A plethora of information leaked

Started by JaaayDee, Apr 05, 2011, 10:26:53 PM

Author
A plethora of information leaked (Read 35,122 times)

yaujta

yaujta

i prefere predator, but im still a huge aliens fan, i just dont like the sound of this movie, nothing is realy gettin me psyked to see it. and i think ther guna reveal all the mystery behind the aliens origin and probably ruin it. i think another alien movie made like a real sci-fi horror like the 1st movie would be great, bring back 'scary' aliens.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: yaujta on Apr 09, 2011, 07:19:20 PM
i prefere predator, but im still a huge aliens fan, i just dont like the sound of this movie, nothing is realy gettin me psyked to see it. and i think ther guna reveal all the mystery behind the aliens origin and probably ruin it. i think another alien movie made like a real sci-fi horror like the 1st movie would be great, bring back 'scary' aliens.

If there are even aliens in this movie, that is probably what it will be.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: JRZNIN on Apr 25, 2011, 09:21:38 PM
I hope Scott stays clear of anything homosexual.  Cause that will be scarier than ANY Alien creature he or Giger could come up with.

I actually think it's a step in the right direction, considering the Alien is supposed to be sexual to begin with. Makes it that much more disturbing.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 26, 2011, 01:45:34 AM
I actually think it's a step in the right direction, considering the Alien is supposed to be sexual to begin with. Makes it that much more disturbing.

I respectfully disagree.  I think the "sexual" imagery and context within Alien is meant subliminally, and is meant to operate on the viewer at a sub-concious level.  If you look at it from a purely scientific/biological perspective, there is absolutely no reason for the Alien organism to "understand" and exploit the sexual dimorphism between human males and females.  After all, it's parasitic life-cycle involves implanting an "egg" down a human hosts trachea.   The trachea/lung/respiratory systems is the same in homo-sapiens (males and females).

It makes even less sense in the absurd "Alien Harvest" pseudo-script.  Here, we are to believe that an intelligent, highly technological civilization (The Space Jockey's) have little to no understanding of biology, and are not curious enough to examine their human captives in order to determine the method and means of reproduction.  Even if the Space Jockey's reproduced offspring in a completely "alien" manner to humans...one would still think that a race intelligent enough to build interstellar spacecraft would be smart enough to form an accurate model of how an unrelated species (humans) pro-create. 

Bad Replicant

I hope Scott stays clear of anything homosexual.  Cause that will be scarier than ANY Alien creature he or Giger could come up with.

*Director reads and promptly drops Rapace/Theron love scene from shooting schedule*

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: deuterium on Apr 26, 2011, 02:48:55 AM

I respectfully disagree.  I think the "sexual" imagery and context within Alien is meant subliminally, and is meant to operate on the viewer at a sub-concious level.  If you look at it from a purely scientific/biological perspective, there is absolutely no reason for the Alien organism to "understand" and exploit the sexual dimorphism between human males and females.  After all, it's parasitic life-cycle involves implanting an "egg" down a human hosts trachea.   The trachea/lung/respiratory systems is the same in homo-sapiens (males and females).
Scott said the same thing [more or less]. He's never acknowledged that the Alien actually raped Lambert [he said she very likely just had a heart attack] and rebuffed Sigounrey's comment that the Alien was sexually interested in the crew. The sexuality concept comes from its design, or from Giger. It works subliminally but isn't meant to be literal. Of course, I suppose that's where a lot of the horror comes from, not knowing exactly what's going on.

Pn2501

Pn2501

It makes even less sense in the absurd "Alien Harvest" pseudo-script.  Here, we are to believe that an intelligent, highly technological civilization (The Space Jockey's) have little to no understanding of biology, and are not curious enough to examine their human captives in order to determine the method and means of reproduction.  Even if the Space Jockey's reproduced offspring in a completely "alien" manner to humans...one would still think that a race intelligent enough to build interstellar spacecraft would be smart enough to form an accurate model of how an unrelated species (humans) pro-create.

That's the most rational explanation I've seen against that sexual element of the harvest script nice work....

..Although, if the species and the biology on its planet are completely alien to how we comprehend biology, and they had only encountered males of the species, its logical they couldn't create an accurate model of human procreation, also the script references that jockeys also rely on other post industrial means of technology ie wood blocks (lol) and farming, as for them understanding interstellar flight and not understand advanced human biology I refer you to the harry turtledove work of fiction
"A Road not taken".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_%28short_story%29

And a reminder we are talking about Science Fiction here.

Valaquen

Valaquen

There are so many wild and weird forms of reproduction here on Earth, I don't know if there is an analogue we can't compare alien reproduction to. Look at insects, plants, micro-organisms. Very weird. Some very disgusting, revolting, and scary. Thank feck for human reproduction :P

Brego

Brego

Or perhaps Ridley can set the whole film in Southern America where most of the racist and homophobic population are terrified to learn that there are people in the world who do not fear ancient scriptures and are actually able to live lives free of xenophiles like you.  All of these morons are loaded on to a predator ship and dropped on the Alien home world where they basically die of starvation and boredom because not ever the Aliens want to touch these f**k heads and ruin the xenomorph bloodline!  Sarah Palin could play the wanna be President of this new population on human refugee's.  The last scene see's her beg for help from the Alien Queen Mother who quickly kills herself because of the shock of seeing such a hideous Alien species............
What a fantatstic story line...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Which is why it would work. The Alien isn't going after a man because it wants to explore homosexuality. It's going after the man because it just wants a host.

Prison_Mike

But why would the Alien have some sort of seperate reproduction system that is WAY to similar to our own?

CainsSon

CainsSon

Actually, if the SJ's are ASEXUAL, as are the Xenos, there is no reason to assume they would understand human reproduction and if they are exploring biomechanics then these experiments make perfect sense. Also, how can it be odd to you that an intelligent creature not be able to understand an organism's lifecycle just by looking at it. Are we to assume the humans are ignorant in ALIEN? Because thats exactly what happens in ALIEN. In many ways that script isvery complimentary to alien... I agree 100% that it is a smart direction to take.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: CainsSon on Apr 27, 2011, 08:59:21 PM
Actually, if the SJ's are ASEXUAL, as are the Xenos, there is no reason to assume they would understand human reproduction and if they are exploring biomechanics then these experiments make perfect sense. Also, how can it be odd to you that an intelligent creature not be able to understand an organism's lifecycle just by looking at it. Are we to assume the humans are ignorant in ALIEN? Because thats exactly what happens in ALIEN. In many ways that script isvery complimentary to alien... I agree 100% that it is a smart direction to take.

In answer to your first sentence...
we (intelligent humans) have been able to use modern science (especially Biology, Molecular Biology and Chemistry) to fundamentally understand the mechanism(s) of replication/reproduction across the diverse panalopy of terrestrial, organic Life.  We don't reproduce asexually, but that hasn't stopped us from determining the methods and mechanisms employed by the countless organisms on Earth that do reproduce asexually.  Nor has it prevented us from understanding the life cycle of inumerable organisms that, from our perspective, are bizarre and quite "alien".  Furthermore, our knowledge encompasses the entire hierarchical levels in which Evolution works, from demes, to individual organisms, all the way down to the level of genes.

As to the rest of your reply...
My post was specifically targeted at the "Alien Harvest" script, so your discussion of the Nostromo team in the original "Alien" movie is besides the point.  My argument was/is that the Space Jockey race, as depicted in "Alien Harvest", is counter intuitive to what we would expect of an intelligent, technological race.

However, since you did bring up the humans on the Nostromo...
The Nostromo's science division (Ash) was able to learn quite a bit about the Alien, despite only having a dead face hugger to study...e.g. outer layer of protein polysaccharides, it replaced it's cells with "polarized silicon", it's structure allowed for prolonged survival in adverse environmental conditions, etc.  And that is just the stuff that Ash disclosed to Ripley.  We (the audience) are given the implicit impression that Ash also knew that the facehugger had "impregnated" Kane with it's offspring, and that something bad was going to happen to Kane when the offspring gestated.  Ash saw the "stain" on Kane's lung during the bio-scan, and evidentlly could put 2 and 2 together.  If you watch the chestburster scene carefully, you see Ash being strangely observant of Kane, even before he goes into seizures.  Ash also is the one who recommended fire (hence the flame-throwers) as a possible weapon against the Alien.  So, while the regular crew may have been more or less clueless with regards to the Alien, the Science Officer certainly had "collated" quite a bit of salient data on the creature...and in a remarkably short period of time.

Yet, in "Alien Harvest", the Space Jockey's are either incredibly dumb, or incredibly lazy (or perhaps both).  Despite having multiple human specimens to analyze and observe for an extended period of time (at least months, possibly years), they resort to MIND CONTROL (mental telepathy, I kid you not) in order to induce one specimen to insert his reproductive organ into another specimen's waste canal.  Yeah, as if utilizing a waste canal as a locus for embroynic incubation could possibly be a successful evolutionary reproductive strategy.  Apparently the Space Jockey's were interstellar engineers...but "rocket scientists" they were not.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Prison_Mike on Apr 27, 2011, 05:03:11 PM
But why would the Alien have some sort of seperate reproduction system that is WAY to similar to our own?

Do they?

ThisBethesdaSea

Deuterium....great response. My only hesitation 'for' the mind control male on male coitus is that if the Space Jockeys haven't been presented with a female of the human species, they either deduce that humans reproduce asexually or together, gender notwithstanding. Because a penis is both a sexual organ and a vehicle for liquid waste removal, they could deduct that the anal canal acts in much the same way. Just a thought.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed