Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 114,469 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 02:08:09 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 01, 2018, 01:44:52 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 01:03:20 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 01, 2018, 12:27:22 AM
The Old One, the question is aimed at you.  I respect your passion for established continuity, but if you were a producer would you honestly put your money on continuing after A3 or AR?

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 12:26:32 AM
Nope.

The two best bets now are David Part 3 or Blomkamp.  And the former is way more likely.

I definitely think David's story merits a conclusion next.  But after that?  If the actors are still around?  Go with Blomkamp's film

Depends on the success of David 3.

True, but even if Scott gets to do 2 more films, eventually they will end up arriving at the "back door of Alien" as he said.  Unless he goes off on a completely different tangent, which he is often wont to do.  Be that as it may, we are still likely looking at facing a situation where all the prequel gaps are finished, and we now get to continue the story with all the core Alien films behind us.  So we will yet again be faced with the same conundrum.  To continue after Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, or after Aliens.  Though it would be possible that some of the actors just may be too frail to play the roles by then.  I guess the question is, will Ridley convince the powers to give him the money to do all his planned remaining films, or does he get one last shot wrap up everything he had hoped in one film.  I'm betting on the latter.  After that?  Well, as you say SM, if his film is stellar, than who knows what will happen, but my money would be on Blomkamp.

I think Ridley could wrap up what he wants to wrap up in a Covenant sequel - but if that is really popular, they'll look for ways to spin off it, rather than looking at ways to continue after other films.

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 01, 2018, 01:43:27 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 01:38:42 AM
Get someone new.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I'm trying to make.

Villeneuve and someone that can really feel Giger and incorporate it well.

The point I'm trying to make is - get someone new.  Not someone aping Giger.

If what many of us suspect is the plot for David 3, whereby the SJ is David and the colonists of the Covenant are the eggs in Alien, the response may not be so good.  It'll probably do ok just like the other films.

In truth it should be possible to tie in David 3 to a post-Aliens sequel.  Androids can live forever in theory.  Wouldn't it be funny if Ripley woke up to face David?

Huggs

Huggs

It's only been like 10 years and he's forgetting things, chopping off his own body parts and going quite insane. By the time he even caught up to the Ripley timeline, he'd probably have the intellect of a gumball machine.

Playing Devils Advocate: Unless the process for maintenance was automated, or there were qualified personnel onboard covenant that he could force or manipulate into doing it. Somebody had to take care of Walter, afterall. Notice how I cleverly dodged saying "service" there. Unless he could find a way of being able to put himself in cryo. But then there's that ugly road of turning himself human, no doubt by harvesting some of Shaw's organs and trying to give himself a real heart or something.

But all that aside, he's likely losing his mind at a steady rate. Hell, even Ash went nuts in record time, and he should've been manufactured long after David. Ripley's story has been told, there was no David in it. By the time he reaches Ripley 8, I'd half expect him to be a smoking pile of wires.

The Old One

The Old One

It would be trite for David to meet Ripley.

David should be eliminated by his own hubris in the final prequel.

Returning the Space Jockey to a mysterious corpse and  establishing David as mistaken about his authorship.
I hope.

SM

QuoteWouldn't it be funny if Ripley woke up to face David?

No.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 04:31:19 AM

No.

No indeed. She wouldn't survive it anyway. He's got the strength of 10 androids...plus 2.

The Old One

The Old One

Don't let the bedbugs bite.™

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 01, 2018, 04:38:16 AM
Don't let the bedbugs bite.™

If only he would have instinctively tried the shush thing with his stump, and accidentally achieved a mild farting noise.

Frosty Venom

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 01, 2018, 04:15:20 AM
It would be trite for David to meet Ripley.

David should be eliminated by his own hubris in the final prequel.

Returning the Space Jockey to a mysterious corpse and  establishing David as mistaken about his authorship.
I hope.

I have to agree with this. I final clash between David and his supposed 'creations' with the human survivors and Engineers. David bests the Engineers and boasts about his creations before impregnating the last surviving leader/elder with a Xenomorph specimen. Before the chestburster emerges the last Engineer enlightens David with the truth about the Xenomorphs and perhaps the Space Jockey/Derelict. David realises that he is a false god and then the Ultramorph erupts from the Engineers chest. It eventually kills David and becomes an unstoppable threat for the remaining humans.

Something like that would be really cool in my opinion and would be treating both the prequel films and the original films that came before it respectfully.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: N-Shifter on Oct 31, 2018, 06:15:34 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: N-Shifter on Oct 30, 2018, 09:44:55 PM
Why everyone is so against giving Blomkamp a chance is really strange to me

The movies he's already made is a good place to start.  ;D

He's made one movie that was a mess imo and that was largely down to the horrific casting of Die Antwoord as the main characters, just about everything else in that movie would have been vastly superior with actual actors replacing those two.

I like District 9 and Elysium.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 31, 2018, 09:28:32 PM
Elysium was absolutely gorgeous to look at, but beyond that (and perhaps Sharlto Copley's villain) it was entirely bland and forgettable.

Elysium is the only one I really didn't enjoy. It's not so much I didn't enjoy it, it's like HuDa says, it was forgettable. District 9 was great. I wish they'd have not done half/half with the style of D9 but otherwise I love it.

Now Chappie...I know I'm in the minority here but I love Die Antwoord. Just fricking love them. If anything, it was Hugh Jackman I really didn't like in Chappie. Otherwise I love that film too.

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 04:31:19 AM

No.

Indeed. Please God, never allow that kind of crap to happen.

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 02:08:09 AM
The point I'm trying to make is - get someone new.  Not someone aping Giger.

His style is just forever linked to the series, though. And his absence - especially when making films focused around entire environments he designed - is noticed. I know what you're saying but the Giger-esque style is so attached to Alien.

From what we've heard, it's just f**king about in regards to money between Fox and Giger's Estate that have been getting in the way.

SiL

If I wanted a non-Giger Alien I'd watch something that's not an Alien movie, dammit.

SM

His style is linked to the Alien and the Derelict.  Those are inescapable.

Beyond that however, I don't want a forgery of Giger.  Giger showed something we'd never seen; get someone with their own style show us something else we've never seen.

SiL

Outside of a Giger-inspired planet I don't see people asking for much Giger influence beyond those things, though. I thought the trilobite was a generally well-received design.

SM

I don't want a Giger inspired planet.  If it's not Giger designed - and it can't be obviously - then give someone else a crack.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 01, 2018, 08:30:14 AMNow Chappie...I know I'm in the minority here but I love Die Antwoord. Just fricking love them. If anything, it was Hugh Jackman I really didn't like in Chappie. Otherwise I love that film too.

Chappie was probably my least favourite of the three. There was absolutely some superb stuff in it (Copley again), but that was balanced out by how much of it just didn't work. Plus far too much of it was simply an inferior retread of things Blomkamp did far better in his previous movies, especially D9 (the entire Moose fight was just a dull recycle of the prawn mech sequence, but far less impressive and with none of the emotional investment).

As for Die Antwoord, I didn't mind them in and of themselves, I just thought their characters were irredeemable pricks. Now, it's definitely possible to make a sympathetic character out of one that's an arsehole on paper, but they just didn't have the acting chops to do that, and I had zero investment in them as a result (which, given that they're essentially the human leads, pretty much killed the movie for me). Jackman's character was equally dodgy on paper, but he's at least skilled enough that he could turn it into a hammy figure of fun and make it an entertaining watch.

To get back on topic, I think Blomkamp's abundant visual style would make for a stellar Alien movie. I just really hope someone who's better at scripts is on writing duties.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 01, 2018, 09:00:16 AMI thought the trilobite was a generally well-received design.

Was it?

i thought it was pretty generic, like most of the creatures in the film.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 09:09:02 AM
I don't want a Giger inspired planet.
I'm with you on that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed