Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 88,247 times)

Quote from: Cvalda on Aug 04, 2012, 12:10:08 AM
Quote from: 180924609 on Aug 04, 2012, 12:06:17 AM
Christ only knows why it wasnt nominated for an oscar.
Same reason his jaw dropping work on Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within didn't get nominated--the film was released in the Summer and not well received. Also, the Academy has terrible taste in scores in general. When Goldenthal eventually won the Oscar for Frida--his safest, most musically unadventurous work--it was pretty telling.

Cool - I need to have a listen to those other works by Elliot Goldenthal. Thanks.

I somehow missed all of his later stuff and only recently realised that he had suffered a serious brain injury. Sad indeed. Glad he pulled himself through ok and is still creating music.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The music was beautiful. Possibly the best in the entire series. I just wasn't engaged by anything in the film (aside from the starting and ending credit sequences). Certainly not scared/horrified/unsettled; which has always been one of the main critiques of the third film - that it's meant to be a horror film and fails to do any scaring (admittedly, for most people; there are probably some who felt otherwise). Something apparently shared with 'Prometheus'.

Incidentally, if you run the 'Alien 3' and 'Interview With the Vampire' soundtracks back to back, it's like one huge score for a single film. Some differences, but... Very similar in style.

Lost Predator

Lost Predator

Definitely great news! Prometheus gave us some answers but more questions. So I hope the next movies answers A LOT of those questions.

SM

SM

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 03, 2012, 08:23:25 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 03, 2012, 03:07:13 AM
You tell me, has it?

Been pretty positive overall as far as I can tell.  Hardly "controversial" or "troubled".

Not from what I've seen, no. YMMV.

You've clearly not seen very much.  There's a big wide world outside these cloisters of rage.

AmazSpiderMan1

AmazSpiderMan1

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 04, 2012, 01:48:08 AM
The music was beautiful. Possibly the best in the entire series. I just wasn't engaged by anything in the film (aside from the starting and ending credit sequences). Certainly not scared/horrified/unsettled; which has always been one of the main critiques of the third film - that it's meant to be a horror film and fails to do any scaring (admittedly, for most people; there are probably some who felt otherwise). Something apparently shared with 'Prometheus'.

Incidentally, if you run the 'Alien 3' and 'Interview With the Vampire' soundtracks back to back, it's like one huge score for a single film. Some differences, but... Very similar in style.

Haha, I always noticed the sound effect used when Cruise bites Pitt on the ship in the beginning sounded exactly like whenever the Alien showed up behind somebody in "Alien 3". It's a very specific cue.

atlantis

atlantis

Excellent news!!!  ;D

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: Godroyah on Aug 02, 2012, 04:27:35 AM

As for Fox saying "we want to make sure we get it right", its practically an admittance to the fact that they didn't get it right with the first film.

no.   ::)

T Dog

T Dog

God it's not bloody hard.

Use more appropriate music and sound design that doesn't constantly try and force the audience into feeling "oh booooyyyy this is EPIC Duuuuude". Either make an atmospheric horror movie or make a hard science fiction movie. The two obviously don't seem to mesh and just cause each other to fizzle out.

Have more focused plotting. Having groups of characters all over the place that you have to keep cutting to and from just disintegrates the forward momentum of the plotting. If you are going to try and do this, watch Magnolia, notice how that movie uses music to weave a flowing tapestry that handles a several story lines simultaneously.

Scrub up the creature CGI.

Don't have so many plot holes, and don't make me pay 9 euro only to get 50% of a story. If you are going to give the audience a half assed story then make sure that you make up for it by having the movie dripping in mood and atmosphere.

Stop being so up your own arses. The audience is smarter than you think. Stop treating us like bufoons. Use your millions of dollars to make something highly artistic and forward reaching that cuts to the core of human feelings.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 04, 2012, 01:49:14 PMStop being so up your own arses. The audience is smarter than you think.

Are they really? There are people about who think that Prometheus is a masterpiece of science fiction. ;)

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Aug 04, 2012, 02:06:30 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 04, 2012, 01:49:14 PMStop being so up your own arses. The audience is smarter than you think.

Are they really? There are people about who think that Prometheus is a masterpiece of science fiction. ;)

ThisBethesdaSea

I would agree that Ridley Scott and Co. 'getting it right' as it were is something that was and is absolutely doable, and there's no excuse that the film was filled with so many nonsensical plot holes. Scott's pretty arrogant, and in some ways, the failings of Prometheus serve him right.

On the other hand, I'm of the opinion that what Prometheus got right....got it masterfully right!

BANE

BANE

f**k off with this plot hole nonsense. Jesus. You don't know what the term means.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2012, 03:32:33 AM
You've clearly not seen very much.  There's a big wide world outside these cloisters of rage.

I'm aware. That's precisely what's formed my view of the reaction.

SiL

SiL

The general reaction from critics seemed to be "A good ride, but it's got some problems. Not bad, just not as great as it thinks it is."

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: BANE on Aug 04, 2012, 07:22:38 PM
f**k off with this plot hole nonsense. Jesus. You don't know what the term means.

plot holes isnt the right term to use when talking about prometheus, some points are unexplained but there are no holes.

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 04, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
God it's not bloody hard.

Use more appropriate music and sound design that doesn't constantly try and force the audience into feeling "oh booooyyyy this is EPIC Duuuuude". Either make an atmospheric horror movie or make a hard science fiction movie. The two obviously don't seem to mesh and just cause each other to fizzle out.

Have more focused plotting. Having groups of characters all over the place that you have to keep cutting to and from just disintegrates the forward momentum of the plotting. If you are going to try and do this, watch Magnolia, notice how that movie uses music to weave a flowing tapestry that handles a several story lines simultaneously.

Scrub up the creature CGI.

Don't have so many plot holes, and don't make me pay 9 euro only to get 50% of a story. If you are going to give the audience a half assed story then make sure that you make up for it by having the movie dripping in mood and atmosphere.

Stop being so up your own arses. The audience is smarter than you think. Stop treating us like bufoons. Use your millions of dollars to make something highly artistic and forward reaching that cuts to the core of human feelings.

the creature CGI was very good, apart from a couple shots of the trilobite. actually, after reading through the whole of your post, it seems your not part of this 'smart' audience.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed