PROMETHEUS 2 titled revealed by Ridley Scott: ALIEN: PARADISE LOST

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Sep 24, 2015, 04:24:48 PM

Author
PROMETHEUS 2 titled revealed by Ridley Scott: ALIEN: PARADISE LOST (Read 54,348 times)

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 25, 2015, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 25, 2015, 10:11:53 AM
Quote from: tmjhur on Sep 25, 2015, 10:01:31 AMAlso does anyone remember the report that came out a year and a bit ago saying Prometheus 2 was going to be more Alienish......

No. Literally every report said the sequel was going to be less Alien... because that's what Ridley repeatedly said. That's why I'm so concerned by this apparent u-turn.

The last we heard of that was almost a year ago though. It's not unlikely one of the writers put him back onto Alien.

Didn't the News section post an update from Bloody Disgusting a couple of days ago where Ridley Scott reaffirms that the 2nd film will not have references at all to Alien and that it'll be the 3rd film instead that will have it?  Regardless, I'll try to be more optimistic about this film anyway as it isn't healthy to get so upset about something that hasn't been released yet.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 25, 2015, 09:12:29 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Sep 25, 2015, 10:01:31 AMAlso does anyone remember the report that came out a year and a bit ago saying Prometheus 2 was going to be more Alienish......

No. Literally every report said the sequel was going to be less Alien... because that's what Ridley repeatedly said. That's why I'm so concerned by this apparent u-turn.

The last we heard of that was almost a year ago though. It's not unlikely one of the writers put him back onto Alien.

Didn't the News section post an update from Bloody Disgusting a couple of days ago where Ridley Scott reaffirms that the 2nd film will not have references at all to Alien and that it'll be the 3rd film instead that will have it?  Regardless, I'll try to be more optimistic about this film anyway as it isn't healthy to get so upset about something that hasn't been released yet.

You mean this? http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/08/17/is-the-new-alien-sequel-being-held-back-by-prometheus-2/

No. That's not mentioned in it. Last time I can recall was his whole "Gods and Dragons" thing.

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 25, 2015, 09:14:55 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 25, 2015, 09:12:29 PM

You mean this? http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/08/17/is-the-new-alien-sequel-being-held-back-by-prometheus-2/

No. That's not mentioned in it. Last time I can recall was his whole "Gods and Dragons" thing.

Actually, I meant this (quote below): http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/09/23/ridley-scott-talks-prometheus-3-and-4/

QuoteFunny enough, in an interview with German website FilmFutter, Scott confirms that Prometheus does in fact connect with Alien, only not in the next sequel*.

"It won't be in the next one," explained Scott. "It will be in the one after this one or maybe even a fourth film before we get back into the Alien franchise...

This was only 2 days before he decided to title the new film "Alien: Paradise Lost".

Corporal Hicks

Fair enough. I've got nothing for that. Only that the new reports are clearly contradicting this. Does anyone else think it feels like back when Alien Prequel swapped to Prometheus in the first place? xD

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 25, 2015, 09:26:58 PM
Fair enough. I've got nothing for that. Only that the new reports are clearly contradicting this. Does anyone else think it feels like back when Alien Prequel swapped to Prometheus in the first place? xD

[Raises hand]

Corporal Hicks

And I only mean from an unclear point of view. Just to clarify. lol

Biggles

Perhaps, like a TV series showrunner that's been told his series will be cancelled, Scott is having to.move up his vague plans to re-Alienfy the prequel films.

Honestly though, who knows? Scott is basically an IRL troll at this point.

T Dog

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Sep 25, 2015, 07:36:15 PM
She's the Chosen One  :o

So the original Alien movie and Space Jockey etc MASSIVELY influenced The Metroid series.
Now the Metroid series is repaying the favour and MASSIVELY influencing the Alien movies.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: david8 on Sep 25, 2015, 01:43:28 AM
In Paradise Lost, Satan and his fellow fallen angels planned to poison earth and God's favored creation - man. If the engineers on 223 are indeed fallen angels then they weren't responsible for the creation of man. Thus having Paradise Lost in the title already implicitly answers alot lol

Also of note is WHY they tried to poison us - because the creator loved us more than them. So this kinda explains a lot, if you follow the Paradise Lost thread. Ridley said there were two factions. In Paradise Lost, there is the angels and the fallen angels. The fallen angels were cast out of heaven and they try to destroy the human race because god loves them. Satan apears to Adam and Eve as the snake to achieve this...

Quote from: Biggles on Sep 25, 2015, 10:11:25 PM
Perhaps, like a TV series showrunner that's been told his series will be cancelled, Scott is having to.move up his vague plans to re-Alienfy the prequel films.

Honestly though, who knows? Scott is basically an IRL troll at this point.

I think despite all the knots, what we have now makes a lot of sense. Months ago Scott stated explicitly that he was trying to come up with a new version of the monster for the 2nd act of the Prometheus sequel. Now he has explained the tie-in toe Paradise Lost and has stated this film will basically revolve around why the alien was made and what it was made to combat.
This does link the Prometheus canon up to Alien in a way that warrants tacking ALIEN in the title.
Alot of this also has to do with marketing. When it concerned PROMETHEUS, adding ALIEN to the title wasn't a smart move. First, fans would have been pissed off their were NO aliens in the film and second, if it were called ALIEN: PROMETHEUS, it would have unnecessarily turned away viewers who believe they needed to know the ALIEN franchise to see it, or worse they would have expected a film that Prometheus wasn't. Which, even despite multiple press releases from Scott, fans were still disappointed by.
In this case, the film is explicitly about why the Engineers, well, engineered the Alien... and it seems the answer is either 'to poison us' or something else.
But if this is what the film explains, then having ALIEN in the title is wise because it lets people know there is information in this film that ties-into the ALIEN franchise in a way they will find important.
As for the Ripley tie-in, I'd wager this will be something simple, like a message sent to the mining colony explaining why they replaced the science officer at the last minute or something to that effect.

Biggles

You speak sense; and I hope this is what happens. I would love the whole thing to tie neatly in to Alien in the way that it looked very much like it wasn't going to after Prometheus was de-Alienified.

david8

Lol it sounds like that this is going to be the true Alien prequel that most craved and were excited for in the first place. When Ridley said that Prometheus was "florid and grandiose", I sense that he has realised the follies of being over-ambitious and convoluted, and I suspect that the studio execs insisted on bringing it back to its Alien roots more authentically. Heck, maybe Ridley was made aware of Isolation and saw that the old beast can still be terrifying when executed right. All I can say is that I'm genuinely excited, cautious, but excited of the prospect of Giger's aesthetic returning completely this time.

FiorinaFury161

Still excited! I am starting to think this film might be a flashback to the history of the engineers when/if Shaw and David get there.

Samus007

All this news that keeps slowly coming out really has me excited. I can't wait to see what he has in mind! I never thought i'd be back in the 80s (figuratively speaking) again when it comes to movies. I mean, we get to look forward to several Star Wars movies, a blade Runner Sequel, more Alien films, a new Ghostbusters movies(s), the list goes on! Of course some of these could suck or be mediocre (The latest Terminator comes to mind) but i'll keep my fingers crossed they don't!  ;D

Liberator

It sounds like he has his feet on the ground now.  I think we can all look forward to it.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Darkness on Sep 25, 2015, 09:10:31 PM
My guess is they'll simplify the whole Black Liquid scenario and we'll find out the Engineers are directly creating xenomorphs for weapons on their planet. The Deacon creature was just an accident that didn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't see how he can stretch this idea out for another two prequels after this one though. The movies have to feature more humans than just Shaw and David.

As for the Ripley connections, no idea. Depends how far they jump ahead in the sequels. Ripley's just a young girl at this point. Maybe they meet somebody with a connection to her.

Maybe Ripley as a child will fit in somewhere.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed