AvPGalaxy Exclusive - Early John Logan Alien: Covenant Script!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 15, 2017, 09:19:06 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Exclusive - Early John Logan Alien: Covenant Script! (Read 65,421 times)

Corporal Hicks

Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can exclusively share with you all one of John Logan’s earlier Alien: Covenant scripts! I believe this may actually be one of, if not the, first drafts that John Logan completed.

Dated November 20th 2015 (it was first reported in early November that Logan would be revising existing scripts), this script follows the same over all structure as what ended up on screen for the finished film but has several differences.

The most notable element is a sub-plot involving a quarantine field around the Engineer homeworld that Tennessee, Ricks and Upworth have to deal with, giving their characters more to do while the expedition team is on the surface of the planet.

Among many smaller differences, the character of Rosenthall is completely missing, there’s a small set piece of an “astronomical model” on the roof of the Citadel (which you can see a concept of below) and Shaw’s distress call is different.

“SHAW'S IMAGE walks through a WALL, and they RUSH TO FOLLOW–

SHAW is in anguish now. She falls to her knees and prays. The words of the Catholic prayer for the dead desperately whispered–“

This draft of the Alien: Covenant script features the “astronomical model.” This is concept art by Gerhard Mozsi portraying that set piece.

Check out the script in its entirety and be sure to let us know how you feel it compares to the finished film!

In addition to this first look at one of the Alien: Covenant scripts, you can also check out scripts for the rest of the Alien and Predator films, including 2 of Jon Spaihts scripts for Prometheus, in our Downloads section. Head on over and give them a read!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

SM

Evanus

Salt The Fries

RawMeat

the Shaw's prayer for the dead is interesting! (for the dead Engineers, presumably) A detail that would fit into the "gothic" mood. Ominous and goosebumpy. IMO they changed it because, sadly, some people were bitching about religious tones in Prometheus.

joylit

Not only Rosenthal is missing. Ankor too. Very little detail. No transitions from one scene to the next like in the neomorph attack. And why is Jack Paglen not credited?

SM

p 29
QuoteSergeant HALLET and Privates LEDWARD and ANKER complete the
landing party.

Not sure what you mean by 'no transitions'.

joylit

I mean, in the film, after the lander blows up the crew is wandering for a while on the wheat field before they are attacked by the neomorphs.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: joylit on Aug 15, 2017, 11:02:39 AM
And why is Jack Paglen not credited?

My guess is that it's not significantly different enough from Paglen's story.

whiterabbit

One of the things that I found interesting about the movie was actually cut out. The scene where mother is talking in a literal sense with Walter. I don't know how the average fan reads this but I always took the mu/th/ur program to be purely a coded operating system. Not a system that would bother to interact "humanly" much less point out a random fallacy. I suppose that's the entire "I was made like this cause your people are more comfortable interacting with your own kind" comment David made about having to wear the suit.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2017, 11:25:34 AM
Quote from: joylit on Aug 15, 2017, 11:02:39 AM
And why is Jack Paglen not credited?

My guess is that it's significantly different enough from Paglen's story.

Possibly a Guild arbitration thing.

Quote from: joylit on Aug 15, 2017, 11:23:19 AM
I mean, in the film, after the lander blows up the crew is wandering for a while on the wheat field before they are attacked by the neomorphs.

They're just standing on the shore with weapons ready while Daniels tries to contact Tennessee in the film.

joylit

Evanus

Funny, some of the dialogue is switched. David says: You have a light step, and Walter responds with: Me and the fog, on little cat feet. It's the other way around in the film. Interesting. Also, it seems the Xenomorph has the ability to regenerate, like the Hammerpedes.

SM

That was in the original Alien script where it gets an appendage ripped off in the airlock hatch, and Ash talks about the hugger 'self regenerating', though ultimately left out.

Evanus

Yeah, I wonder if they'll ever actually implement it in a film.

Also, the ending makes more sense here. Instead of asking about the cabin on the lake, Daniels asks David what song they played at Jacobs funeral, because she wants him to play the same song for her funeral in case she dies. David of course doesn't know the answer, and that's how Daniels finds out it's actually David. In the film, David could have just said yes, when Daniels asked him to help her build the cabin. But for some reason, he doesn't. I guess he was just messing with her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed