Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 279,975 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteYet Kane's son, within days tried to resemble a box, posed as Christ and moved gracefully with a certain purpose.
You'll note that none of that indicates "cunning".

Meanwhile, the ones in 'Aliens' cut the power, found creative ways into Ops, ambushed the shit out of the Marines in the Hatchery, and managed to disable the Marines' means of escape (the dropship).

And the ones in 'Alien Resurrection' set ambushes and traps on several occasions (ambushed the soldier with the liquid nitrogen, set a trap for Elgyn, set the underwater trap with the facehuggers, grabbed Ripley as she was investigating a grate).

At best, the most "cunning" the Alien in 'Alien' seems to be is when it's stalking Dallas in the air vents, and even then Dallas was at an enormous disadvantage of being in an unfamiliar environment with questionable intel (Lambert panicking, the motion tracker being unreliable).

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Cunning was the wrong word perhaps. "Alien" is.

Yes I feel the Xenomorphs need to act stranger.

happypred

Quote from: SM on Feb 14, 2014, 09:36:56 PMHow to misrepresent the Alien and humans in a couple of easy sentences...

LOL no

Master

Master

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 15, 2014, 09:42:06 AM
QuoteYet Kane's son, within days tried to resemble a box, posed as Christ and moved gracefully with a certain purpose.
You'll note that none of that indicates "cunning".

Meanwhile, the ones in 'Aliens' cut the power, found creative ways into Ops, ambushed the shit out of the Marines in the Hatchery, and managed to disable the Marines' means of escape (the dropship).

And the ones in 'Alien Resurrection' set ambushes and traps on several occasions (ambushed the soldier with the liquid nitrogen, set a trap for Elgyn, set the underwater trap with the facehuggers, grabbed Ripley as she was investigating a grate).

At best, the most "cunning" the Alien in 'Alien' seems to be is when it's stalking Dallas in the air vents, and even then Dallas was at an enormous disadvantage of being in an unfamiliar environment with questionable intel (Lambert panicking, the motion tracker being unreliable).

Don't forget one of them managed to get to the escape pod and was very close to escape Auriga and find his way to new environment.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

There are some peculiar you can take them either way things in Alien.

Power being out in areas they supposedly fixed, the cat in the locker, the Alien placing itself between Parker and Lambert, it ended up on the Narcissus.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 15, 2014, 06:05:23 PM
There are some peculiar you can take them either way things in Alien.

Power being out in areas they supposedly fixed, the cat in the locker, the Alien placing itself between Parker and Lambert, it ended up on the Narcissus.

I chalked the cat in the locker up to pretty much face-value - the cat got in the locker, as cats are wont to do.

The Alien being on the Narcissus I chalked up as an unfortunate coincidence - the Alien wanted to be in a secluded area (to die, if we go by the movie's original intent), unfortunately for Ripley it ended up choosing the shuttle.

The Alien placing itself between Parker and Lambert was pretty easy when the two of them were against the walls on opposite sides of the room. :P

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 15, 2014, 12:49:08 PM
Cunning was the wrong word perhaps. "Alien" is.

Yes I feel the Xenomorphs need to act stranger.
I won't disagree with this.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Cat getting into a closed locker with a latch is pretty convenient imo.  What it do open the locker and a strong breeze aboard the Nostromo shut the thing?  Does the Nostromo have a hurricane setting on its AC?

The Alien could have placed itself in any manner of ways jumping Parker and Lambert but placed itself in such a way that Parker couldn't use the flamethrower.

The Narcissus probably makes the most sense as there were no alarms blaring all over the place.  But only if you take the first movie as a kind of standalone film.  We know the Aliens can last longer than 24 hours because of the second film.

Its just pretty convenient.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteCat getting into a closed locker with a latch is pretty convenient imo.  What it do open the locker and a strong breeze aboard the Nostromo shut the thing?  Does the Nostromo have a hurricane setting on its AC?
I can personally attest that my cat has done dumber shit, and I'm pretty sure I don't have an 8-foot-tall rape monster stalking my house. :P

Or at least... I hope I don't.  :o

QuoteThe Alien could have placed itself in any manner of ways jumping Parker and Lambert but placed itself in such a way that Parker couldn't use the flamethrower.
Ehhhh the Alien being at point-blank with Lambert pretty much eliminated Parker's use of the flamethrower. I kinda see what you're getting at, but I definitely don't agree with your conclusion.

QuoteThe Narcissus probably makes the most sense as there were no alarms blaring all over the place.  But only if you take the first movie as a kind of standalone film.  We know the Aliens can last longer than 24 hours because of the second film.
Well sure, the "short lifespan" thing got retconned out by the later movies. But even if we drop that, the Alien was still being really passive in the shuttle until Ripley literally forced it out of hiding. There were numerous moments where Ripley had her pants down (literally!) and it could have mugged the shit out of her, and instead it just kinda hung out. I always chalked the Alien being in the shuttle to being a really bad coincidence.
I mean, I don't really think the Alien grasped that that particular part of the ship could detach from the rest of the Nostromo and would be the only way it could survive the self destruct. That sort of precludes that the Alien understands what a self-destruct is, what the shuttle is and what it can do, and that Ripley was headed there.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm not saying that the Alien intentionally did any of these things.  Just that its open to interpretation.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Fair enough :)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: happypred on Feb 15, 2014, 03:43:58 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 14, 2014, 09:36:56 PMHow to misrepresent the Alien and humans in a couple of easy sentences...

LOL no

LOL yes

See I can be redundant without making a point as well.

Ultramorph

Man, I do wish they'd give us something new about these comics. It's going to be a long wait until June.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Dark Horse is notorious for delayed news on their franchises.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I just hope the next news we get isn't that the creative team has changed, or that the studio has told them to go in a different direction. 16 issues is a long time for things to go wrong. Dark Horse has such a bad track record with these long series. I'm very much looking foreward to them, and I do have a lot of hope based on what we've seen so far, but there's the chance we get the next DotS or Colonial Marines, too. I'm just increasingly worried that the promising thins we've heard are just Dark Horse blowing rainbows up our butts like they did back in '09-'10 before TWW. At least the first Titan book was good.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Their launch titles of Aliens was all pretty good and Prometheus gives them more world(s) to explore.  I think they'll be fine because there is more than the limited sandbox they had to play in during the initial series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed