Alien: Covenant Set Reports *Spoilers

Started by Anthony, Mar 01, 2017, 02:09:30 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Set Reports *Spoilers (Read 45,336 times)

Necronomicon II

Sought of makes sense to me; we assume the engineers were responsible for creating (or guiding the evolution of) mankind, perhaps they were not...

Cavalorn

Cavalorn

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 03, 2017, 10:34:48 AMAre you the Cavalorn who wrote that noted Prometheus Unbound post back in 2012? If so, thank you. I was baffled by the movie but was starting to piece together some of the stuff you articulated. It got me excited about delving deeper and now it's one of my favorite movies because of all the layers of implication.

Yep, that's me. Glad you liked it!

QuoteThat said, I don't think Scott was talking about horror. I think he was saying that Prometheus contained misdirection, and the creation of humans and the Aliens won't necessarily be what we expect based on that movie. He gestured to the statues to rule them out as the creators of the Engineers. The search will go on.

My reasons for thinking he's talking about the design of the Alien creature centre on the reference to 'this thing', which is clearly a single phenomenon. If you take the quote at face value - 'why was this thing designed to make human beings' - it's gibberish. Why was what thing designed to create humans? Have we seen a human being factory anywhere, whose design suddenly needs explanation? Why would we need to know that it wasn't the Engineers who made the thing that in turn made humans?

But if you read it as 'why was this thing designed to make human beings frightened' it makes perfect sense. Scott's reference to 'the old dark house' suggests to me that he's talking about horror movie tropes.

Edit to add: joblo.com's summary of what Scott said makes it clear it is the Alien whose design is being talked about here:

• He thought that ALIEN had run its course; but then thought with that special kind of creature, it shouldn't have run its course and should not have ended. So he's coming back to it with a very simple idea, who created them, nobody ever asked that question, and why do they exist?

• ALIEN was about 7 guys and gals in a steel hull, which was frankly a very old idea, the spooked house and who is going to die next. It was a B movie idea but with class and a superior cast which made it an A+ film.

• They reinvented the idea of ALIEN with PROMETHEUS. And with COVENANT they are taking one step closer to who and why this thing was designed. And if you think it's the beings represented by the giant heads in the Altar room, you're dead wrong.

Darth Vile

My interpretation is that it's the black goo Scott is referencing. We assume the engineers used the black goo to terraform, and it was with the black goo that kick started evolution here on Earth. I think Scott is saying our assumption is incorrect. Perhaps it was all a big experiment that ****** up? I.e. it wasn't by design...

Necronomicon II

That's probably it; that thing - black goo - who created that and why.

Evanus

http://www.imdb.com/imdbpicks/alien-covenant-set-visit/ls064061628/?linkId=35053905
QuoteThere's mounting, unconfirmed evidence that Paradise may have once been home to humans who worshipped the Engineers.
Uhh, whaaaat?

Corporal Hicks

I don't think that's likely. Ridley seemed to indicate it's Engineers worshiping their own betters.

Evanus

Yeah, exactly. They're probably just confused.

Corporal Hicks

http://www.slashfilm.com/alien-covenant-set-visit-report/

I've not read it yet but likely more of the same.

Necronomicon II

Yeah nothing different.

thexenomorph

Then like Adam and Eve, the humans were kicked out?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Thanks for this Ingwar. Very interesting article.

QuoteRidley listened to the PROMETHEUS criticism: people wanted more aliens.

The problem with Prometheus wasn't really the absence of aliens though. In fact, they were probably better off without them considering how they were utilized in Spaiths' scripts. I'm hoping he heard the complaints about the script and editing issues though.

Now this is weird. Where did Ingwar's thread go and why has my reply to his post been moved to this thread now?  ???

Corporal?  >:(

Darth Vile

I'm sure Scott recognisises some of the script inadequacies in Prometheus, however, the lack of 'horror' was something oft mentioned within fandom. From a marketing perspective too, it was an odd one... which is probably why the Prometheus trailer felt much more like an Alien movie than the actual film itself.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 03, 2017, 03:55:11 PM
Now this is weird. Where did Ingwar's thread go and why has my reply to his post been moved to this thread now?  ???

Looks like one of the other mods merged the thread with the Set Report one.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ah right, found his post on the previous page of this thread. It probably got synced into the timestamps of the other posts in this thread. Though it was probably deserving of it's own thread since it was quite informative.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2017, 09:03:37 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 03, 2017, 03:55:11 PM

Looks like one of the other mods merged the thread with the Set Report one.

I did, since Ingwar's link was already included and being discussed here.

Apologies for any confusion, folks  :-[

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed