Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 108,223 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Apr 12, 2019, 04:52:33 PM
If Hicks ever does a podcast with the authors, please ask why they forgot Dietrich was a medtech. Also, what was up with the whole squad treating Wierzbowski like crap in "Blowback?" :P

It's unlikely.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 12, 2019, 04:20:32 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 12, 2019, 01:51:03 PM
The stories featuring characters from Aliens are generally among the worst ones. On balance, most of the original stuff was better.

It's a situation made worse by the fact all the Aliens-alumni stories are lumped together.

I actually quite like the Bishop one but the Hicks one was hands-down the worse entry in this anthology for me. Also agreed on the spacing. The story placement in the anthology was also really questionable too.

I didn't mind the Hicks one.  The Bishop one... nah.  Seemed to dodge everything about Bishop we know from the films.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 12, 2019, 01:51:03 PM

It's a situation made worse by the fact all the Aliens-alumni stories are lumped together.

You're really not wrong. I felt like the Bishop and Hicks ones would have been alright as stand-alone stories but with film characters shoehorned in their issues are hugely amplified. The hicks one in particular really tried both my patience and suspense of disbelief, then it immediately goes on to several more stories about film characters I cared less about with each new story. Where does it pick up?

HuDaFuK

The second half of the book is generally better.

Off the top of my head, the only one I really loved from the first half dozen stories or so was Reaper. Later on Zero to Hero, Deep Background, Empty Nest, Hugs to Die For, Deep Black, Distressed and Dangerous Prey were all pretty solid.

Huggs

I only remember about 2 of the stories. Neither of them by name though.

I really love this format. It wasn't as good as what we got with predator, but it can be in the future. It's nice to have so many creature features in one book. I'd love to see this sort of thing put out regularly.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 13, 2019, 04:29:16 PMI only remember about 2 of the stories. Neither of them by name though.

Benefits of working on a wiki about Alien :P

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 13, 2019, 04:29:16 PMI really love this format. It wasn't as good as what we got with predator, but it can be in the future. It's nice to have so many creature features in one book. I'd love to see this sort of thing put out regularly.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the format, even if a bunch of the Alien stories were lacking. I also really liked that we got some stories without the actual Aliens, and some of those were among the best.

Ultramorph

I liked the one with the Marines fighting the flying monsters that excreted gas the company wanted to harvest for fuel. Didn't much care for the Bishop story or the one where they get those weird beetles attached to themselves.

HuDaFuK

Did anyone ever pick up the revised edition of this that supposedly fixed the Burke story?

SM

Nah. I bought the ebook which I thought would be simple to fix but it was in there too.

I'd be interested to know how they fixed it. It wasn't just a typo.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 16, 2019, 08:18:38 AM
Did anyone ever pick up the revised edition of this that supposedly fixed the Burke story?
I forgot there even was a revised version. How can you tell the difference which one you're buying? I'd feel like an idiot if I bought it again and got the un-revised version *again*. :P

Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2019, 08:37:26 AM
Nah. I bought the ebook which I thought would be simple to fix but it was in there too.

I'd be interested to know how they fixed it. It wasn't just a typo.
How recently have you checked the ebook? It might be a rolling revision of some kind.

Edit-- I went ahead and messaged Titan directly to ask about the revised edition.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 16, 2019, 04:23:02 PMI forgot there even was a revised version. How can you tell the difference which one you're buying? I'd feel like an idiot if I bought it again and got the un-revised version *again*. :P

I can't even say for certain that there is a corrected version, I've only heard second-hand that a revised edition was done that fixed the Burke story in particular.

As for how you could be sure which you're getting - short of picking one up in a book shop and seeing "second edition" printed in amongst the production blurb at the start, I really don't know how you could be certain :-\

Xenomrph

Well, hopefully Titan responds to my questions!

Local Trouble

Does anyone in the book actually define the titular "bug hunt?"  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 16, 2019, 04:50:18 PM
As for how you could be sure which you're getting - short of picking one up in a book shop and seeing "second edition" printed in amongst the production blurb at the start, I really don't know how you could be certain :-\

That's your easy answer! Check them out in the book store, see if the Burke story has lot its editors notes.

HuDaFuK

Sadly I've not seen a copy of Bug Hunt in an actual shop for more than a year, otherwise I would have :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed