Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 73,265 times)

Machiko Naguchi

Machiko Naguchi

Well the bloodburster is definitely just the beginning of the crazy shit in the Covenant expansion. I was able to finally go through all of the cards and here are some other noteworthy things:

--a hazard that puts the whole Barracks into cryosleep by wiping them and putting new ones in facedown
--a hazard that puts each player into stasis meaning they can't discuss strategy, coordinate or heal with one another
--an event that kills the top card of the barracks and then all copies everywhere (hands, decks, discard, etc.)
--several enemies that say if you draw a Close Call or Flesh Wound strike you have to draw again  :-\
--two final enemies that represent both aliens in the film; have to be killed on the lander and the terraforming bay
--after killing the final enemies you can decide if you want to finish or go ahead and try to kill David by using an added objective 3b card;
he has four different avatar cards that you randomly pick from and they all have seriously bad abilities
--similarly to the Queen Mother mode, you can play as David against the players and have your own hand and deck

On the good side there is the new Covenant keyword letting you grab another adjacent barracks card when buying one and there are several new avatar characters that seem to have decent abilities.

Haven't been able to play again since GenCon but it seems like a lot of new interesting ideas that will give varied and creative gameplay. And it definitely looks like it retains if not surpasses its previous difficulty. Overall I would definitely give it a thumbs up if you have liked the previous material for the game.

Corporal Hicks

Does it have a new matt?

Machiko Naguchi

Nope. You just use the Queen playmat I assume since everything is pretty much the same except for being David obviously. It would be sweet to have a new David themed playmat though. Since there is no playmat it comes in a small box, pretty much the same size as the VS Alien Battles box that was also put out by Upper Deck. I think it will still fit into the original box though, I will just have to take out some of the foam blocks. Though it will make the box even heavier and it was already pretty heavy; just have to be careful when hauling it around so as not to bust the box  ;)

Speaking of extra modes, has anyone played with Queen mode, hard mode, hidden agendas or extra soldiers? I find the game very difficult just as the base game and can't imagine using any of these other things. Playing as queen/david or using agendas as a traitor seems like a very fun idea but when you can barely beat the regular game they seem kind of impractical.

razeak

I've played the queen mode. It's a wash lol. Its fun, but I feel like you get ganked pretty had. My son is the only one that will play with me and he is hell bent on getting facehugged every game so the little traitor doesn't need an agenda card. He's like his own character. The xeno picks up his aggression towards me and mows me down once it gets the alien deck in hand haha. It's been that way for about 3 years. He makes Burke seem timid.

Machiko Naguchi

Haha that sounds pretty rough. Bad enough with those other modes not even considering him being his own evil character. That's hilarious that he basically already has his own agenda card lol

[cancerblack]

I really want to get this game, but it looks like a new copy of the base set would be ~$150 to buy and ship. Even on the second hand ones that are inside the country already, the price is higher than I feel is reasonable for second hand cards.

razeak

Yeah he's been stabbing me in the back for 3 years. He is 11 now. He gets pouty if I kill the facehugger lol.

Cancer, what country are you in?

The Old One

The Old One

New Zealand.

Corporal Hicks

The Old One

The Old One

Wonderful cover.
"Don't let the bed bugs bite.
I'll tuck in the children."

Machiko Naguchi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 16, 2019, 09:02:48 AM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3FJN64

Releases on 21st of October.

Yeah I saw that the other day. I figured I got it a little early at GenCon but I didn't realize it was going to be that much earlier. I haven't had a chance to play any more since the demo at the convention but if anybody has any questions or wants to see pics of any of the cards I can try to help out  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'd love to see more of the enemy Neomorphs.

Corporal Hicks

razeak

I vastly prefer the biomechanical look, but that is a pretty epic rendering of the fleshy version.

Machiko Naguchi

Here are some of the other neomorph enemies:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed