Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by RidgeTop, Jul 08, 2017, 10:12:18 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 39,792 times)

SizzyBubbles

Protozoid

Scott is putting extra forks in it because some people loudly argued that the beast wasn't cooked. It's like he's trying to motivate us and knows that Fox listens to the haters, not the lovers? He wants the haters to want what he wants? The prequelitis will continue until morale improves? I wish more people had been kind to Prometheus, a movie that avoided most of these problems completely.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: phroZac on Jul 08, 2017, 05:25:52 PM
This is a Lovecraftian horror about humanity's struggle to survive in the face of a terrible extraterrestrial threat, not Ripley's Family Values.

I agree because I always saw this franchise as humanity's struggle to survive in a cold and unforgiving universe that is so huge to the point where we're mere Higgs Bosons in terms of scale.

There are countless characters to introduce and have them face the Aliens. Ripley's story has been told repeatedly, it's done. I think it's time to introduce other heroes and heroines. Prometheus and Covenant had the right idea by ditching any connections to Ripley or her family.

bobcunk

I think it would be neat to have David conveyed to ash or even become ash but I don't see a need to enclose Ripley or her family.

irn

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in this. While we're at it let's do a Predator film set in WW2 where a Predator fights against Dutch's grandfather. Becuase, you know, needless link.

CainsSon

CainsSon

This is just a symptom of how much Scott cares too much about what fans want.

Honestly, Im concerned overall about the effects the backlash of this community is going to have on the next film. The backlash from PROMETHEUS, IMO is already what caused nearly all the problems with COVENANT, and now, I expect whatever we get next to try and jump over even more of the story we should be telling next.

People keep blaming Scott. Its not Scott. Scott keeps trying to accommodate fans. He should do a lot less of that. If I were him I would go back and make Prometheus 2 next and say FU to everyone.

I think if they try and bend anymore to fan reactions the next film, may end up being the last Alien film ever in theaters without the Predator involved again.

And Im not even that crazy about Prometheus. I just see how miserable everyone is and think they should stop listening to everyone moaning and complete the story he intended to tell. Because I guarantee when all is said and done, if he does/had done exactly what he WANTS to do, in 10 years people will end up appreciating the Prequels more and more.

Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 08, 2017, 06:07:10 PM
Scott is putting extra forks in it because some people loudly argued that the beast wasn't cooked. It's like he's trying to motivate us and knows that Fox listens to the haters, not the lovers? He wants the haters to want what he wants? The prequelitis will continue until morale improves? I wish more people had been kind to Prometheus, a movie that avoided most of these problems completely.

Yup.

People are just whining cause they aren't getting Blomkamp's film and because Covenant actually didn't ignore the Prometheus story enough. In truth, he ignored it too much. The movie that takes place between Prometheus and Covenant would have been more interesting than Covenant and would have made Covenant more interesting.

NickisSmart

No. Ripley shouldn't be related to anyone in the prequels. This isn't the story of her bloodline. This isn't about her heritage. She isn't the f**king Kwisatz Haderach.

She no longer needs the weirding module.

PierreVW

This was BEFORE.

FOX wanted 3,4,5 or 6 new ALIEN movies.

FOX wanted these new ALIENs to be the new STAR WARS.

The film kind of flopped.

I doubt Ridley Scott even cares about this failure.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 08, 2017, 09:38:55 PM
No. Ripley shouldn't be related to anyone in the prequels. This isn't the story of her bloodline. This isn't about her heritage. She isn't the f**king Kwisatz Haderach.

Are we looking at some type of scenario where David falls in love with Ripley's mother and wants her to become impregnated with his xeno's because he wants to make babies with her but cannot?

But wait! No. Actually given my frustration with this fan base, I hope that this is exactly what happens. I hope Scott makes it so that the Nostromo is re-routed because he wants to procreate with Ripley and is sexually frustrated.

Quote from: PierreVW on Jul 08, 2017, 09:44:46 PM
This was BEFORE.

FOX wanted 3,4,5 or 6 new ALIEN movies.

FOX wanted these new ALIENs to be the new STAR WARS.

The film kind of flopped.

I doubt Ridley Scott even cares about this failure.

You guys, the film DID NOT FLOP. It made 240 million dollars. That's nearly double their money. But what was SPENT doesn't matter. The COST/GROSS figure just means they will try and spend LESS next time. Most horror films dont make nearly as much as ALIEN COVENANT. Take THE CONJURING, which made 127million. It has 4-5 sequels in the works.

There will certainly be MORE Alien films.

This movie did not flop, it made exceptional $. They will just make the next film for less money.

And/or they will try to find some other angle to renew interest - like bringing in Ripley's mom because waaaaaah.

tleilaxu

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 08, 2017, 09:46:14 PM

Are we looking at some type of scenario where David falls in love with Ripley's mother and wants her to become impregnated with his xeno's because he wants to make babies with her but cannot?

But wait! No. Actually given my frustration with this fan base, I hope that this is exactly what happens. I hope Scott makes it so that the Nostromo is re-routed because he wants to procreate with Ripley and is sexually frustrated.
I don't get this. The inclusion of the xenomorph is overall slightly hamfisted, but the reason the movie failed has more to do with Ridley making the artistic movie he wanted to make instead of pleasing the action-craving fanbase. This also reflected in the marketing campaign that showed AC as an action-horror-sci-fi movie when in fact it's really an artistic movie about creation.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 08, 2017, 09:51:05 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 08, 2017, 09:46:14 PM

I don't get this. The inclusion of the xenomorph is overall slightly hamfisted, but the reason the movie failed has more to do with Ridley making the artistic movie he wanted to make instead of pleasing the action-craving fanbase. This also reflected in the marketing campaign that showed AC as an action-horror-sci-fi movie when in fact it's really an artistic movie about creation.
I think this is your opinion of what people want. I doubt many people walked into either Prometheus or Covenant expecting an action movie. Suspense? Yes! Perversity? Yes! And they delivered only a little of both. I guarantee if Scott could make the movie he wants you'd get more perversity and weirdness.
The movie failed because its a mess of all these things. It doesnt HAVE to be anything. Most Alien films are not Action films. That's got nothing to do with it. Each Alien film was very different. Prometheus was a smash hit and hey should not have listened to Alien fans who reacted badly. Prometheus was very well received. They shouldnt listen to fans now either. 

Ridley did NOT make the film he WANTED to make. He compromised because fans want waaah and thats the problem.

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

I don't count the excellent ALIEN: ISOLATION videogame as part of my own 'canon' where the movies are concerned...so I'm not bothered that it used Ripley's daughter as a replacement kick-ass character.  That was just an 'Expanded Universe'-type use of the character briefly shown in ALIENS:Special Edition at the end of the day.

However, the potential inclusion of Ripley's actual mother as a character in the PROMETHEUS storyline, only reminds me why I decided to look on Ridley's latest entries as being totally separate to his awesome original ALIEN movie in the first place! 

If Ripley's mom ends up fighting the Xenomorphs too, then Ridley will have truly steered his latest efforts into bad 'fan fiction' territory. :(

CainsSon

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Jul 08, 2017, 10:00:21 PM
I don't count the excellent ALIEN ISOLATION videogame as part of my own 'canon' where the movies are concerned...so I'm not bothered that it used Ripley's daughter as a replacement kick-ass character.  That was just an 'Expanded Universe' use of the character briefly shown in ALIENS:Special Edition at the end of the day.

However, the potential inclusion of Ripley's actual mother as a character in the PROMETHEUS storyline, only reminds me why I decided to look on Ridley's latest entries as being totally seperate to his awesome original ALIEN movie in the first place! 

If Ripley's mom ends up fighting the Xenomorphs too, then Ridley will have truly steered his latest efforts into bad 'fan fiction' territory.  :-

Speaking of Alien: Isolation, an adaptation of that game might be just the sort of thing Fox is looking for next. Something that revitalizes and renews interest.
I expect that to happen at some point.

newagescamartist

I really wish the new film is about the events between Prometheus and Covenant. With only 2 leads, Shaw and David, it could be something quite intimate. Ridley could go full 2001 avante garde with it. I think most fans would love something like that.

PierreVW

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/franchise-filmmaker-television-star-wars-hans-solo-lord-miller-1201845338/

Now, Movies are 1 episode of a TV series. Marvel created this new trend.

Star Wars is following that. DC too. Almost everyone is copying this. Movies are made by Commitee. Directors DOESN'T have power.

Ridley Scott is 1 of the very few directors who still have some freedom and some power. This kind of A-List Directors are dying.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed