AVP2: Survival of the novel?

Started by innerchaos, Jan 18, 2007, 04:59:17 AM

Author
AVP2: Survival of the novel? (Read 4,734 times)

innerchaos

innerchaos

Upon reading the novel of the first AVP, I had high expectations for the film (I know, big mistake). Did you read that book? Or will you be checking out the one for this film?Assuming it will exist, of course. I'm just wondering if anyone's had success with reading a book based on a movie before seeing it, excluding books that later became movies of course, and were still satisfied?

Corporal Hicks

Should this be in the novels section?  ???

Ahh...yes. I remember the AvP1 novel...I stayed up all night reading it and was a happy fanboy...until I saw the film. I'll definately be getting the AvP2 novelization but I doubt it'll have an early release this time.

ian36015

ian36015

How was the novel diffrent from the film? Guessing really diffrent

Corporal Hicks

Off the top of my head - character developement, the plot made sense and more Predators. But I haven't read it since last year so I might be forgetting something.

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

It had a diffrent opening than the film, it was something 1000 years early and some Aztec type hunters are hunting an animal in a jungle next to the Predator pyramid, but they start to get killed by aliens in the night, and something else happens involving a Predator, i cant remember  ???

ian36015

ian36015

Sound interesting and fun to watch. To bad it dident hit film.. Why do people do that?

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

Budget?

Corporal Hicks

It really came down to Marc Ceresani(?) being able to do more with the novel than could be done in the film. He was able to get into their heads, let us know what they thought. That's what made the characters in novel more enjoyable for me.

bullethead

bullethead

I agree with Corporal Hicks. All good novelizations expand on the movie's plot by explaining things the movie couldn't. Usually the novel is better than the movie, but that mostly depends on the author. With a movie novelization, there's going to push to stick closely to movie and some authors can't do it well. Other authors can do an astounding job.

Hopefully the novel will be based on the shooting script, not an early draft like AvP's seemed to be.

Corporal Hicks

Well I've already checked and Harper-Collins currently has no plans to do a novelization at the moment.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

in the novelisation did any of the Pred teens survive ?!?!? or the changes weren't too significant ?

bullethead

bullethead

None of the Pred teens survived. The novel added a second Predator being implanted with an embryo, an explanation why the ship couldn't get into the bay, another Pred that got shredded by lots of Aliens (I think), and a second Alpha Alien that was killed by Grid. Also, the Weyland team's guns were MP5s, not G36Cs and a Desert Eagle was mentioned some where.

SM

SM

The AvP novelisation was worse than the film.  A remarkable achievement.

bullethead

bullethead

It could have been worse, but it definitely could have been better. Then again, they (Fox) might not have given him lots of leeway with the novel.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

thanks bullethead for the info, I thought it would be actually worth buying if a Pred survived. Seriously Fox who does a Pred have to kill just to survive a movie ? ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed