NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 814,977 times)

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2016, 01:02:12 AM
Are inner jaws supposed to be really, really hard to get out? Cos I've got two with stiff tongues. In a way it's good as it stops them sliding around, but needing tweezers to pull them out with force is a bit much.

I got the concept xeno recently and the inner jaws on mine slide in and out when I turn the box from side to side. It's kinda made me afraid to even open it after some of the horror stories I've heard here and elsewhere about parts falling off and breaking etc. I don't have enough space to properly display any of my figures right now anyway, but if one day I do I hope I don't end up removing it from its packaging and having the inner jaws just fall right out of its mouth.

Going back a bit (since I wasn't registered here yet when SDCC was going on ;) ), I love the look of the Mantis Alien especially. They really knocked it out of the part with that one. The Gorilla looks pretty awesome as well, though I feel like the torso possibly should have been a little wider to really double down on that "gorilla" look (and bring it a little closer to the original Kenner figure). But it still looks really damn nice, and the removable dome is a nice touch, especially given the "gimmicks" these figures had originally.

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 24, 2016, 01:16:36 AM
As the Queen Facehugger is based on the one we see in the extended version of 'ALIEN 3' and not some outlandish speculation like much of the rest of Kenner's production run from the early 1990's, it just feels out of place here.  I thought NECA would have more completely embraced updating Kenner's more more outrageous items more fully.  This figure feels out of place, a ring in.  It feels like it belongs in a 'Creature Pack' similar to what they released recently rather than this series.

I gotta admit, the Q. Hugger lacks the unrestrained wild appeal of the earlier 2 items they announced as part of series 10.

Agreed. The Queen Facehugger is the only one of the three I ever actually owned back in the day (I always wanted a Gorilla figure too), so I'll definitely have to pick that up as well, but I do kinda wish it was perhaps a little bit bigger though. Like you said, it sort of seems like they wanted to go with a bit of a middle-ground between being "realistic" or "canon" and the outright craziness of the Kenner original, since it looks a little bit smaller in the figure comparison picture than I remember the original Queen Facehugger being (and given the Alien 3 webbing around the legs/fingers). I had the Kenner Drake figure and I remember the Queen could pretty much wrap completely around him, which doesn't look like it's going to be the case here.

But either way, it's still looks cool. They definitely nailed the colour scheme, that's for sure. I'm really glad they've committed to doing pretty much the entire Kenner line by the sounds of things, because given how good these ones look, I can only imagine how great some of the others might turn out (and it finally gives me a chance to get a lot more than just the Queen Face Hugger, Scorpion and regular Queen figures; in a round about sort of way ;D ).

Nostromo

Nostromo

Can someone put side by side a '79 Big Chap Alien, a '79 Big Chap v.2 Alien & a Kenner warrior Alien and take a picture for fun and to compare which looks most like the original? Maybe throw in an Alien from Isolation or another similar looking smoothe top Alien.

Kailem

Kailem

I had a look back and didn't see anything mentioned, but there were also a few "easter eggs" in the NECA display, namely green and blue facehuggers, and green and pink chestbursters.

The pink chestburster and green facehugger look to be from the same Konami Aliens arcade game as the pink Alien, but are the others from that as well? If not I'd imagine the blue facehugger will likely be included with the Gorilla and the green chestburster with the Mantis.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

The ice blue Alien is just amaze. They sure as heck better make it (for mass production)! :P

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 07, 2016, 01:04:34 PM
Can someone put side by side a '79 Big Chap Alien, a '79 Big Chap v.2 Alien & a Kenner warrior Alien and take a picture for fun and to compare which looks most like the original? Maybe throw in an Alien from Isolation or another similar looking smoothe top Alien.

Not exactly sure what you want.

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Aug 07, 2016, 05:52:30 PM
The ice blue Alien is just amaze. They sure as heck better make it (for mass production)! :P

Yeah.  That one does look awesome!  Would part with cash for that. 

-Windebieste.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I think what he's meaning is which of those figures looks the closest to the xeno in the first movie? Just guessing.

windebieste

windebieste

Sure, I figured he meant that.  I also figured he meant the quarter scale 2008 and 2015 NECA Aliens.  I'm uncertain what he means by "a Kenner warrior Alien".  That could mean the original 79er or maybe NECA's recent warrior Alien.  I'm guessing he means something in the 18-22 inch range, though.  1984 Tsukuda Jumbo figure, anyone..?  lol.

I do have the 2008 and 2015 18" NECA items.  They are both in packing boxes right now due to renovations.  I also have the original Kenner Alien.  I've always got one of those on hand.  I do not have the recent 18" NECA figure based the 'ALIENS' warriors just yet.  Budget restraints at the moment due to the aforementioned renovations preclude such niceties right now.

-Windebieste.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 08, 2016, 12:37:54 AM
Sure, I figured he meant that.  I also figured he meant the quarter scale 2008 and 2015 NECA Aliens.  I'm uncertain what he means by "a Kenner warrior Alien".  That could mean the original 79er or maybe NECA's recent warrior Alien.  I'm guessing he means something in the 18-22 inch range, though.  1984 Tsukuda Jumbo figure, anyone..?  lol.

I do have the 2008 and 2015 18" NECA items.  They are both in packing boxes right now due to renovations.  I also have the original Kenner Alien.  I've always got one of those on hand.  I do not have the recent 18" NECA figure based the 'ALIENS' warriors just yet.  Budget restraints at the moment due to the aforementioned renovations preclude such niceties right now.

-Windebieste.

Wrong. Look at this picture. Kenner Alien is the one in the bottom left corner and the 2' 79 Aliens are in the top left corner.

Quote from: XenoZipper on Aug 08, 2016, 12:05:47 AM
I think what he's meaning is which of those figures looks the closest to the xeno in the first movie? Just guessing.

Exactly.

windebieste

windebieste

You mean the Alien that comes in NECA's 2015 dual tribute to Kenner's 1994 'AvP' 2 pack?

Yeah.  I don't have that one.  Maybe I should pick up the NECA homage item sometime.  Maybe.  The Alien does have a nice black carapace in that set. 

I do have each of the original '94 Alien and Predator figures loose, no package.  They're OK for their day and at least these items didn't thematically follow the ludicrous zany Alien designs Kenner were producing at the time.  They were more screen accurate, for the era.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Didn't Kenner do a blue Alien like that in their Hive Wars series?

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Yep Kenner most certainly did. I think it was a blue variant of the Acid Alien
https://www.flickr.com/photos/splittyhead/8726482239

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Perhaps it's a tribute to that?

Kailem

Kailem

Apparently it's based on the Kenner Blue Warrior Kay-Bee chase variant figure:

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

NECA Kenner Alien vs Predator pack came in today. Some minor paint damage on the Predator, looks like some of it smeared on the inside of the blister pack. Not the first NECA figure I've bought where that happened, my Friday the 13th Part 6 figure had the same paint smear only a little bit worse. Alien also seems to be stretching part of the box forward a bit.

Those are very minor issues though, the figures look great. Overall I'm very happy with them.

Kailem

Kailem

Glow in the dark Predator vision Alien packaging:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed