which accidentally act as a lure to curious humans like Kane."

OMG. IMDB again as a source of relevant information??  :owhat world we are living in....

St_Eddie

Quote from: psychonaut25 on Dec 11, 2011, 08:46:12 PM

OMG. IMDB again as a source of relevant information??  :owhat world we are living in....

I don't think that the person on IMDB was claiming this as factual.  They were just speculating like the rest of us.  Live and let live. :)

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: psychonaut25 on Dec 11, 2011, 08:20:34 PM

So there is a possibilty that Jockeys are in fact humanoid looking creatures and the trunk is just a part of a "helmet"

I suppose the pipe connected to it's nasal cavity was part of the breathing apparatus

T Dog

Quote from: psychonaut25 on Dec 11, 2011, 08:46:12 PM

It was an idea, as I mentioned when I typed " a guy on IMDB posted this idea".

Darth Vile

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 11, 2011, 08:45:57 PM
Unfortunately, and as much as some people dislike Lindelof.....the people behind Prometheus (however much flawed) are big thinkers. Most of the time when these prequels come out, they're hatched by the Studios (corporations) behind them. George Lucas is no different, he made a series of prequel films, however dazzling to look at had ZERO substance.

In order to make a prequel work, a lot of serious thought has to go into how it can be made fresh and not just a retread, which is just what sequels become. Even ALIENS was a retread in many many ways.

I'm obviously hoping for the best when Prometheus releases, and as a betting man, I believe it will deliver in spades, but I'm also wary as well.

The Star Wars prequels had TOO much substance not "zero". Why tell a story about how democracies slide into dictatorships, where all the characters are either victims are perpetrators, when you can fill it full of loveable pirates, romance  and explosions? The new Star Trek movie was devoid of any real substance... it wasn't "fresh", but it was entertaining enough. Ultimately, a prequel has to work within its own right and as a self contained movie... if its a decent movie, the importance of its links to the previous movies becomes rather academic.

JKS1

Quote from: Darth Vile on Dec 11, 2011, 09:27:36 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 11, 2011, 08:45:57 PM

The Star Wars prequels had TOO much substance not "zero". Why tell a story about how democracies slide into dictatorships, where all the characters are either victims are perpetrators, when you can fill it full of loveable pirates, romance  and explosions? The new Star Trek movie was devoid of any real substance... it wasn't "fresh", but it was entertaining enough. Ultimately, a prequel has to work within its own right and as a self contained movie... if its a decent movie, the importance of its links to the previous movies becomes rather academic.

The stories and plotlines of the Star Wars prequels werent the problem

The shitty CGI, in particluar CGI characters, ruined them

josh_axey

Darth Vile

Quote from: JKS1 on Dec 11, 2011, 09:43:05 PM

That seems a rather sweeping generalistaion... I wouldn't reduce the employemnt and advancementy of cutting edge technolgy to "shitty CGI". It seems rather simplistic. There was possibly an over abundance of it that the movies didn't need... but when did Lucas ever hold back at throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Star Wars movies?

JKS1

Quote from: Darth Vile on Dec 12, 2011, 11:02:07 AM
Quote from: JKS1 on Dec 11, 2011, 09:43:05 PM

That seems a rather sweeping generalistaion... I wouldn't reduce the employemnt and advancementy of cutting edge technolgy to "shitty CGI". It seems rather simplistic. There was possibly an over abundance of it that the movies didn't need... but when did Lucas ever hold back at throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Star Wars movies?

Yes it is a generalisation...I'm not gonna write an essay on a forum on what I didnt like about the star wars movies - especially since its off topic

But I stand by the statement that thats mainly what ruined the movies for me :cartoonish CGI.......Haydn Christiansen didnt help also, what with his charisma bypass and god awful wooden so called 'acting'

I dont care how 'cutting edge' or 'advanced' the CGI were in star wars I,II,III (or Avatar for that matter) - they were still obviously CGI and made many parts of those movies look like nothing more than a glorified cartoon mixed with live action - very much akin to 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' or 'Roger Rabbit'

Some of the scenes in 'Revenge of the sith' were very clearly set up to look and 'play out' exactly like a video game too - you could tell that Lucas shamelessly and blatantly had 'marketing, spinoffs and cashback' at the forefront of his mind, rather than artistic integrity, when he created some of those sequences

The less CGI in Prometheus the better as far as Im concerned

Samus007

Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 11, 2011, 07:53:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 11, 2011, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 11, 2011, 04:38:35 PMThey hear the words "Alien prequel" and therefore expect the plot to revolve around a traditional Xeno chasing and killing a bunch of people.

Not to mention, the word 'prequel' almost always meaning, 'shitty movie'.  :D

:laugh:

Very true.

I believe that Prometheus could be the film to break the prequel curse, due to the route it's taking.  To quote Damon Lindelof...

Quote from: Damon Lindelof, writer of PrometheusI've always felt that really good prequels should be original movies. And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, "Luke, I am your father", by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don't need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can't guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability.

So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be.

But I also do feel that this movie is the movie I would want to see as a fanboy, take place in that Alien universe, which precedes the events of the original Alien, but is not necessarily burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters, and all that stuff that I love... but its sorta like, we've seen it before, can we do something different this time? And thats the movie that Ridley wanted to make. And when you're working with an auteur, you basically just shut your mouth and listen and try to transcribe and channel the vision of that person, and get out of the way.

Seriously, these words need to become the standard template and approach for when making a prequel.

Well, except he did miss one thing... Star Wars was basically watched out of order initially. If it hadn't been planned that way it would make more sense, ie Episode IV has actually been I, it'd be different.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed