Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 09, 2011, 07:01:56 PM

Author
Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus (Read 81,616 times)

zuzuki

Prequel or not, i will be dissapointed if the events  in this movie, will negate the ones in alien

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 11, 2011, 04:44:04 AM
The Xenos aren't scary, the formula is tired and worn out.

I'd disagree with that. It depends how it's executed.

They haven't been portrayed with a genuinely menacing presence/atmosphere since 1986, in my view. There's a reason why people keep rewatching the first two films and can still be entertained by them and that they're familiar with what the creatures look like and do doesn't detract from that.

Quote from: nendo on Dec 11, 2011, 11:30:03 AM
I don't think its strange at all. Think about it from Foxs and Ridleys point of view. If they attach it as a prequel to alien there wouldn't be any other place to lead it other than towards the first alien film. I'm thinking both Ridley and Fox would like to have this branch out of the "alien" universe and make a brand new story arc arc wihtout people expecting it to lead directly into the story of alien. It would somewhat limit them into how experimental they could be.

Why? None of that in any way negates it being a prequel.

You can have a film set before 'Jurassic Park' revolving around the race to get all the genetic codes necessary for the park to function. It could be some sort of Tom Clancy-esque techno-thriller, based around corporate espionage, completely different in tone from any of the others made before it.

But just because it wouldn't have the actual dinosaurs in it wouldn't mean it somehow isn't a prequel.

The only way this isn't a prequel is if they've decided, instead of setting it before 'Alien' to set it either between or after the existing sequels. That way, it's not technically a sequel to the first.

But considering we already know they're using 'Weyland' labels and the director said that's because it's set before the company later becomes Weyland-Yutani, that's not very likely.

QuoteAlso the "alien" franchise has become so tired and old and I think both know that. So why associate it with something that's people are just gonna think "oh that franchise again" which people will think, there's more than us lot on these boards to think about. We are a minority.

You mean like the James Bond films? Because, damn, yeah... No way yet another one of those is ever going to get any interest from the public!

Oh, wait... :D

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ash 937 on Dec 11, 2011, 12:47:51 AM
Idk, the more pictures I see, the more I get convinced that this isn't gonna be the Alien prequel that I hoped for.   It looks like a movie that is all about space jockeys and exploration rather than dark corridors and menacing xenomorphs.  We've already been inside the derelict space ship and it was slow and boring.  I have a feeling this film is going to be a lot slower, maybe even as slow as 2001: A Space Odyssey, and that it will be heavy on dialogue instead of action.  This might be cool if Quentin Tarantino has written the movie but I think we're just gonna get a lot of regular science talk instead.  Oh yeah, the jockeys are intelligent too so they will also probably talk so we will probably have to read subtitles for this movie too.  Who wants any of that?

They should have just made Aliens: Colonial Marines into a full-fledged Alien film instead of this.  Besides, Battlestar Gallactica was always better than Lost anyway.

Now you're posting the exact same text in multiple threads?!  Are you actually trying to be a troll or does it just come naturally?

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=41034.90

ThisBethesdaSea

And what does Battlestar Galactica have anything to do with anything?

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 11, 2011, 03:36:35 AM
What's for definite is that the original film shows organic bone/fossil in places this is composed of metal. Unless post-production is just using it as a 'ribbed for her pleasure'-style guide to texture skin over... That would work.

I was thinking this, as well. It might just have been built for lighting reference, and for the actors to interact with, and they might add texture in post.

Spider-pope

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 11, 2011, 12:23:54 PM

You can have a film set before 'Jurassic Park' revolving around the race to get all the genetic codes necessary for the park to function. It could be some sort of Tom Clancy-esque techno-thriller, based around corporate espionage, completely different in tone from any of the others made before it.

But just because it wouldn't have the actual dinosaurs in it wouldn't mean it somehow isn't a prequel.

The only way this isn't a prequel is if they've decided, instead of setting it before 'Alien' to set it either between or after the existing sequels. That way, it's not technically a sequel to the first.

But considering we already know they're using 'Weyland' labels and the director said that's because it's set before the company later becomes Weyland-Yutani, that's not very likely.

I wouldnt want to put words in his mouth, but the way i saw his post was that he was suggesting the reason why its not such a direct prequel to Alien is so that a sequel to Prometheus wouldnt necessarily have to continue forwards towards the first film nor tie directly into it.

So if for arguments sake Prometheus was set 1 year before Alien, Prometheus 2 wouldnt necessarily be set 6 months before Alien and carry on leading up to that film, but could go off on a tangent establishing a parallel story to Alien if Fox wanted to continue it as a franchise.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Spider-pope on Dec 11, 2011, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 11, 2011, 12:23:54 PM

I wouldnt want to put words in his mouth, but the way i saw his post was that he was suggesting the reason why its not such a direct prequel to Alien is so that a sequel to Prometheus wouldnt necessarily have to continue forwards towards the first film nor tie directly into it.

So if for arguments sake Prometheus was set 1 year before Alien, Prometheus 2 wouldnt necessarily be set 6 months before Alien and carry on leading up to that film, but could go off on a tangent establishing a parallel story to Alien if Fox wanted to continue it as a franchise.

I'm with Xenomorphine on this; if it's set in the same universe as Alien and takes place before the events depicted in Alien, then it's a prequel.  However, Ridley and co are right to avoid using the term prequel because there's an awful lot of people out there who lack imagination.  They hear the words "Alien prequel" and therefore expect the plot to revolve around a traditional Xeno chasing and killing a bunch of people.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 11, 2011, 04:38:35 PMThey hear the words "Alien prequel" and therefore expect the plot to revolve around a traditional Xeno chasing and killing a bunch of people.

Not to mention, the word 'prequel' almost always meaning, 'shitty movie'.  :D

psychonaut25

Prometheus is not a prequel

warneford87

I have it on very good authority from a friend that has worked on the movie that the space jockeys will NOT be elephantine in appearance, they will in fact look very humanoid indeed. The "trunk" is actually a breathing apparatus.

psychonaut25

But that WILL in a conflict with wht we have seen in Alien...the dead jockey have elephantine trunk made like from a bone...interesting. If the appearance of jockeys is very human like, that will be ....ehm....cheesy

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: zuzuki on Dec 11, 2011, 11:55:14 AM
Prequel or not, i will be dissapointed if the events  in this movie, will negate the ones in alien

... if the events of the prequel will betray the mistery of original film, revealing premises and consequences of certain scenes, so that watching Alien you would know how Cane is going to end up. Just take a look at Jon Spaihts' script "Alien Harvest" and you'll get the idea, what I mean.

And for that matter, I even would prefer not seeing Space Jockey being facehugged, not to spot the hugger on its own. Let them remain undiscovered untill the original movie.

Xenomorphine, I totally agree with you in that Creatures lost their eerie traits since Aliens, hopefully Riddley will bring their (or of some similar beings) brilliance back.

Quote from: warneford87 on Dec 11, 2011, 06:27:55 PM
I have it on very good authority from a friend that has worked on the movie that the space jockeys will NOT be elephantine in appearance, they will in fact look very humanoid indeed. The "trunk" is actually a breathing apparatus.

Nice. Would you be so courteous to ask your friend to share some pics, proving your words?  ;D

ThisBethesdaSea

@ Xenomorphine

Even Ridley Scott himself said the creature, as it appears today, is tired and not scary. Can it be made scary by way of a bit of a re-imagining of it? Yes. In terms of the that plot device of people running down corridors or hallways on space ships, that IS probably more worn out then the creature itself. It would have to be infused with something great to turn it on its head if a good director is going to use that formula once again.:)

bobcunk

Quote from: warneford87 on Dec 11, 2011, 06:27:55 PM

wasn't that the original intention of Giger? it also seems to have a clear helmet in the painting. also i remember hearing that the Space jockey wasn't complete when filmed.

Valaquen

Quote from: bobcunk on Dec 11, 2011, 07:26:32 PM
wasn't that the original intention of Giger? it also seems to have a clear helmet in the painting. also i remember hearing that the Space jockey wasn't complete when filmed.
Giger said it wasn't painted properly. Just the perfectionist in him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed