[Exclusive] Introducing The FX Alien Series Writers Room & Episode Titles

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 25, 2022, 01:48:48 PM

Author
[Exclusive] Introducing The FX Alien Series Writers Room & Episode Titles (Read 18,659 times)

SiL

Prometheus took "Alien" off the title for a reason.

BlueMarsalis79

If the Alien's not in this you may have a point.

Corporal Hicks

TC

Quote from: Kane's other son on Apr 27, 2022, 09:25:42 AM...
I would be very disappointed if this was Colonial Marines: The Series.

We have the Paramount + Halo series instead. And so far... it's pretty solid.

TC

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

If by pretty solid you mean more Alex Kurtzman tier science fiction crap with "original character do not steal" type self inserts. I'd rather Alien die as a license than become that.

TC

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 02, 2022, 11:58:05 AMIf by pretty solid you mean more Alex Kurtzman tier science fiction crap with "original character do not steal" type self inserts. I'd rather Alien die as a license than become that.

I've never been a big fan of Kurtzman (or Robert Orci) and their Star Trek stuff. And his previous association with JJ Abrams only discredits him further in my eyes. Xena was good, but that was very different material from a long time ago and I'm assuming he was just a junior writer in those days. So no, I don't think Halo resembles Kurtzman's work.

But if you wanted a specifically Colonial Marines show, then something Halo-like would have fitted the bill.

A specifically Alien series, OTOH, requires something darker in tone.

TC

BlueMarsalis79

That Paramount produced Halo certainly does to me.

[cancerblack]

Highland

I'll never understand the push back on anything Colonial Marines and Aliens. We've seen it once on film and it was arguably the most entertaining and interesting movie out the entire series.

How many times do you have to churn out something that's not like that and still think, nah that's not what we want, lets go Robots and cloning this time!  :laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

Well, it's probably the fact Marines populated almost every piece of Aliens EU. Most of the games involve you being a Marine, running around, shooting them damn Aliens. Even comics for a loooong time were published under the "Aliens" label which gotta be saying something

I see your point though. I'm myself not the biggest fan of people trying to push Alien to the status of an arthouse masterpiece while at the same time dismmssing Aliens as "just another generic sci fi action 80s movie" and "CaMeRoN tUrNeD eM iNtO bUgS aRrRgH !"

Highland

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 02, 2022, 11:12:51 PMWell, it's probably the fact Marines populated almost every piece of Aliens EU. Most of the games involve you being a Marine, running around, shooting them damn Aliens. Even comics for a loooong time were published under the "Aliens" label which gotta be saying something

I see your point though. I'm myself not the biggest fan of people trying to push Alien to the status of an arthouse masterpiece while at the same time dismmssing Aliens as "just another generic sci fi action 80s movie" and "CaMeRoN tUrNeD eM iNtO bUgS aRrRgH !"

The thing is you don't have to make it mindless action flick. Imagine something like Annihilation, but it's Alien. Keeping it off Earth is also a no brainier.

SiL

Aliens already showed it doesn't need to be mindless, and if you go by runtime, there's surprisingly little action in it.

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Jun 03, 2022, 12:40:58 AMAliens already showed it doesn't need to be mindless, and if you go by runtime, there's surprisingly little action in it.

I actually typed that in my initial post then kept it shorter  There's at best 2-3 action sequences that you would call set pieces. Alien seems like most things, to work best when it's not trying to be too clever.

SiL

SiL

Yeah the movies are dripping in themes but their stories are mostly unpretentious. Prometheus and Covenant are obviously exceptions and while their attempts to be profound aren't their worst aspect it doesn't help.

happypred

Quote from: SiL on Jun 03, 2022, 12:40:58 AMAliens already showed it doesn't need to be mindless, and if you go by runtime, there's surprisingly little action in it.

Yes, what Aliens did so well was make its action impactful and serve the story

There was no empty specatacle in that movie

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed