Report Back From Comic-Con

Started by Darkness, Jul 28, 2004, 11:31:03 PM

Author
Report Back From Comic-Con (Read 17,290 times)

Darkness

Darkness

Frequent AvPGalaxy visitor, Gr8kabuki, visited the San Diego Comic Convention last week and has just submitted his report on the event and the Alien vs Predator footage that was shown there. Here’s an extract:

“There may not be much human blood but there will be gallons of green and yellow pred and alien blood. During the battle a predator gets impaled on an Alien tail and it’s pretty graphic. The MPAA has always thought green blood is ok for the kiddies and it looks like it will be flying around by the gallon in this. I think that human kills will be masked with pred vision, etc.”

The report is very well-written and takes an insight into the negatives of the footage as well as the positives. Take a read on the next page…

—-Begin Report—-

The USA Today article was accurate in its description of the reaction to the film clips. The gigantic “Hall H” at the San Diego Convention Center was almost full so there were at least 5000 people in the audience. Many of these had stayed from the Resident Evil 2/ The Grudge panels (with Sarah Michelle Gellar in attendance) that had been shown immediately prior to AVP presentation.

Sanaa Lathan, Lance Henriksson, Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff all came out and talked about the film a little. They really didn’t say much that hasn’t been discussed before. Two scenes were shown (a) the exposition scenes where Weyland explains the nature of the expedition which then cuts to a verbal confrontation between Lex and Weyland in his cabin (b) the first battle between aliens and predators.

The bad:

1. During the battle clip, humans were simply knocked around by predators so there was no blood. I think that this is what can be expected throughout the movie. It would be nice to see blood flying but I don’t think that it’s a very realistic expectation from a business standpoint. This is a movie aimed at teenagers and the studio will not jeopardize this. It’s not Anderson’s decision. I don’t get the over reaction with the R starting from the internet community. Personally I like R movies due to nudity and blood but I don’t get upset if a film has less T&A and blood to avoid NC 17.

2. During Lance’s speaking time he over emphasized the supposed motivation of the character. “The guy is a billionaire, he made his money in robotics, he’s dying and what’s to be remembered for a positive contribution “etc. To me these are just plot details and indicates a weak script. What the character does is not motivation …why he does what he does and how he feels because of it is motivation. Lance is an awesome actor and intelligent man so I imagine he had to dig deep for something to work with and that was all he could come up with.

3. Alec Gillis stressed the fact that Anderson is a huge fan of both franchises who’s goal was to make a great action film. He also told me this prior to the panel at his book signing. I got the feeling he was already rationalizing why the film will not be groundreaking although he has not seen it edited

The good:

1. There may not be much human blood but there will be gallons of green and yellow pred and alien blood. During the battle a predator gets impaled on an Alien tail and it’s pretty graphic. The MPAA has always thought green blood is ok for the kiddies and it looks like it will be flying around by the gallon in this. I think that human kills will be masked with pred vision, etc.

2. The fight was great and ended with Scar kicking major ass. Aliens 1 predators 1 after the first round. There were about 5000 people in the audience and they went nuts. The only drawback was the cheesy cuts to human reaction shots. They were too long and too frequent.

3. The cast members and fx guys were also genuinely excited to see the clip. All claimed to have never seen the edited clip prior to it being shown there.

4. This was not a crowd of pro Anderson fanboys who clapped at everything shown to them. After an Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid clip, the hall was filled with boos. Before the AVP clips rolled people were screaming things like “Bring back Fincher!” but after the fight was shown everyone was pumped. This will be a hit for Fox.

5. Sanaa Lathan- Freaking gorgeous. I hadn’t been a big fan until I saw her in person and she is very, very hot. What’s more encouraging was how her performance came across on screen. Her acting was understated and believable. I had been worried because the trailers and novel have her coming across as some kind of bad ass super chick ( Like Milla J in RE2). Ripley only seemed this way to me in AR. In the other movies she acted and reacted like a real person. From the little bits that were shown, Sanaa made Lex seem believable.

That’s my account. Hopefully you can use it on the site. I was able to meet Gillis and Woodruff at the signing For the AVP Creature FX book. I asked them why there were no pictures of the Predburster and Gillis told me that Fox prevented some things from being used at the time the book was published. They then signed the book , an Alien 3 mask and a mini poster I picked up at the show.

—-End Report—-

G-Dog

G-Dog

The rating thing is answered!!!!!!!! Like we said, its about the $$$$$$$$$$$.......!!! FOCKERS!!!!    >:D 

HA! just as someone expected, human killings covered by Pred vision. Thats cool, don't mind that, and graphic pred and alien killings?? Thats all we wanted!! so the MPAA sees gallons of green and acid blood ok??? no problem. We all should be filling better now. Disregard the not seeing humans get ripped apart guys come on. Sounds like the story is weak the way they described Alec's speach....still going to kick ass though!!

No complains here now that the rating is ANSWERED pretty much. Only one thing remains, how long is the film?

Correction, the plot seemed weak when they explained Lance's speach not Alec's.

J

J

Paul Anderson had no decision over the rating, Hell I knew that, Dogman.    NOW maybe people can stop jumping his back and just wait ...  ... soon people, REEAAAL SOON!   ;D  

alienworshoper

alienworshoper

i read the book and it was pretty violent....lots of pred alien and pplz dying. i really dont c how it could b pg-13 b-cuz the book was violent....but we should take wat thy give us. i still think it will b great.

SaNdMaNxX

SaNdMaNxX

well theres alil more for us  thnx for posting it up DARKNESS..

J

J

The green blood factor world come across less threatening than red blood, hence the rating.    JUST BRING THE BLASTED FILM, AAR!

SHURIKEN

SHURIKEN

i cant wait to see scar just rip apart aliens in this movie  vice versa grid alien ripping humans and preds  i can wait to see all the flourescent pred blood   i think it will have a cool effect in the dark black blues and silvers that are found in the pyramid  hopefully, this movie is a turning point for these sci fi sagas only 15 more days

Lord HamsteR

Lord HamsteR

WHO CARE ABOUT HUMANS?!?!? ALL WE NEED IS ALIENS AND PREDS!!! if it would be my choise i would wana see film about alien and pred war withaut eny humans cous honestly in leitest films the vilens kill humans in exact same wey they did 20 years ago and its prity boring!! but now we will see on big screen what we have saw in game and that is some thing!

Galmorzu

Galmorzu

Looks pretty much as I was expecting it to be.  It's going to be a great fun movie, but not really big on any kind of plot or character, which means critics are going to trash it big-time.  But it doesn't really bother me, because while I would have liked an Aliens calibre movie I always love a really cool movie that I can pop into my DVD player any time and just enjoy.  So hey, I'm still excited for it!     ;D  

Galmorzu

Galmorzu

I like what was said about the making of book, concerning Fox not wanting to show certain things at this point about the movie's secrets (predburster).  This just makes me more eager to see if the novel purposely changed things near the end just so that when we see the movie we'll be suprised by a different ending or something.

admiral max

admiral max

HMMM this film is going to kick ass finally i get to see the two beat each other to death even if this is not a success its still a new alien or predator film at least give them some backing  p.s i could have done better if i directed   ;D  

Spike

Spike

Man, sucks that you'll only be able to see peeps bleed.Oh well/ I wonder if the'll be eaten by Aliens gruesomely?you know, blood and stuff.

Jason

Jason

actually in the novel we dont really focuses on people getting killed. but below is how some of them die  
Spoiler
most of the drilling team is killed while we focuses on quinn, who will probably not be killed in pred vision. stafford and co. are also killed by preds and  i doubt this will be in pred vision cause stafford means alot to weyland who watches him killed. weyland death im not so sure about, and most of the other are killed by aliens, including sebastien who get the chest burter ending, which i also doubt is in pred vision.
[close]
I dont really think fox would cheapen the movie that bad by cutting to pred vision but i guess well find out what two weeks and two days!!!   ;D  

_-={ Predator }=-_

_-={ Predator }=-_

the movie looks pretty cool but it bugs me that scar gets revenge even though im a human i wish all the humans would just get massacred with the pred blood and alien blood its gonna be cool but i hope there was more human blood than i anticipated and i agree with lord hamster who cares bout the humans couldnt the bad guys win for once i mean in chronicles of riddick at least riddick won but u know it would be cool for the aliens and preds to be dominating but the movie has me excited still i just hope scar dies...scar is a human right?    :-\  

Galmorzu

Galmorzu

Scar is the lead Predator.  And periods make things much easier to read.     ;D  

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed