20th Century Fox & Tongal Announce Alien Short Film Contest!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 27, 2018, 05:55:56 PM

Author
20th Century Fox & Tongal Announce Alien Short Film Contest! (Read 77,346 times)

Corporal Hicks

Nah, it'll based on the old fake Prometheus script.  :P

Corporal Hicks

Winners are officially up!

The Old One

The Old One

Patrick Ward, heir to Vincent Ward.

HumanPredator

HumanPredator

where can we see their pitches?

Jacku

Aww I wanted to enter this.

yarko

yarko

Is any of the selected filmmakers member of this forum? I'd love to provide some creature effects for any of the projects  :P

I might have to stick to filming my own not-oficially aproved and totally low cost short someday...

Anyways, I see there are a lot of people in this forum who had ideas and motivation for this, maybe we should try to make something even without tongals and fox support.

D88M

We could be getting really good or really bad stuff, anyway i will be on the look out.

The Old One

The Old One

Many of the best directors and writers started with shorts, (A boy and his bike)- just so long as they aren't CW quality there'll likely be something worthwhile.

acrediblesource

I hope these all play out as proof of concepts for new Alien ala Giger inspired film noirs!

The Old One

The Old One

I hope it's a diverse body of work from which each short  is constructed of several influences.
It would be most disappointing if they were plainly just aping a previous Alien film, most likely the first.

Huggs

Any idea about what sort of runtime we're looking at with these short films?

Nukiemorph

Rules say five to nine minutes.

Perfect-Organism

A part of me kind of wanted to enter this, but I knew ahead of time that I would have had no time,  but here is what I had in mind to do...

A small family vessel encounters a juggernaut I space, and is boarded.  The family is in hypersleep.  The family is quickly awoken and overtaken by engineers and some studies begin.  A little unnoticed girl escapes and disappears into the small ship.  A little time goes by and she is playing as she is discovered by a little engineer girl.  They become playmates.  Then a big tall engineer adult discovers them both, and a look of kindness crosses his face.  He takes the little girl to her parents, wipes the family's memories and puts them back in hypersleep.  The engineers leave.  The little girl is shown sleeping with the engineer girl's toy.  The end.

I was loosely inspired by that outtake scene from Prometheus at the end where the engineer is in vickers' vessel and he looks at the girl playing the violin as if admiring her.

LtJesseRipley

if they do this again... i would love to be involved without becoming a U.S citizen.

TC

TC

Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 27, 2018, 09:45:46 AM
I wonder if these movies will be considered semi-canon or what.

I doubt it. That would require a whole extra level of story ratification that they don't mention in the competition process. Here is what they have to say about story requirements:

The goal of this Project is to produce a unique five to nine-minute Short within the universe of the original 1979 Alien film. The contents of your story and Pitch is up to you, but must adhere to the following criteria.

Your STORY must:

¤ Be themed with the science fiction and/or horror genre;
¤ Be tonally in line with the original film – suspenseful, visceral, claustrophobic and intense;
¤ Keep a narrative vantage point centered around the original story;
¤ Introduce original character(s) based in the archetype of the underdog – the everyday working men and women that grounded the film in realism and relatability;ý
¤ Include Alien in some form of its lifecycle (i.e. ovomorph to face hugger, chestburster +/or Xenomorph);
¤ Be for a short video ideally five to nine minutes in length; and
TARGET THE FANS OF THE ALIEN FRANCHISE AGES 17+.

Your PITCH must not:

¤ Use the name/likeness of any actors appearing in the Alien films;
¤ Use the characters from the Alien films; or
¤ Use actual Alien film footage, music or any third party controlled material.

Even though your Pitch must not use characters from the Alien films, your Pitch may reference these characters in dialogue (e.g., "Ash wouldn't have done that...").

Your PITCH AND FINAL VIDEO must be wholly original.

Someone asked for clarificatio n about whether they could base their story on other Alien film; they said no. Alien '79 only.

There was also confusion expressed over the seemingly contradictory requirements of "wholly original", yet based on a "narrative vantage point centered around the original story".

At a guess I'd say "wholly original" means "don't rip off your fav. scene in that Dark Horse comic",

And "narrative vantage point centered around the original story" means they wanted stories that used Alien 79's setting, concepts, events, designs - pretty much everything except the actual characters.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed