Social Media Posts Regarding "The Predator"..

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Jul 30, 2016, 04:50:01 PM

Author
Social Media Posts Regarding "The Predator".. (Read 431,701 times)

Tangakkai

filming a predator movie across the street... ugh, sounds like a great setting for a Predator to show up :-X Still not a fan of the suburbia setting but hey... I guess I just have to hope that it won't end up as hokey as it sounds.

Corporal Hicks

We've seen the Predator in urban locations before so it's not exactly a big deal, I don't think. It's not as if the whole film is taking place in the sleepy suburbs.

BigDaddyJohn

Predators are not obligated by contract to appear only in jungles, forests etc

Corporal Hicks

They're just reporting on a speculation video from Hybrid Network.

Huntsman

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 02, 2017, 01:11:07 PM
Predators are not obligated by contract to appear only in jungles, forests etc
Exactly. If their target lives in the suburbs that's where they have to go.

Tangakkai

Great if all you guys are excited for this. I prefer a more mystic approach to the Predator. That's just what I prefer.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Tangakkai on Aug 05, 2017, 09:51:08 PM
Great if all you guys are excited for this. I prefer a more mystic approach to the Predator. That's just what I prefer.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by a mystic approach?

Huntsman

Huntsman

I'm a fan of doing new things. I liked Predators but it does ride the original's coat tails quite a bit. If I want a jungle based survival film I'm always going to pick the original.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Huntsman on Aug 06, 2017, 02:26:45 AM
I'm a fan of doing new things. I liked Predators but it does ride the original's coat tails quite a bit. If I want a jungle based survival film I'm always going to pick the original.

I also like seeing Predator try new things too. That's why I really liked the Rage War novel trilogy because it took the Aliens and Predators in a totally new direction where it was a war rather than a hunt. And the human side wasn't your usual claustrophobic setting, but a vast world building story focusing on the entirety of human civilisation.

So Shane Black's film has me excited as it's exploring more about the Predators and trying something new rather than your usual hunt story.

Hollywood

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 05, 2017, 10:35:57 PM
Quote from: Tangakkai on Aug 05, 2017, 09:51:08 PM

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by a mystic approach?

I'm curious about this too, could you please explain what you mean, Tangakkai?

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Well since some of you asked, I think you rob the Predator of a lot of his appeal when you bring him to an ordinary location like the suburbs and have him interacting with humans on a relatable level. I'm not saying at all that you have to keep the Pred in the jungle. Just look at Predator 2. I love that movie and the setting of it. Especially the scene with King Willie brought an almost spiritual aspect of the Predator into the fold. That is what I mean with mysticism. You add to the lore without actually having to do exposition about the predator himself and you show his power by him moving and navigating through areas which we humans couldn't. He shows up, he kills. He disappears into the vastness again. And he does so under topographical and weather conditions, which we can't even bare for 1 minute.

I just don't see it working like that in a small town, like I saw in AVP:R. There are streets. There are houses. It's something I see in my every day life. When you bring me a Pred to to this location, he automatically loses a sense of his menace. Bring me outlandish locations which I don't see every day and which I don't understand. When a Predator can navigate through that kind of a location, it makes him all the more powerful. Just think of huge cave constructs or archeological sites, himalayan mountains, anything... but not my freaking neighbourhood where the Postman gets around faster than a Pred.

On top of that, I don't like Predators being stuck into an AMV Vehicle and holding gattling guns. You automatically make the Preds behave in a human matter. I have no desire to see that. I'd rather prefer making him as "Alien" as possible. You know the Predator has a code of honor, yet you don't really know why. You know he collects trophies but again, you don't really no much about it rather than it's for his pleasure. You can build on it, you can elaborate on it as human beings. But you will never get the answer.

When I see Preds teaming up with humans it just makes them less majestic. Case in point:

Spoiler
[close]

The Alien Predator

Those are interesting points, Tangakkai.

I think that the alien nature of the Predator can still be explored even if they are forced to interact with humans. Like in the Rage War novels, their alien minds make them unreadable to humans. We never understand them even in the far future no matter how many times we try to study or observe them, we still know so little and they're incredibly mysterious despite being public knowledge.

I agree that their alien nature should be respected in the sense that they should behave differently from us. I like how one of the characters in the books wonders if they even have a concept of regret after being relentlessly tortured one minute only to be released and allied with the next with no a hint of an apology or guilt.

I don't see how setting it in a suburb is too much of an issue because I think it can be done right. Cities are a familiar setting too and you enjoyed Predator 2 because it showed him being just as deadly as in a jungle. If the film shows them being deadly even in familiar settings, that can add to the terror of them. I also like to see them in exotic locations too, seeing one in the Himalayas as you mentioned would be really cool (no pun intended.)

ThePredatorUK

Quote from: Tangakkai on Aug 08, 2017, 05:13:08 PM
Well since some of you asked, I think you rob the Predator of a lot of his appeal when you bring him to an ordinary location like the suburbs and have him interacting with humans on a relatable level. I'm not saying at all that you have to keep the Pred in the jungle. Just look at Predator 2. I love that movie and the setting of it. Especially the scene with King Willie brought an almost spiritual aspect of the Predator into the fold. That is what I mean with mysticism. You add to the lore without actually having to do exposition about the predator himself and you show his power by him moving and navigating through areas which we humans couldn't. He shows up, he kills. He disappears into the vastness again. And he does so under topographical and weather conditions, which we can't even bare for 1 minute.

I just don't see it working like that in a small town, like I saw in AVP:R. There are streets. There are houses. It's something I see in my every day life. When you bring me a Pred to to this location, he automatically loses a sense of his menace. Bring me outlandish locations which I don't see every day and which I don't understand. When a Predator can navigate through that kind of a location, it makes him all the more powerful. Just think of huge cave constructs or archeological sites, himalayan mountains, anything... but not my freaking neighbourhood where the Postman gets around faster than a Pred.

On top of that, I don't like Predators being stuck into an AMV Vehicle and holding gattling guns. You automatically make the Preds behave in a human matter. I have no desire to see that. I'd rather prefer making him as "Alien" as possible. You know the Predator has a code of honor, yet you don't really know why. You know he collects trophies but again, you don't really no much about it rather than it's for his pleasure. You can build on it, you can elaborate on it as human beings. But you will never get the answer.

When I see Preds teaming up with humans it just makes them less majestic. Case in point:

Spoiler
[close]
Spot on 💯

Hollywood

Quote from: Tangakkai on Aug 08, 2017, 05:13:08 PM
I'm not saying at all that you have to keep the Pred in the jungle. Just look at Predator 2. I love that movie and the setting of it.
That's what I thought you were implying since you were upset at the thought of filming going on across the street somewhere and then echoing the word "suburbia".

QuoteEspecially the scene with King Willie brought an almost spiritual aspect of the Predator into the fold. That is what I mean with mysticism. You add to the lore without actually having to do exposition about the predator himself
We know the Predator isn't anything spiritual so all of Willie's talk about the Predator being on "the other side" and "in the spirit world" as he throws chicken bones on a barrel as if it tells him anything is a load of crap, not lore. Predators are extraterrestrials. Willie did not know what was going on and added nothing to the actual lore.

Quote...and you show his power by him moving and navigating through areas which we humans couldn't.
You don't think we will see the predators do physical feats no human can in this film? They hired very athletic guys and showed off free running skills online. Surely they won't be doing that if they're just going to be walking and driving around.

QuoteHe shows up, he kills. He disappears into the vastness again. And he does so under topographical and weather conditions, which we can't even bare for 1 minute.
That's not mysticism if you know what the Predator is, which we do. That's just stealth.

QuoteI just don't see it working like that in a small town, like I saw in AVP:R. There are streets. There are houses. It's something I see in my every day life. When you bring me a Pred to to this location, he automatically loses a sense of his menace.
Streets and homes are also featured in Predator 2 though. Of all the issues with AVP:R, the location was far down the list and didn't make or break that film.
QuoteBring me outlandish locations which I don't see every day and which I don't understand.
Though we dont see jungles every day, they are understandable. Just dense forest and vegetation. Was this a problem in Predator 2 though or just this film?
QuoteJust think of huge cave constructs or archeological sites, himalayan mountains, anything...
Caves like from The Descent? The movie that was 90% darkness? Now THAT'S an issue AVPR had.

Quotebut not my freaking neighbourhood where the Postman gets around faster than a Pred.
Which set photos have you been looking at suggesting a sleepy suburb complete with Olympic sprinting postmen?

QuoteOn top of that, I don't like Predators being stuck into an AMV Vehicle and holding gattling guns. You automatically make the Preds behave in a human matter.
The Predator in the original behaved in a human matter as well. Tending to its wounds with a med kit, taking trophies, hunting, throwing punches, laughing, using tools, speaking English...are there more?

QuoteI have no desire to see that. I'd rather prefer making him as "Alien" as possible.
So you're skipping this movie?

QuoteYou know the Predator has a code of honor, yet you don't really know why.
Honor is a very human concept. Is that them automatically behaving in a human matter, too? And it is pretty clear why the predators we have seen so far choose who to kill. Sport. It is repeatedly emphasized in all movies. I also don't think each predator thinks and acts the same way like they're a bunch of single-minded clones, so giving other ones different motivation is an area worth exploring.

QuoteYou know he collects trophies but again, you don't really no much about it rather than it's for his pleasure. You can build on it, you can elaborate on it as human beings. But you will never get the answer.
It's not an elaborate mystery nor is it something the imagination runs wild yearning to understand. He's a hunter. He, like human hunters, takes trophies of his kills.

QuoteWhen I see Preds teaming up with humans it just makes them less majestic. Case in point:

Spoiler
[close]

I think simply seeing a predator in full view makes them less majestic. That happened in the first movie and every movie since, though. Did you think it was majestic when City Hunter ran out of a bathroom and shared the screen with an old lady holding a broom with curlers in her hair?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed