DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017)

Started by Ultramorph, Oct 05, 2016, 07:51:53 PM

Author
DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017) (Read 81,883 times)

Corporal Hicks

I read the final issue this morning. In short, I really enjoyed the series. Great artwork by Stoakes. Some heavily Alien and Isolation vibes (with an Alien 3 reference thrown in there!). I didn't think the story broke any new ground but I loved the bleakness of it. Definitely one of my favorite series.

Russ840

Yeah. The story is not anything original but the content is so well executed it makes the series, for me, the best thing, along with Isolation, released as part of the Alien universe in years.

Ultramorph

Just read issue #4. It was really good, but I'll need to read the whole thing together because I had forgotten a but of what was going on. Stokoe really killed it on the art, especially how run-down the station looked. The bleak ending was refreshing, and I would love a prequel about the ship the aliens arrived on. More stories in that general time period would be cool, too. I think this is set the year WY loses it's FTL contracts, so the general decay of everything was cool.

Prez

Quote from: Kurai on Dec 16, 2017, 03:33:35 PM
Quote from: Prez on Dec 16, 2017, 12:39:39 PM
Great finale to a great series.

And sadly with the big news of the Disney buyout I think this may very well be one of the very last every Dark Horse published Alien comics.

Until the license is up for renewal there won't be any problems with Dark Horse going about business as usual with Aliens, plus we have word of Dust to Dust on the way. So keep your hopes up.  :)

Brilliant news! As I used to love what DH did with the Star Wars EU and then Marvel took over and it became absolute gash.

Russ840

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 16, 2017, 11:54:16 PM
Just read issue #4. It was really good, but I'll need to read the whole thing together because I had forgotten a but of what was going on. Stokoe really killed it on the art, especially how run-down the station looked. The bleak ending was refreshing, and I would love a prequel about the ship the aliens arrived on. More stories in that general time period would be cool, too. I think this is set the year WY loses it's FTL contracts, so the general decay of everything was cool.

It reads really well together.

Was is it, 100 years after Aliens/Alien 3 ? Roughly.

A prequel would be good. The crew came to the conclusion that the ship the Aliens came on was a salvage ship so that would be a cool, working class, crew to follow the exploits of and see how they came across the creature.

Ultramorph

Yeah, 2293, I think.

Russ840

Close. 2295. Just check th first issue. So a little over 100 years. A good time period to explore. Have we had many Alien stories set there ? 

Another glowing review I found.

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/12/13/aliens-dead-orbit-4-review/

One thing I'm wondering now. I don't remember Dark Horse resoliciting the TPB of this series. It was originally solicited for Nov. Obviously the delays prevent that. Dark Horse have it listed as March 21st now, I think,  definitely March. Usually delays mean the book is resolicited. Did I miss that ?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Russ840 on Dec 17, 2017, 02:48:42 AM
Close. 2295. Just check th first issue. So a little over 100 years. A good time period to explore. Have we had many Alien stories set there ? 
For a moment I thought the AvP SNES game was set in that time period, but I checked and it takes place in 2493. If I remember right, that's still the "latest" point we've seen in the timeline to date.

Ultramorph

Not quite, Rage War is set in 2692 or something like that.

Russ840

I will give another shot to rage wars. Ill stick with it. That is 500 years on from Aliens/Alien3.

Is there any mention of te United Systems Military in that series.

Ultramorph

No mention of the USM, but Sea of Sorrows does explain what happened to them. Basically they fell apart after the Auriga trashed Earth and that allowed WY to make a comeback.

Russ840

Ah yes. I remember that. That was no where near as far forward as rage wars was it ?

Ultramorph

SoS was 2490, so after Res but about 200 years before Rage War.

SM

Just read issue 4, after not looking at issue 3 since it came out. Had to read it a couple of times to follow the jumping around narrative. As an issue on its own it's nothing spectacular, but a good climax to a very solid series.

Despite the 'typo' in the last page. ;D

Corporal Hicks

You mean the countdown?  According to the countdown, all the present-time events of the first issue take about 7 seconds according to the second issue.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed