Status Update on Sequel and Mod Support

Started by ikarop, May 13, 2011, 08:18:51 PM

Author
Status Update on Sequel and Mod Support (Read 84,602 times)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

QuoteThe game is fixed on PC (though I do know some console gamers around here get by just fine on their respective systems), and has always been better than AvP2 and AvP'99. Other folks may have preferential differences or their own ideas about what a game should be, but as an AvP game AvP3 is the one that does all 3 franchises the most justice.

An SDK will come, sooner or later. Whether it's official or otherwise remains to be seen, but it'll happen. Heck, thanks to Ikarop and friends we've already got a mod scene going. Props to them on that.

I remember Windebieste saying a long time ago that the future of the AvP2 mod scene was single player. I wonder if it'll hold true for AvP3.

Tastes & colours, something that can't be argue but personally, I think it does the least justice to the franchises.
Probably the design ADI like... or the mechanic that is a console one (and as a PC gamer I hate it) or even the fact it has less features than any of the previous game.

The capabilities of AVP3 SP are very very very limited compared to AVP2 (no ladder, specific switch, torchable things, hacker code is broken and needs to have enemies down to works).
Mod will be achieved more likely for MP unless someone takes care to add every features that should have been since the beginning of the game.

skull-splitter

Quote from: T.L.22 on Jun 05, 2011, 03:46:33 PM
The game is fixed on PC (though I do know some console gamers around here get by just fine on their respective systems), and has always been better than AvP2 and AvP'99.

Eh, no, sorry, but this applies ONLY to the graphics part of the game, the rest is halfway between AvP'99 and AvP2. If AvP2 was remade with the looks of AvP'00 but keeping and polishing the gameplay of AvP2, it'd be winner.

AvP'99 and AvP'00 IMO lack the same amount of finishing, love and depth. Both were eventually pushed out the door without being truly done, and both served their purpose: proving the concept works. (Just don't push the melee system)

While Monolith's choice of style wasn't their brightest hour (though arguably due to the standard of technology by 2001), the game truly felt as if there were three games crammed in one, and each felt deep, rich and alive. I missed that part in AvP'00, and it's something that can easily be improved upon in a next incarnation.

I'd rather have Rebellion just leave the franchise alone and focus on their own IP's (2000AD anyone, work that beast FFS), and leave AvP to some more capable developers.
I'd rather have Raven soft (I for one LOVED what they brought to Singularity) do this franchise based on the classics than another half-finished one from Rebellion that's overly infested by the 2004 and 2007 movie.

T.L.22

I'd continue to debate this with you two, Le Celticant and Skull-splitter, but I have to remind myself:

* It's gotten to the point where your opinions will never be swayed as you have completely settled into your ideas on the game, as have most of the folks around here. Like a shouting match between brothers.

* This is turning into "My opinion is fact" "No, my opinion is fact" "No mine is!" etc..., which I admit to being as guilty of as you guys. The mechanics in each game work on each games' terms. Each game has plenty of vanilla content. The opinions become whether or not we like it, or whether or not we feel it's enough content for us. We've already made clear our preferences hundreds of times in other threads.

* I'm becoming part of the problem of this thread losing it's actual focus: a mere update on the status of an SDK for the new game. I know I'm no mod, and they seem to have allowed us all to go on about AvP2 vs AvP3, but that's not even what this thread is about.

But I do want to say at least one thing before I wait for an actual update to Ikarop's post: I am pretty excited that they're even chattin' about an SDK. ;D If there's one thing I'll unfairly assume we all can agree on without taking a Gallup poll, it's that we all do want to see this game modded more.

PLEXI

Well I'll cross my fingers that it's released...  This game could seriously use some fixing.  As well as more maps :D

skull-splitter

Ok, all great and such, but please, support your claims further than just saying it was the best AvP evah. It dropped in both support from the publisher as in support from players for a reason IMO...

scarhunter92

QuoteThe game is fixed on PC (though I do know some console gamers around here get by just fine on their respective systems), and has always been better than AvP2 and AvP'99.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9GuwuOVZc#

WinterActual

An SDK will come, sooner or later.
Yeah, no  ::)

T.L.22

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jun 11, 2011, 09:17:03 PM
Ok, all great and such, but please, support your claims further than just saying it was the best AvP evah. It dropped in both support from the publisher as in support from players for a reason IMO...
Make a new thread to bash the game in? I remember this one being about the potential for mod tools by Rebellion, pending Sega's blessing.

Quote from: Moss on Jun 12, 2011, 01:29:29 PM
An SDK will come, sooner or later.
Yeah, no  ::)
You do know we already have the beginnings of a mod scene without publisher/dev support, right? People have made skins and sound mods, messed with the vision modes, they've removed the HUD, replaced any number of sounds, changed the menus, heck, they've even played Survivor in Refinery and such. People have been able to export models to other games, I believe with skeletons intact. When I say an SDK will come sooner or later, what I mean is, to quote Ian Malcolm, players find a way.

skull-splitter

Avoid conversation, awesome.

Le Celticant

QuoteWhen I say an SDK will come sooner or later, what I mean is, to quote Ian Malcolm, players find a way.
No.

T.L.22

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jun 13, 2011, 11:36:14 AM
Avoid conversation, awesome.
Because we've had this "conversation" plenty of times before, with neither side budging? Brick walls trying to convince brick walls, ya know?

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jun 13, 2011, 12:18:14 PM
QuoteWhen I say an SDK will come sooner or later, what I mean is, to quote Ian Malcolm, players find a way.
No.
Yes.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?board=43.0

Brother

Wonder how will a few pred skins help the game.

ikarop

Quote from: Brother on Jun 13, 2011, 05:51:35 PM
Wonder how will a few pred skins help the game.

10.000 downloads at Moddb. Just for a "few pred skins". And I've getting messages from people saying they got back to the game thanks to these hacks since the first skin was posted.

Either way, enough with the bashing. You guys have other threads to discuss that stuff. Please leave this one for updates.

I Come In Peace

I Come In Peace

Are there any plans for Rebellion  to make AVP4 and while im at it Soldier of fortune 4 i added some questions on youtube i hope they will reply to.

Its been along time since either had a follow up and Soldier Of Fortune Payback didn't count.  Uh oh was it raven who did soldier of fortune 1 and 2?

x-M-x

x-M-x

The whole SDK/Tools/Source thing is becoming much of an old relic of sorts...

No matter how many AVP games we'll see... i doubt well see any sort of official sdk/tools being released.

AvP 2010 has been out for 8 years.... and what custom content has it got to show? pretty much nadda...

Don't expect them to release any sdk for avp 2010 or any future avp game they might make.

The story is different for avp99/avp2 as during that *Era* DLC didn't exist or any quick money making scheme lol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed