Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 56,381 times)

Drukathi

kek. Someone's crap is a shit, but someone's - a pure gold. But in the end - a crap is a crap.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

#316
I'll take messy and interesting over competent and bland any day. Alien 3 is very much the former. Other Aliens followups we've gotten, like those first three Dark Horse runs, fall into the latter category to me (despite what teenage me responsible for coming up with a username on this site may have thought at the time :D ).

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 23, 2021, 12:28:49 PM
'You know,' he concludes, 'if I make 10 shitty movies, I'll deserve the flak and if I go on to make 10 great ones, this'll probably be looked upon as my first bungled masterpiece.' -David Fincher

Hmm. A bungled masterpiece? As in a badly done outstanding work of artistry? Strange pairing of words.

Do you have a link for it TQ? Even in the past couple years I've still read Fincher rightly or wrongly dogging the Alien3 script and referring to the experience as a nightmare, so I'd love to read this in context.

Private Buttz

Private Buttz

#318
The prequels suck and have done for Alien what AVP did for, well Alien. The franchise has effectively been ruined. This was the movie that should have been made. But It's not surprise it didn't get made. It's far too interesting and risky a concept for a studio to support.

BlueMarsalis79


Voodoo Magic


BlueMarsalis79

Nothing interesting about it Private.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nameless Corporal on Aug 23, 2021, 07:02:40 AM
If Disney were smart they should've revived the project but hearing about the new tv-series in the works, set on Earth, and probably star a bunch of activists getting face hugged  :P ...maybe it'll be entertaining to watch.

Quote from: Drukathi on Aug 23, 2021, 12:50:59 PM
kek.

Quote from: Private Buttz on Aug 23, 2021, 02:15:49 PM
But It's not surprise it didn't get made. It's far too interesting and risky a concept for a studio to support.

Threadly reminder that if you wanted this movie, these are the people who agree with you.

Nightmare Asylum

I'd be more than willing to bet any money that, if Disney did briefly consider bringing this back after acquiring Fox, any desire they probably had to make it was likely squashed by how Terminator: Dark Fate performed. Realistically speaking, why would this perform any differently from that? It's the same exact situation - it's an expensive, R-rated sci-fi film serving as a partial sequel bringing back the original franchise lead and wiping away the lesser-liked installments. And it bombed.

DaniilLogOut

DaniilLogOut

#324
Was it really a secret that Chappie underperformance seriously hurt possibility of Blomkamp's Alienmovie being made ?

Some Old Dude

I love the idea that Ridley watched Chappie and refused to ever utter another word to Blomkamp ever again. Damn mate the movie wasn't that bad.

Nightmare Asylum

Chappie and David should converse about the meaning of life.

GoroPredator

I was never interested in seeing another Distinct 9 sprinkled with Aliens nostalgia so I'm honestly relieved that he's no longer involved. 

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

#328
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 23, 2021, 06:54:06 PM
I'd be more than willing to bet any money that, if Disney did briefly consider bringing this back after acquiring Fox, any desire they probably had to make it was likely squashed by how Terminator: Dark Fate performed. Realistically speaking, why would this perform any differently from that? It's the same exact situation - it's an expensive, R-rated sci-fi film serving as a partial sequel bringing back the original franchise lead and wiping away the lesser-liked installments. And it bombed.

Hmm. I don't personally think it's the same exact situation.

First I love Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor. But while fantastic, Linda was never the international draw or the star. Arnold Schwarzenegger had always been the title draw in the Terminator franchise, and Sigourney Weaver in Alien is more equivalent to him, than to her.

But to be the same exact situation, Sigourney would have tried to retcon Alien 3 twice. If you recall Terminator Genisys with Arnold in 2015 retconned T3 & Salvation to a tally of 440 Million, but audiences were turned off to its casting and quality. But it made enough worldwide to justify another try. So in 2019, they retconned both T3 & Salvation again with Dark Fate with a tally of $261 Million and clearly at that point, collectively, audiences started having enough.

The Eighth Passenger

Quote from: Some Old Dude on Aug 24, 2021, 04:58:46 AM
I love the idea that Ridley watched Chappie and refused to ever utter another word to Blomkamp ever again. Damn mate the movie wasn't that bad.

:laugh:

Below Right: Ridley Scott photographed while watching Chappie:



Interesting though... Chappie was a unmitigated mullet fest. Then along comes Raised by Wolves & The Last Duel and what do we get? Mullets...

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed