DH Announces Alien: Rescue (Amanda Ripley’s Story Continues)

Started by Ultramorph, Feb 20, 2019, 04:32:00 PM

Author
DH Announces Alien: Rescue (Amanda Ripley’s Story Continues) (Read 43,940 times)

Kradan

Yep. Never thought I'd say it myself but WHAT A WASTED OPPORUNITY !

FenGiddel

SM, is there any sort of franchise "bible" that the stories use to stay within established limits, or to know where they are so as to break them when needed? Or is it just up to the author and the story line demands?

SM

There is a bible but it doesn't really impose limits.  It's a massive document that details every story, the main characters, technology, ships, etc.

The writer produces a treatment then a draft.  Editors, me and who knows who else, read it, suggests changes.  Those changes get fed back to the licensee and author.  Sometimes the suggestions are adopted (eg. there was a line in Prototype about an egg closing and no seams were visible.  I said eggs always have visible seams, and I believe that line got tweaked) and sometimes they're not adopted (eg. earlier in this thread about the use of "Xenomorph").

Local Trouble

Do you ever notice flaws in the bible itself and suggest revisions?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 10, 2019, 12:06:41 AM

That is handled by Geppetto, an elderly, impoverished woodcarver.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 10, 2019, 12:06:41 AM

No.

Local Trouble

Have you ever voiced your opinions regarding praetorians to them?

FenGiddel

Quote from: SM on Nov 09, 2019, 11:44:03 PM
There is a bible but it doesn't really impose limits.  It's a massive document that details every story, the main characters, technology, ships, etc.

Seems like there's an intent to keep things somewhat open-ended, what with more original characters that can have their arcs that won't complicate the film characters. Avoid the whole Star Trek universe conundrum of writing oneself into a corner until a reboot was necessary just to have a little creative breathing room.

Quote from: SM on Nov 09, 2019, 11:44:03 PM
The writer produces a treatment then a draft.  Editors, me and who knows who else, read it, suggests changes.  Those changes get fed back to the licensee and author.  Sometimes the suggestions are adopted (eg. there was a line in Prototype about an egg closing and no seams were visible.  I said eggs always have visible seams, and I believe that line got tweaked) and sometimes they're not adopted (eg. earlier in this thread about the use of "Xenomorph").
Oh, and these details were very informative. Thank you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed