Things You Liked About Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Jan 05, 2019, 02:49:37 PM

Author
Things You Liked About Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 26,220 times)

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: TC on Jan 06, 2019, 02:19:55 AM
I wasn't really talking about the quality of his acting. Just the sound of his voice.

The guy that did Hudson was also pretty good (not Bill Paxton). The other original-cast voice actors, I dunno, they just sounded.. old? Mark Rolston didn't sound like him at all.

TC

Listen closely to Drake's taunts a couple times. I was baffled until I really sat and listened, and said, "That's him alright."

Huggs

Where there is no passion, there is no love. Where there is no love, there is no desire. Where there is no desire, there is no decent Aliens game.

PsyKore

I liked Hudson's Pulse Rifle. It felt more accurate (none of the weapons in this game seem to fire straight for some reason) and felt good to use.

I also thought the ridge-head aliens looked and sounded good and were fun to shoot.

I liked bug hunt mode. I wasn't a fan of how bullet-spongey it became as it went along, but it was always fun to play with other people.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 05, 2019, 04:03:58 PM
I really liked the launch trailer. Like loved it.

https://youtu.be/i9KkTY8_gio
I can't believe I didn't think to mention that. Hands down one of my favorite trailers for anything, period. Going deck-by-deck like that is just such a slick concept, and the 'Moon' soundtrack fits it perfectly for some reason.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 05, 2019, 08:02:15 PM
I agree with your first half. Disagree with your second half.

Didn't the Derelict featuring Prometheus hallways
and it's layout being completely f**ked bother you?
The egg chamber comes before the Space Jockey FFS.

Lots of impossible space in ACM.
Maybe I need to replay it and re-assess, it's been a while since I played it. As for "impossible space", ultimately I'm pretty okay with it. The Derelict in 'Alien' had impossible space - the chamber where Kane has his "close encounter" is so far down that it would be outside and beneath the ship. So either the "cargo hold" isn't part of the Derelict and it's actually docked to a pre-existing structure, the shape of the Derelict includes this weird protrusion on the underside that we couldn't see and was embedded into the ground, or the Derelict has impossible space.

If you want to get nit-picky, the APC in 'Aliens' is literally, genuinely bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. :P

TC

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 06, 2019, 09:06:20 AM
I liked bug hunt mode. I wasn't a fan of how bullet-spongey it became as it went along, but it was always fun to play with other people.

Oh yes, Bughunt! That was the one part of the game Sega could have iterated into a version 2.

I imagined a more substantial gameplay, something like Rainbow 6 Siege.

Between each wave you'd have a time-limited opportunity to advance your team further through Hadley's Hope towards the landing pad, in order to rendezvous with a drop ship for extraction. So in that 'lull' between waves: your team advances, finds a suitable location to temporarily camp down, reloads, attends injuries, and fortifies its position (by welding doors shut, building barricades, setting up sentry guns etc.)

Maybe there'd be a bunch of civilian colonists (AI NPCs) you'd have to gather along the way.

TC

Still Collating...

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 06, 2019, 09:23:06 AM
Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 05, 2019, 04:03:58 PM
I really liked the launch trailer. Like loved it.

https://youtu.be/i9KkTY8_gio
I can't believe I didn't think to mention that. Hands down one of my favorite trailers for anything, period. Going deck-by-deck like that is just such a slick concept, and the 'Moon' soundtrack fits it perfectly for some reason.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 05, 2019, 08:02:15 PM
I agree with your first half. Disagree with your second half.

Didn't the Derelict featuring Prometheus hallways
and it's layout being completely f**ked bother you?
The egg chamber comes before the Space Jockey FFS.

Lots of impossible space in ACM.
Maybe I need to replay it and re-assess, it's been a while since I played it. As for "impossible space", ultimately I'm pretty okay with it. The Derelict in 'Alien' had impossible space - the chamber where Kane has his "close encounter" is so far down that it would be outside and beneath the ship. So either the "cargo hold" isn't part of the Derelict and it's actually docked to a pre-existing structure, the shape of the Derelict includes this weird protrusion on the underside that we couldn't see and was embedded into the ground, or the Derelict has impossible space.

If you want to get nit-picky, the APC in 'Aliens' is literally, genuinely bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. :P

Seems a lot of Time Lord technology was used in the making of these movies...  ;D

Samhain13

I like to shoot aliens, so there it is.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jan 06, 2019, 06:45:31 PM

That's the spirit!

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jan 06, 2019, 06:45:31 PM
Frankly I can't argue with that logic. If the Alien shooting mechanics are fun, I'm there.

Local Trouble

Wouldn't you have to buy it anyway?

PsyKore

Quote from: TC on Jan 06, 2019, 12:11:18 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 06, 2019, 09:06:20 AM

Oh yes, Bughunt! That was the one part of the game Sega could have iterated into a version 2.

I imagined a more substantial gameplay, something like Rainbow 6 Siege.

Between each wave you'd have a time-limited opportunity to advance your team further through Hadley's Hope towards the landing pad, in order to rendezvous with a drop ship for extraction. So in that 'lull' between waves: your team advances, finds a suitable location to temporarily camp down, reloads, attends injuries, and fortifies its position (by welding doors shut, building barricades, setting up sentry guns etc.)

Maybe there'd be a bunch of civilian colonists (AI NPCs) you'd have to gather along the way.

TC

Yeah, that could've been great. I like to think of the possibilities that they could've done too. It's a real missed opportunity. Honestly, this game, right from the beginning, should have been a co-op squad shooter. There was a time when we thought that was what this game was going to be, but...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

And I think we still need a proper one. I do agree on Bug Hunt, though. Skirmish modes are always fun and I loved them in AvP Classic and 2010. I think Bug Hunt upped them a bit more with opening the levels ups and being able to move around better. Thought the cash progression took a bit too long, though.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 05, 2019, 03:41:59 PM
I liked the weapon designs, they felt like logical extensions of the USCM arsenal (and the WY mercenary arsenal was neat). I liked that the weapons had actual uses for different situations, it wasn't just "the pulse rifle is the best gun in the game, use it until you run out of ammo and then use something else until you find pulse rifle ammo again" like it is in the vast majority of Aliens/AvP FPS games.

I also liked the look of the levels and their design, they felt like logical extensions of the Sulaco and other places we hadn't seen. I especially liked exploring the Derelict, I thought that was executed really well.

I agree on both counts. Yes, they Prometheused up the Derelict a bit but I wasn't too fussed. I didn't think it looked as stoney as Prometheus. I will always love whatever little exploration of Jockey facilities we get in the games. I hope to see something more extensive in the future.

I do think the Sulaco felt really authentic too. That felt right in place with the films. Weaponry-wise, I wish we'd have got some more depth to the customisation but I liked what we got.

The Old One

The Old One

It's not just Prometheus'd up- the layout is wrong.

Thank God and Al Hope for putting a respectful and correct version
in video gaming with Alien Isolation.

Hemi

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 07, 2019, 02:51:34 PM
It's not just Prometheus'd up- the layout is wrong.

Thank God and Al Hope for putting a respectful and correct version
in video gaming with Alien Isolation.

They did do a pretty good job with the Bug Hunt map of Hadley's Hope though.

BUUUtttt...that wasn't GearBox either lol. Some other company did those hahaha. Brilliant

not

Local Trouble

Do all these things you guys liked translate into forgiveness for Randy?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed