New UK Poster

Started by Necronomicon II, Apr 04, 2017, 01:34:25 PM

Author
New UK Poster (Read 28,894 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Ouch. If this was sitting in a gamestop window with alien isolation 2 printed on it...it might work. I don't mean to be critical. I'm sure someone worked hard on it. But this feels more like fan art than a studio poster; Daniels looks slightly like Claude Rains.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 05, 2017, 02:26:44 PM
Do you care about ordinary people?

I'm not even sure what you're getting at with this comment.

QuoteIt's an art. It must be provoking, intriguing and compelling. And it's way better than this ... thing.

Artistically, yes. I've already said it's very visually impressive. But it still has no logical message which is being conveyed. Most people who stopped to look at it in a cinema foyer would be compelled to look at it, but they'd have no idea what it's trying to say about the film's story.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 05, 2017, 04:04:22 PM
Ouch. If this was sitting in a gamestop window with alien isolation 2 printed on it...it might work. I don't mean to be critical. I'm sure someone worked hard on it. But this feels more like fan art than a studio poster; Daniels looks slightly like Claude Rains.

I've seen tons of studio made posters that look this bad or worse, bad photoshop is very common these days. I agree it does look bad but i'm honestly surprised by how surprised the reaction to the quality of it has been. Especially when almost every film coming out of hollywood has at least one terrible poster.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 05, 2017, 04:20:36 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 05, 2017, 02:26:44 PM
Do you care about ordinary people?

I'm not even sure what you're getting at with this comment.

You previously posted that: I'm not at all sure what kind of a thematic message an ordinary person would be meant to take away from that. Then I asked: do you care about ordinary people (regarding your statement)?

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 05, 2017, 04:20:36 PM
QuoteIt's an art. It must be provoking, intriguing and compelling. And it's way better than this ... thing.

Artistically, yes. I've already said it's very visually impressive. But it still has no logical message which is being conveyed. Most people who stopped to look at it in a cinema foyer would be compelled to look at it, but they'd have no idea what it's trying to say about the film's story.

I would get intrigued by it. It's just different from what we can see in cinemas today. Some people who wouldn't have an idea what it's trying to say about the film itself might try to google it and decide to see it. Cinema-goers like new stuff. When people, who are not Alien maniacs, look at this cheap cliche designed poster with Daniels and Xenomorph might think: eh ... another boring monster slasher. Let's skip it.

Predaker

Predaker

...except the Alien is one of the most recognized creatures in film. Virtually no one who might be remotely interested is going to see Alien and think "oh, just another monster film."

And Xenomorphine is right. While that Prometheus poster may be artistically inspired and/or interesting to look at, it doesn't actually resonate with the film itself or have a thematic connection. Even the font used for the lettering is off (that is a different matter though.)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 05, 2017, 06:40:11 PM
...except the Alien is one of the most recognized creatures in film. Virtually no one who might be remotely interested is going to see Alien and think "oh, just another monster film."

And Xenomorphine is right. While that Prometheus poster may be artistically inspired and/or interesting to look at, it doesn't actually resonate with the film itself or have a thematic connection. Even the font used for the lettering is off (that is a different matter though.)

What about this?

It's intriguing. It's artistic and looks cool.

Predaker

Predaker

Engineer boogers!  :D

J/k

That is a nice one.

Ingwar

Ingwar

It has huge thematic connection. We can see an Engineer's face and human foetus inside his head/mind. It's a simple symbolism and a statement that we, homo sapiens come from them. That we, humans are their (Engineers') idea.

You're right about the font. It could have been different but it's not a big deal. Font can be easily changed.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Its fits for me as well, it connects that the Engineers are our creators and there is some nice Xeno stuff going on inside him as well.

Besides posters don't have to tell the viewer everything about a movie, it just has get your attention and get you interested, which this one does.

Also this franchise has a history with vague artistic posters.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 05, 2017, 07:18:05 PM
Its fits for me as well, it connects that the Engineers are our creators and there is some nice Xeno stuff going on inside him as well.

Yeah, there is Xeno's skull above human foetus.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 05, 2017, 07:18:05 PM
Also this franchise has a history with vague artistic posters.

Imagine people in 1979 staring at this poster and thinking: what the hell?

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 05, 2017, 07:01:33 PM

It has huge thematic connection. We can see an Engineer's face and human foetus inside his head/mind. It's a simple symbolism and a statement that we, homo sapiens come from them. That we, humans are their (Engineers') idea.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0652/4771/files/Prometheus_Regular_Edition_grande.jpg?v=1490008256

You're right about the font. It could have been different but it's not a big deal. Font can be easily changed.

They didn't really create humans using their minds or imagination though. They simply copied themselves/spread their DNA. I know what you mean though and thought the same when I saw it.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 05, 2017, 07:24:38 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 05, 2017, 07:01:33 PM

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0652/4771/files/Prometheus_Regular_Edition_grande.jpg?v=1490008256

They didn't really create humans using their minds or imagination though. They simply copied themselves/spread their DNA. I know what you mean though and thought the same when I saw it.

Any idea has its begging inside our head. Mind if you prefer. By using their minds they created (?) that liquid (we can see it n the prologue) to dissolve their DNA and create new life (sometimes to create, one must first destroy). Therefore they created us by using their minds.

Predaker

Predaker

That's assuming it was the engineer's idea(s) to begin with, which Prometheus didn't address.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 05, 2017, 07:45:44 PM
That's assuming it was the engineer's idea(s) to begin with, which Prometheus didn't address.

Yeah you're right. This is what we could assume by watching it. It doesn't matter if it's true or not. It was Prometheus' major concept and it's displayed on that poster.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 05, 2017, 07:51:13 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 05, 2017, 07:45:44 PM

Yeah you're right. This is what we could assume by watching it. It doesn't matter if it's true or not. It was Prometheus' major concept and it's displayed on that poster.

But the idea or theme of the poster isn't present in Prometheus. We don't know why the engineers created humans or if it was even their idea to begin with. It's one of the issues with the film. If it were true that it wasn't the engineers idea to create humans, that poster would be even more incongruous. The film pretends to be smart while that poster actually is smart.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed