Joss Whedon is not good

Started by EJA, Jan 03, 2022, 01:42:50 PM

Author
Joss Whedon is not good (Read 2,207 times)

EJA

EJA

Seriously, I think the guy is an unpleasant hack. When the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer and  Alien Resurrection - both of which he wrote - were poorly received, he blamed the studio for distorting his stories. I've read the Dark Horse Comics adaptation of his original BtVS script, and it's virtually identical to what was on screen. I've also read his original A: R script; again, virtually identical to what was on screen. So he has no one to blame but himself.

He comes across as somewhat of a douche too. I reckon it's reflected in his scripts, particularly those he wrote for the Buffy TV show. Like he thinks he's above morality.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Not as overrated as today's Ridley Scott though. The man truly seem to think he is a god-like being.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

No love for Firefly?

I always thought the first Avengers movie looked cheap.  Something about the cinematography or lighting.  I'm sure SiL could articulate it better than I.  Age of Ultron looked a lot better though.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I think Whedon has good and bad elements. He's not great at taking criticism or seeing his own faults, but he *is* legitimately good at making stuff sometimes. Firefly is amazing, the Buffy TV series was very popular and well-received, the first Avengers movie is great. Even some of his weaker stuff has strong elements (the distinct characters in Alien Resurrection, Ultron in Age of Ultron). And then some of his stuff just isn't good (his contributions to Justice League by all accounts both on-set and on-screen, especially when compared to the Zack Snyder cut).

His complaints about Alien Resurrection aren't entirely out of line - the director they paired with his writing clearly didn't understand his writing well enough, or Whedon's writing wasn't suitable for Jeunet's directorial style, take your pick. I don't know if Jeunet was paired with the script after it was written or if Whedon knew who the director would be before he wrote the script. If it was the former, it's largely the studio's fault for not recognizing that Jeunet was a bad fit for Whedon's writing, and possibly Jeunet's fault for not understanding the material or if he could do it appropriately. If it was the latter, it's also the studio's fault for hiring a writer not suited to Jeunet's style, but also Whedon's fault for not recognizing that he shouldn't be writing for the project if there's no way his "vision" could be appropriately realized. Or maybe the reality is somewhere in the middle, the point is there's a lot of blame to go around and Whedon isn't totally wrong or totally at fault.

I'm not saying he's not a douche sometimes (he is), but Resurrection is a spectacular example of a solid enough script paired with a wildly inappropriate (but still good!) director.

SiL

SiL

Alien Resurrection is all the right people on the wrong project.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I have to say the first Avengers movie has it's moments, but it was really lacking in the directing department. In no way shape or form Whedon is a good director. Not a horrible one, but just not a good one.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Never liked Buffy or Angel. Garbage both.

EJA

EJA

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 04, 2022, 02:59:06 PM
Never liked Buffy or Angel. Garbage both.

I used to love them. Then I woke up. Kudos to you, sir ;)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 04, 2022, 02:22:49 PM
I have to say the first Avengers movie has it's moments, but it was really lacking in the directing department. In no way shape or form Whedon is a good director. Not a horrible one, but just not a good one.
I disagree, I rewatched the first Avengers movie recently and liked it a lot. The long take that jumps between each Avenger doing stuff is great.

Kradan

Kradan

That's a nice shot

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 09, 2022, 06:02:37 PM
I disagree, I rewatched the first Avengers movie recently and liked it a lot. The long take that jumps between each Avenger doing stuff is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69kGmPeHw0

I was thinking of that scene when I said it had it's moments actually  :laugh:

Oh and also Thor's arrival.

EJA

EJA

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 10, 2022, 11:33:05 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 09, 2022, 06:02:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69kGmPeHw0

I was thinking of that scene when I said it had it's moments actually  :laugh:

Oh and also Thor's arrival.

One of my favourite parts too.

Getting back to the topic, Joss was really nasty to Charisma Carpenter.

SiL

SiL

And Gal Gadot, and a bunch of other actresses.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I'm a Buffy fan, but now I don't know if I'm going to want to resume the series because of him. >:(

EJA

EJA

Quote from: SiL on Jan 11, 2022, 09:32:04 PM
And Gal Gadot, and a bunch of other actresses.

And what makes it worse is that he touted himself as being so much for female empowerment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed