Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 97,838 times)

[cancerblack]

Yes, she's not especially bothered.

Kimarhi

Spoiler
Blue
[close]
becomes more interesting in the sequel, which is by far a better book imo.

I think my feelings on everything Alien prequel inspired are well known, including the black goo concept, but I am actually looking forward to White's future content in the universe despite so many tie ins to prequel concepts and hope fox doesn't nuke the continuity whenever they start playing with Alien movies.

I did feel the first book was way overrated.  It isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.  My main gripe was also that there are two primary characters, and both of them are pretty uninteresting. 

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 18, 2021, 09:10:00 PM
My main gripe was also that there are two primary characters, and both of them are pretty uninteresting. 

Bingo. Dorian starts as a believable manipulative monster but is twirling his moustache like a low rent Megatron after a few chapters. Blue is a unique combination of traits and situations, elements of which can be challenging, but is ultimately dull as dishwater to read imo.

Corporal Hicks

I'm going to be chatting to Alex next week. If you have any questions you'd like to submit, you know the drill!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Was the basic story his idea or did it come from the suits?

Was it his intention from the start to go full Aliens with this, after the more Alien style of his first book?

Where did the eggs come from? The Blackstar, a Queen we never see or eggmorphing?

And lastly - can you write every Alien book from now on pls.

(The last one is a joke. Sort of.)

Kimarhi

It seems White is writing his Alien stories with a series in mind.  Has there been any hesitation by Disney/Marvel etc to continue the story as they settle into making the new tv series and the direction it is going to go in, or is this like the old EU where there wasn't much colloboration with what was going on with the print media vs the films?

Miguel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 24, 2021, 06:32:45 AM
I'm going to be chatting to Alex next week. If you have any questions you'd like to submit, you know the drill!

I know he said no in another interview, but ask him again if Titan Books is planning for him to write any more novels. :P

BlueMarsalis79

He's mentioned in the past that The Cold Forge existed in conversation with Alien, Into Charybdis with Aliens, so of course then the following potential story will be in conversation with Alien³ I am curious what that means.

Especially because I felt that The Cold Forge's as close as it gets to Alien³ with a cast of mostly unlikable people rooted around one decent person to hold onto trapped in a prison.

I felt Into Charybdis did Alien in it's first half with following the tightly knit crew, that then actually turns into Aliens halfway through, and I actually felt the end of it set up:
Spoiler
Alien Resurrection with Father or even a direct tackling of the unexplored Auton Rebellion?
[close]

I personally hope we will see
Spoiler
Blue's redemption
[close]
arc continue?

Even if I worry it might undo the poetic ending of the last entry.

And we got a hint of it near the ending of the last entry but can you please tackle The Pathogen full on in the following one? You appear to really "get it"
Spoiler
By that I mean follow the facts told to us in the films instead of just doing whatever.
[close]
and the differences between it and Plagiarus Preapotens might be interesting to explore more. Perhaps go back to LV-223 or "Planet 4" if you get the go ahead.

I think your books ought to be treated with the utmost respect and I hope the higher ups also see the value in them, in that respect do you worry at all at the possibility of people working on the films or other parts of Alien will contradict your stuff, or do you ultimately think of them as existing just unto themselves?

Please can you get on the phone with Noah Hawley and be on his writing team?

And finally can we get a hardback release of The Cold Forge with an illustrated cover?

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo Magic

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 25, 2021, 02:04:32 PM
Also, I finally finished my review.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/alien-into-charybdis/

Great review Hicks! Here's to hoping that Titan gives Alex another book to round out a trilogy!

BlueMarsalis79

Good review!

Spoiler
To me Elden and "the Alpha" featured in Marvel's Alien exist as perfect examples of the other end of the spectrum of what not to do.

I think Alex White did it absolutely perfectly, and part of that's definitely the unique circumstances of Blue Marsalis that can not be replicated, in addition to an understanding of Plagiarus Preapotens and the Pathogen I do not expect many other authors to replicate.

All in all it's good stuff.
[close]

Kimarhi

After thinking about it, the introduction of the black goo in prometheus would actually be something that Marvel would eat up. 

Its like the super soldier serum in the rest of the marvel verse.  It can give you Captain America.  It can give you U.S. Agent ( a stronger but psychologically unstable Captain America) and it can give you Sentry.  A being with the power of 1,000,000 exploding suns. 

Because black goo has murky properties and effects, it actually fits the EU much better than just about anything else the franchise has brought with it.  I wouldn't be surprised if black goo infested supervillians make a cross over into the Marvel comics. 

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 25, 2021, 05:10:08 PM
After thinking about it, the introduction of the black goo in prometheus would actually be something that Marvel would eat up. 

Its like the super soldier serum in the rest of the marvel verse.  It can give you Captain America.  It can give you U.S. Agent ( a stronger but psychologically unstable Captain America) and it can give you Sentry.  A being with the power of 1,000,000 exploding suns. 

Because black goo has murky properties and effects, it actually fits the EU much better than just about anything else the franchise has brought with it.  I wouldn't be surprised if black goo infested supervillians make a cross over into the Marvel comics.

I can't unsee this now...   :-\

Kimarhi

I was thinking that it wouldn't be a good fit for Marvel initially................but I am beggining to think I'm wrong.

Of course I doubt many novelist will go that route.  But comic book authors will eat that shit up. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed