The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 101,909 times)

Paladinrja

Paladinrja

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Feb 13, 2013, 09:14:44 PM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/of-course-gearbox-made-aliens-colonial-marines-sega-insists/0110827
Thas, that exerpt from launch day in Italy isn't it?

Quote from: RC on Feb 13, 2013, 09:09:12 PM
Quote from: Paladinrja on Feb 13, 2013, 08:50:33 PM
Quote from: RC on Feb 13, 2013, 08:24:16 PM
Quote from: Paladinrja on Feb 13, 2013, 08:13:24 PM
Best apology they could make is to fix the damn thing and make it enjoyable. Anything else would be more bullshit.

How about more Michael Biehn?

What?

Aren't you his biggest fan?

wtf? whats that got to do with anything. I'm sure everyone knows I am no fan of Biehns. There a point to this or do you just need some sleep?

Bjørn Half-hand

Quote from: Paladinrja on Feb 13, 2013, 09:18:38 PM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/of-course-gearbox-made-aliens-colonial-marines-sega-insists/0110827

Don't know to be honest, just google searched ''who actually made A:CM single player campaign'' and this popped up as a recent article.

Paladinrja

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Feb 13, 2013, 09:20:54 PM
Quote from: Paladinrja on Feb 13, 2013, 09:18:38 PM

Don't know to be honest, just google searched ''who actually made A:CM single player campaign'' and this popped up as a recent article.

Yah, I been pumping google searches since this all blew up and that tidbits the only thing so far. Sega honcho @ Italian launch or something. Clearly quotes GBX are solely responsible for the campaign.

jahickson

jahickson

Again, A:CM the game (SP and MP) were handed off to Time Gate for about year while the Aliens team (team Pecan) were pulled in to finish BL:2...

And no I didn't get this off reddit, I was saying days before (look back in this thread)  these stories broke on twitter and reddit... I work in the Industry and if you do too you will know its not very big and you quite frequently hear directly from people who work or worked at certain companies and games...

Like I said before, the story of GBX's Furious 4 is another doozy. These things aren't uncommon they just never find the light of day.

Also, as I said before any of these other stories broke, Sega did NOT know at the time that GBX pushed the majority of the development to Time Gate while it finished up BL:2... Hence, why you see Sega coming out denying these rumors. It may seem like in front they are backing up GBX, but in fact that are making sure they don't look like idiots for not knowing... Again, Sega pays GBX for the game, not the other way around... They didn't pay Time Gate to make this game..

I guarantee there are some pretty heated talks in the GBX offices with Sega execs about the true nature of the development of this game.

Also, quickly think about it... without knowing any of this information, what do you think GBX benefits more from:

a) Finishing BL2 and DLC

b) Finishing A:CM and DLC

Blacklabel

CLUSTERf**k.

Nightlord

Quote from: ikarop on Feb 13, 2013, 10:07:10 PM
http://forums.timegate.com/showthread.php?p=285152#post285152
Poor bastards if true, gearbox basically used them and now everyone is pointing fingers.

jahickson

thanks ikarop....  ;)

again,  another article from the moderator of Time Gates forums saying what I am saying..

look Paladinrja, I am not blaming Time Gate for this mess... I am blaming GBX. They didn't have enough time to finish the game and saw something a lot more lucrative for their company in finishing Borderlands 2 first... (obviously at the cost of their other projects). They outsourced 'the game' while they finished up BL2, then had to quickly go back to Aliens C:M to meet Sega's demands of a finished product (which they have every right to-- 6+ years is a longggg time)...

Gearbox was greedy and unrealistic and had their best team working on BL2 and DLC while their other projects suffered as a consequence.

Paladinrja

Quote from: jahickson on Feb 13, 2013, 09:47:23 PM
Again, A:CM the game (SP and MP) were handed off to Time Gate for about year while the Aliens team (team Pecan) were pulled in to finish BL:2...

And no I didn't get this off reddit, I was saying days before (look back in this thread)  these stories broke on twitter and reddit... I work in the Industry and if you do too you will know its not very big and you quite frequently hear directly from people who work or worked at certain companies and games...

Like I said before, the story of GBX's Furious 4 is another doozy. These things aren't uncommon they just never find the light of day.

Also, as I said before any of these other stories broke, Sega did NOT know at the time that GBX pushed the majority of the development to Time Gate while it finished up BL:2... Hence, why you see Sega coming out denying these rumors. It may seem like in front they are backing up GBX, but in fact that are making sure they don't look like idiots for not knowing... Again, Sega pays GBX for the game, not the other way around... They didn't pay Time Gate to make this game..

I guarantee there are some pretty heated talks in the GBX offices with Sega execs about the true nature of the development of this game.

Also, quickly think about it... without knowing any of this information, what do you think GBX benefits more from:

a) Finishing BL2 and DLC

b) Finishing A:CM and DLC

I already said this was old news.
Original poster:-
submitted 20 hours ago* by throwawayacm

Just what are you tryin ta pull mate? You'd be supprised just how much from the industry back channels really does get out actually.

Anyway. Not buying any of it. Even your multiple choice offerrings don't make the parity check. Thats a blatant ultimatum, this titles been in cascading cross developement for 6 yrs.

The picture you guys totting this around to any who will listen is to get GBX off the hook. You claim that 80%+ of the campaign was outsourced to Timegate, but that shouldn't have beeb blah, blah.
But heres the problem, see? No one got past the Timegate reference and peoples psychology being what it is will always return logic to Timegate. You're creating a scapegoat for GBX.
Second reason why its bulshittery is because you don't referrence Demiurge anywhere. Demi and GBX did the very first nterviews together last year to discuss the title. Its also confirmed that Demi took the title out of cryo and redid 90% of the groundwork across all platforms before handing it back to GBX. Demi are the only constant dev group on this because of the Wii U verion.

In short, stop trying to make a scapegoat for GBX. Its thier fault and no others. TG could never have done the story anyway because primaries can only come from GBX they do the design solely.

This is quite funny. Are you the same guy across all forums on this because heaps of people are buyin it. You know what happens if they latch onto you right?

jahickson

Yes, you are right. I am the community moderator at Time Gate throwing company under the bus... ::)

You responded before reading alll the responses above. I already addressed who I am blaming.

Paladinrja

Quote from: jahickson on Feb 13, 2013, 10:25:56 PM
Yes, you are right. I am the community moderator at Time Gate throwing company under the bus... ::)

You responded before reading alll the responses above. I already addressed who I am blaming.

Sega already nicked GBX for blame on launch day (to a reporter I might add). Why bother with this? Coz you are throwing TG under a buss bringing this into focus.

You forget what people are like. They won't see a word past TG this and that. TG are a dev I kinda like who seem to me to be the next Free Radical. Hate to see them take the wrap for what 3 partners f**ked up all on thier own.

jahickson

But the bigger plot point is that GBX outsourced a game they were hired to make... That is the part I am trying to communicate. Sega expected GBX's top people to be making this game, not outsourcing a majoirty of it because they couldn't handle it within their other schedules...

Remember, Gearbox is tied up with Sega for Aliens, 2K Games for Borderlands, and Ubisoft for Furious 4.... for at least the projects I am aware of. I am sure the uppers at GBX realized it would be best for them to push off Aliens in favor of DNF, BL2, DLC, etc etc...

Basically too much on their plate without the balls to admit they couldn't handle it.  That is f**ked up part to me. In all these interviews, demos, etc they claim how much of an honor it is to work on this game yet they give it an half assed effort.

Trust me, I don't want to see Time Gate go down... I work for a company just like them. I want Randy to take off his smug expression and be honest for once in his studios history. They f**ked up. And in the end f**ked up what could have been an amazing game.

chupacabras acheronsis

i really can't remember a scandal of this magnitude for the videogame industry happening in recent times.

Paladinrja

Quote from: jahickson on Feb 13, 2013, 10:39:51 PM
But the bigger plot point is that GBX outsourced a game they were hired to make... That is the part I am trying to communicate. Sega expected GBX's top people to be making this game, not outsourcing a majoirty of it because they couldn't handle it within their other schedules...

Remember, Gearbox is tied up with Sega for Aliens, 2K Games for Borderlands, and Ubisoft for Furious 4.... for at least the projects I am aware of. I am sure the uppers at GBX realized it would be best for them to push off Aliens in favor of DNF, BL2, DLC, etc etc...

Basically too much on their plate without the balls to admit they couldn't handle it.  That is f**ked up part to me. In all these interviews, demos, etc they claim how much of an honor it is to work on this game yet they give it an half assed effort.

Trust me, I don't want to see Time Gate go down... I work for a company just like them. I want Randy to take off his smug expression and be honest for once in his studios history. They f**ked up. And in the end f**ked up what could have been an amazing game.

This is true but ever stop to think how much work GBX sources for small groups like TG and Demi? These bootstrp devs havent built the numbers up yet to stand on thier own cred. Last thing anyone should want is GBX gone. So many other studio's would go with them.

jahickson

jahickson

That's not all true though. A lot, of the outsourcing firms work for multiple different companies and if GBX goes, it may be one lost partner, but I doubt GBX is going to have them help them again anyway... Not because they are bad mind you, but just for the sake of their own f**ked up PR and using Time Gate and the scapegoat for A:CM.

I have faith Time Gate will be OK. In the end, they most likely received all their money from GBX for this game... So sales will not necessarily have an impact for Time Gate... (although, since they did more than simple outsourcing, they may have a profit sharing agreement but I do not know that as fact... I would be surprised if they did)...

Again, the bigger plot point is I think we may see a showdown between Sega and GBX. No one is commenting which seems to suggest some legal repercussions may be underway.

Also the HORRIBLE part of the game to me was NOT outsourced...  ;) The horrid story and dialogue... Mikey Nuemann needs to stop writing. Period.

"We had a thing.... A sex thing."

oh brother! haha  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed