Top 3/bottom 3 films

Started by Rankles75, Jul 27, 2021, 09:10:37 PM

Author
Top 3/bottom 3 films (Read 1,022 times)

Rankles75

Rankles75

Top 3

1. Se7en - Doubt this one will ever be supplanted tbh. Intense, brilliantly acted and sticks in your head long after the credits finish rolling. Ironic that the same guy directed both my favourite and one of my least favourite films...

2. Lion King - Bit of a departure from my #1! Always been a sucker for just about anything animated, and this is imo head and shoulders above anything else Disney or Pixar have ever done. Probably my second most watched film behind Star Wars Episode IV.

3. Aliens - James Cameron took on a hugely daunting task in following from Ridley Scott's amazing original, and somehow managed to improve on it in just about every way. The xenos don't make an appearance for over an hour, but from the moment they do, the film barely stops to take a breath the rest of the way. Great action scenes and infinitely quotable.

Honourable mentions-Terminator 2, Shaun of The Dead, Inception

Bottom 3

1. The Last Airbender - To this day, it remains a mystery how M. Night Shyamalan took arguably the best animated series of all time and turned it into such a catastrophic donkey turd. Should have been a hugely popular trilogy, instead we got one film that followed the basic story of S1 but stripped it of everything that made it great. They didn't even get the character's names right ffs...

2. Alien 3 - Single handedly ruined my favourite film series, so fully deserves this place on the list. Glaring plot inconsistencies, some laughable "performances" and a largely shonky looking Alien. Alien Resurrection and the AVP films were undeniably awful, but the rot set in here. The first, but certainly not last time (hello Terminator, Indiana Jones, Die Hard) I've found myself refusing to acknowledge a film in a series as part of my headcanon. Good music though.

3. Jack & Jill - I know it's low hanging fruit picking an Adam Sandler movie, but this is shockingly bad even by his usual standards. Would be higher on the list if I hadn't gone in with zero expectations. If there is a Hell, then making people watch this on repeat would be one of the harsher punishments.

Honourable mentions-Pacific Rim, Snake Eyes, Despicable Me

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Picking a top 3 is hard because there are so many movies I would want to include on that list, and picking a bottom 3 is hard because I find it pretty senseless to exert that much energy on things I dislike that strongly.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jul 27, 2021, 09:10:37 PM2. Alien 3 - Single handedly ruined my favourite film series, so fully deserves this place on the list. Glaring plot inconsistencies, some laughable "performances" and a largely shonky looking Alien. Alien Resurrection and the AVP films were undeniably awful, but the rot set in here. The first, but certainly not last time (hello Terminator, Indiana Jones, Die Hard) I've found myself refusing to acknowledge a film in a series as part of my headcanon. Good music though.

That'll go over well with this group. :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

Top:

1. The Thing (1982)

2. Hannibal (2001)

3. Patton (1970)

Bottom:

1. The Predator

2. Roman Polanski's Pirates

3. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 27, 2021, 10:32:13 PM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Jul 27, 2021, 09:10:37 PM2. Alien 3 - Single handedly ruined my favourite film series, so fully deserves this place on the list. Glaring plot inconsistencies, some laughable "performances" and a largely shonky looking Alien. Alien Resurrection and the AVP films were undeniably awful, but the rot set in here. The first, but certainly not last time (hello Terminator, Indiana Jones, Die Hard) I've found myself refusing to acknowledge a film in a series as part of my headcanon. Good music though.

That'll go over well with this group. :laugh:

It is what it is, It's all just opinions anyway. :) I know there will be others who have it in their top 3, same as there's probably people out there who are big Jack & Jill fans. Well, that might be going a bit too far... :D

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 27, 2021, 10:59:25 PM
Top:

1. The Thing (1982)

2. Hannibal (2001)

3. Patton (1970)

Bottom:

1. The Predator

2. Roman Polanski's Pirates

3. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

The Thing would definitely be in my top 10. Absolute masterpiece.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Top 3 -

Rashomon (1950)

Seven Samurai (1954)

Godzilla (1954)

Honorable mention - The Devil's Backbone (2001)

nanison

nanison

Top 3

1) Once upon a time in the West
2) Jaws
3) Zulu

All pretty much interchangeable.

Bottom 3

Good question, I tend not to think about bad films often. Stuff that comes to mind Robocop 3, Predators, The Predator, alien vs predator requiem, terminator genysis and a whole bunch of cheap syfy films and other Z movies

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: nanison on Aug 01, 2021, 07:04:59 PM
Top 3

2) Jaws
3) Zulu

Bottom 3

Good question, I tend not to think about bad films often. Stuff that comes to mind Robocop 3, Predators, The Predator, alien vs predator requiem, terminator genysis and a whole bunch of cheap syfy films and other Z movies

Jaws is a great shout, though I do sometimes wish they could do a cut with better creature effects as "Bruce" hasn't aged well... :)

mez86

mez86

top 3
Back to the future
Gladiator
terminator 2

bottom 3
Alien resurrection
Dragonball evolution
dirty dancing

nanison

nanison

Quote from: Rankles75 on Aug 01, 2021, 07:32:42 PM
Quote from: nanison on Aug 01, 2021, 07:04:59 PM
Top 3

2) Jaws
3) Zulu

Bottom 3

Jaws is a great shout, though I do sometimes wish they could do a cut with better creature effects as "Bruce" hasn't aged well... :)

How dare you say that! Bruce is a work of art :-P

SiL

SiL

Is it not ageing well if it always looked bad? There has never been a time in history where anyone thought "Yes, that looks like an actual shark." :laugh:

nanison

nanison

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2021, 10:14:29 PM
Is it not ageing well if it always looked bad? There has never been a time in history where anyone thought "Yes, that looks like an actual shark." :laugh:

So true, much of the lasting appeal I have for the film comes from my childhood. That shark was scary! But yes nobody ever thought this looked real but it works in the hands of a great crew.
From the first kill in the opening till the end this is full of iconic moments for me. One of my fave scenes is during the first beach attack when Brody keeps seeing things. This guy comes up to talk about a problem he has and Brody isn't listening, he keeps looking at the water. What 's so brilliant is we as the viewers pay attention to the water too, we have no clue what the guy is complaining about just like chief Brody. It is great scene building. Such an iconic film from start to finish!

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Fortunately enough, it's not a film about an actual shark, but more about what it represent symbolically.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Kradan

Kradan

Watch re:View of Freddy Got Fingered. It may change your opinion

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed