Just re-watched AvP 2004.....

Started by Scott Conover, Sep 29, 2018, 05:01:22 PM

Author
Just re-watched AvP 2004..... (Read 32,776 times)

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Just to give you an idea about the difference in quality between AVP and Avpr: AVP has a scene where Sebastian asks lex about the whale bones at the station, she tells him that this station was abandoned in 1904 and then proceeds to fire a flare over the cliff. We see the water tower and icy water surface. In one short scene we learn about what happened at the whaling station and we get a nice bit of foreshadowing to the final battle with the queen. I especially love the inclusion of the whale bones since they're the only reason lex didn't get killed by the queen in 5 seconds.

AVPR didn't have any semblance of clever writing. It's just a bunch of random shit happening for 90 minutes.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Naginata on Oct 02, 2018, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2018, 12:41:40 AM
Seems little contradictory.  How is egg-barfing not 'ideas'?

Because it's stupid. I guess I should have specified "good ideas" (shape shifting pyramid, 'Grid' alien, Predator choke wire, etc.) Setting it in Antarctica, for example - Setting it in the present day is still stupid, but by going for the Lovecraft homage, they at least gestured towards Alien's pop culture lineage. The egg-barfing is just 'dude, what if the Predalien's face was the facehugger...?'

I'd very much argue setting it on present day earth, in a shape-shifting pyramid in Antarctica is just as silly as egg-barfing.

Russ

Russ

I dunno - I thought that was as good an idea as you could have given the scenario. I think it's more about tone to be honest. Maybe the audience had just run out of "I'll give it a chance" by the time we got to pregnant ladies and egg-barfing.

At least the whole pyramid thing fitted with the aesthetic and had even been set-up in the flash-back.

But no one ever comes away from a conversation about these movies thinking "I'm really glad they weren't set in the future with space marines." :D :D

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

It has decent production values and all that, it's admirable for trying to be a big event movie, it's just that the execution is incredibly schlocky.

SM

SM

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 05, 2018, 07:26:25 AM
Quote from: Naginata on Oct 02, 2018, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2018, 12:41:40 AM
Seems little contradictory.  How is egg-barfing not 'ideas'?

Because it's stupid. I guess I should have specified "good ideas" (shape shifting pyramid, 'Grid' alien, Predator choke wire, etc.) Setting it in Antarctica, for example - Setting it in the present day is still stupid, but by going for the Lovecraft homage, they at least gestured towards Alien's pop culture lineage. The egg-barfing is just 'dude, what if the Predalien's face was the facehugger...?'

I'd very much argue setting it on present day earth, in a shape-shifting pyramid in Antarctica is just as silly as egg-barfing.

I'd very much argue that they're not even close.

Naginata

Naginata

^ An idea is an idea.

SM

SM

That it is.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 30, 2018, 09:17:16 PM
As for being respectful goes, I think this is the only movie where the Director didn't embellish the Aliens with additional life cycle features.  It's just the core egg, facehugger, chestburster and adult Alien stages. There's a Queen (added by Cameron) and we see the birth of the Predalien (Non-human hybridisation added by Fincher) at the end.  Anderson only included life cycle features that were extant at the time - he didn't add to it himself.

I do agree.  Except for the ramping up of the life-cycle's speed, I would concur that AvP was very respectful to the Alien species.

However, AvP respectful to the Predators? Not so much. The terrible changes made to the Yautja facially, to the bulky armor, to the ridiculously long guantlet blades, to the criminal change of the Predator ship interior from the steamy, ancient and tribal, wonderful design established in "Predator 2" to a cold steel, more human technological design in "AVP".  Nope.

At least the Strause brothers tried to bring back the old designs where they could in the sequel, when developing the Predator homeworld etc. "AVPR" was much more respectful to the Predators than "AVP".

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 24, 2018, 09:08:52 PM
However, AvP respectful to the Predators? Not so much. The terrible changes made to the Yautja facially, to the bulky armor, to the ridiculously long guantlet blades,

I continue to stand by my opinion that when it's just Ian in the suit, the AvP's more armoured appearance does look pretty damn sweet. It's just those group shots with the shorter guys that don't look good.

Quoteto the criminal change of the Predator ship interior from the steamy, ancient and tribal, wonderful design established in "Predator 2" to a cold steel, more human technological design in "AVP".  Nope.

It's a damn shame we haven't seen a return to this aesthetic.  :'( They'll always be Predator 2 and Primal Hunt, though.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 24, 2018, 10:29:15 PM
I continue to stand by my opinion that when it's just Ian in the suit, the AvP's more armoured appearance does look pretty damn sweet. It's just those group shots with the shorter guys that don't look good.

Ian did always wear it well. Only Kevin did it better, in my opinion!

PsyKore

PsyKore

I'm curious how each species was given respect. To me, it feels like one of those godawful comic books but with more cumbersome Predators. The Aliens in this have their moments but are also shown to be completely daft.

For me, this movie's highlight is the great artistic camera work and neat little touches which you can tell come from someone who has a passion for it. Look at the shots of Antarctica as they sail through the ice, the Predator ship that silently flies overhead of an unsuspecting person, the hibernating Queen as she rises up on her hoist into the pagan-looking altar. There's many more examples, but all of this sort of stuff is fantastic. It's just a damn shame the characters and the creatures are terrible.

BishopShouldGo

The predator ship silently flying overhead is one of my favorite aspects too.

The Old One

The Old One

Totally agreed PsyKore but I also love the over-extended wristblades.
Delicious overkill.

Corporal Hicks

I always dug the double extend. Flick, shtick, flick again, shtick. More blade than you can throw a stick at.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes! So ridiculous, I love it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed