Katherine Waterston on Alien: Covenant 2 - "I Haven’t Heard Anything in Ages"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 24, 2018, 11:19:48 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston on Alien: Covenant 2 - "I Haven’t Heard Anything in Ages" (Read 29,666 times)

Evanus

Protomorph is just something made up by fans though.

I'm almost convinced the Covenant Xenomorph wasn't supposed to be the same type of alien as the original, but we'll see. Maybe it is supposed to be the original alien, and they just decided to give it a new design.

Nukiemorph

Ridley said something about how the evolution of the creature wasn't done yet.  Crew during the Adam savage set visit specifically pointed out how the Covenant alien was intentionally more organic and had less biomech features.

I'm sure the final touch of the biomechanical elements was going to be added in the next film, completing the creation of the alien we know from the original movie.

How will this final evolutionary step happen?  And what becomes of David?  And how did an engineer ship full of eggs end up on LV-426 if the engineers didn't create the aliens?  These questions are why I'll be furious if this trilogy is never completed.

Denton Smalls

Quote from: necrotard on Apr 27, 2018, 07:48:41 PM
How will this final evolutionary step happen?  And what becomes of David?  And how did an engineer ship full of eggs end up on LV-426 if the engineers didn't create the aliens?  These questions are why I'll be furious if this trilogy is never completed.

"We've come this far, we must go on...we have to go on!"

bb-15

Quote from: Xeno from Chino on Apr 26, 2018, 04:09:05 PM
Katherine Waterston on Alien: Covenant 2 – "I Haven't Heard Anything in Ages"

Game over, man. Game over.

Is Disney known as a major horror movie studio like Warner Brothers or Universal?
No.
Sad for fans of Alien but that's the way it is.

;)

SM

Did Disney make super hero epics or space sagas before they bough Marvel and Lucasfilm?

Highland

Quote from: necrotard on Apr 27, 2018, 07:48:41 PM
Ridley said something about how the evolution of the creature wasn't done yet.  Crew during the Adam savage set visit specifically pointed out how the Covenant alien was intentionally more organic and had less biomech features.

I'm sure the final touch of the biomechanical elements was going to be added in the next film, completing the creation of the alien we know from the original movie.

You have to ask yourself though does that actually achieve anything? From what we've seen both past and present the Alien is basically the Alien in Covenant without tinfoil and toilet tubes stuck to it. Scott blew it too early.

The sequence should have went - Deacon thing, Neomorph thing, 3rd film - final reveal - Alien.

At this point seeing David tweak the Alien that already exists 98% complete in Covenant, do we really need that story? The Alien should have been the last stage, the grand finale, but everybody wet the bed.

Nukiemorph

The final tweak of the alien is honestly the least of my concerns.  I'm much more worried about my other points.  I want to know how Ridley planned to explain the space jockey crash and what becomes of David, who is now a very important character in the overall story of the series.

MU-TH-UR 6000

Quote from: necrotard on May 03, 2018, 10:39:12 AM
The final tweak of the alien is honestly the least of my concerns.  I'm much more worried about my other points.  I want to know how Ridley planned to explain the space jockey crash and what becomes of David, who is now a very important character in the overall story of the series.

Same. To be honest I couldn't give less a crap about the derelict in LV-426 or the egg silo. I think the most elegant way to handle it was for the final installment in the trilogy to hint at bigger things out there, involving the (original) xenomorph and the engineers. Give me more biomech experiments from the engineers, maybe including a giant one fused to a chair, a lab where they're trying out all sorts of weird shit on themselves and xeno like creatures, where they're trying to reach a perfect design based on something above them. Think of a lot of unwilling engineers subjects being used for creepy biomech fusions, maybe having one with elephantine features. See where I'm going with this? It would be a nice parallel to David's story trajectory, kinda proving he's a bit of a fraud, stealing the perfect design from someone above him, becoming what he really hates in the end, human. It would also leave things open for future movies and wouldn't offend the mystery behind the derelict in the first movie. It's just there, the engineers f**ked up. The end. I don't need that explained.

And in practical terms it doesn't need to be a mega expensive movie, War of the Worlds style like Ridley wanted. Just more gothic, Lovecraftian horror will do.

Highland

Quote from: necrotard on May 03, 2018, 10:39:12 AM

He's already 80% told it. It's like watching Attack of the Clones then a New Hope, without watching revenge of the Sith. Fill in the blanks.

I mean look at it this way, you could do a sequel that takes place after Alien 3, with David and his experiments. The problem is he/they have shoe horned themselves into this Jockey Story, when honestly I don't really give a rats ass how the ship went down.

I'd be more interested in seeing a movie where David just goes off and does weird things, split off from the Alien timeline, then reboot inside that.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

It's not easy to fill in these blanks.  I'm trying to write my own version of events and I constantly run into problems.

If you pick and choose what you want to believe, ignoring what the movies tell you, and if you ignore what Ridley has been hinting at in interviews, I'm sure the gap is easy to fill.  But I'm trying to reconcile everything we've been given.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: necrotard on May 03, 2018, 12:40:57 PM
It's not easy to fill in these blanks.  I'm trying to write my own version of events and I constantly run into problems.

If you pick and choose what you want to believe, ignoring what the movies tell you, and if you ignore what Ridley has been hinting at in interviews, I'm sure the gap is easy to fill.  But I'm trying to reconcile everything we've been given.

Well we know the SJ is an Engineer, that was really the big one. We know David made the eggs and even if he didn't the eggs were made/designed by the Engineers as weapons. We know the ship crashes. Getting to how the ship crashed is really the only thing left, which honestly isn't as interesting as who is the SJ and what are the Aliens (both answered).

David adding Biomech to the Alien would have been cool if it went from a Neo to the Big Chap, but going from the Covenant to the Big Chap is like changing the seat covers in your car. I mean Covenant is already the movie where David made the Alien. I really don't think the general movie goer would get it. They'd have to add exposition lines to tell the audience that it wasn't the same Alien he just made already, unless he makes the Queen.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Highland on May 03, 2018, 02:20:54 PM
Well we know the SJ is an Engineer, that was really the big one. We know David made the eggs and even if he didn't the eggs were made/designed by the Engineers as weapons. We know the ship crashes. Getting to how the ship crashed is really the only thing left, which honestly isn't as interesting as who is the SJ and what are the Aliens (both answered).

The size discrepancy between the space jockey and engineers might be a sloppy change made by Ridley, or it might mean that it's a different creature.  (It doesn't seem like a stretch to think maybe it's one of the creatures that created the engineers, implying that the engineers model their suits after their gods.)

The decay/fossilization of the space jockey is also an issue, (which I also have an idea on how to fix).  Again, is this just Ridley being dumb and lazy or is it something yet to be explained?
We can't know if we never let him finish telling his story.

And if David made the eggs, how in the hell did they end up on an engineer ship?  It's not like the answers are glaringly obvious and simple.  Alien: Awakening does not feel pre-ordained to me as if we all know exactly what's going to happen.

It's not like I'm excited to see the biomech touches added.  That aspect feels like a chore on a checklist at this point, but it's still yet another element that leaves this franchise feeling unfinished.

The other big thing that has yet to be explained is what became of David?  Right now, he's just out there somewhere.  He's a villain.  I want to see him taken down.  Until that happens, he's basically somewhere in the shadows for the four original movies.

I value this timeline and I love these movies.  I want them to work together and I don't want reboots.  Right now, there's a gap that I don't know how to fill and it's so much more complicated than just wondering how one single ship crashed.

And if you're a Star Wars fan, would it honestly not have bothered you at all if the franchise just stopped cold turkey after Episode II?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: necrotard on May 03, 2018, 03:07:47 PM
Quote from: Highland on May 03, 2018, 02:20:54 PM

The size discrepancy between the space jockey and engineers might be a sloppy change made by Ridley, or it might mean that it's a different creature.  (It doesn't seem like a stretch to think maybe it's one of the creatures that created the engineers, implying that the engineers model their suits after their gods.)

The decay/fossilization of the space jockey is also an issue, (which I also have an idea on how to fix).  Again, is this just Ridley being dumb and lazy or is it something yet to be explained?
We can't know if we never let him finish telling his story.

And if David made the eggs, how in the hell did they end up on an engineer ship?  It's not like the answers are glaringly obvious and simple.  Alien: Awakening does not feel pre-ordained to me as if we all know exactly what's going to happen.

It's not like I'm excited to see the biomech touches added.  That aspect feels like a chore on a checklist at this point, but it's still yet another element that leaves this franchise feeling unfinished.

The other big thing that has yet to be explained is what became of David?  Right now, he's just out there somewhere.  He's a villain.  I want to see him taken down.  Until that happens, he's basically somewhere in the shadows for the four original movies.

I value this timeline and I love these movies.  I want them to work together and I don't want reboots.  Right now, there's a gap that I don't know how to fill and it's so much more complicated than just wondering how one single ship crashed.

And if you're a Star Wars fan, would it honestly not have bothered you at all if the franchise just stopped cold turkey after Episode II?

In addition, the Derelict seems to be designed to transport eggs instead of urns, which is odd now that we know that David created the Alien. Although I can imagine the whole Covenant crew becoming the eggs.

Evanus

The egg hall in Alien didn't really seem to be a part of the ship.

I mean, look at that:

That's huuuge. Too big to be a part of the ship, I think.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe is a cousin of...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed