The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 188,478 times)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Just started At The Mountains of Madness.

Wonderful.

ah lovecraft, i've read most of his works, i actually have some graphic novel adaptations on order, hope they are good.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I think they did one of Dunwich. I really want to check that one out. Hell, I want to check any of them out.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I should hopefully be getting one of his books soon :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Just read The Shadow over Innsmouth, yesterday.
Great story. Loved it from the first to the last chapter. The twist at the end was phenomenal.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Innsmouth is one of my all time favorites.

I realized there is a dead security guard of some importance in Dead Space 2 named Howard Phillips. It made me giggle.  :D

Valaquen

Valaquen

Poe really focuses on claustrophobia, being buried behind walls and such. Lovecraft has this real apocalyptic, yet unconcerned-with-humanity tone. Both are evident in Alien. I really love both. I have the Necronomicon anthology of Lovecraft's works.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I know, right? Ever since I've read At the Mountains of Madness (the one that opened me the door to Lovecraft), every time I see the Nostromo Crew entering the Derelict I can't help myself but associate it to the Lovecraft mythos. Then proceed to sigh in wonder.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 06, 2011, 07:46:46 PM
I know, right? Ever since I've read At the Mountains of Madness (the one that opened me the door to Lovecraft), every time I see the Nostromo Crew entering the Derelict I can't help myself but associate it to the Lovecraft mythos. Then proceed to sigh in wonder.
Word-for-word how I feel. Way to steal my voice.

Spoiler
[close]

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 06, 2011, 07:46:46 PM
Well, you know:

'Alien went to where the Old Ones lived, to their very world of origin ... That baneful little storm-lashed planetoid halfway across the galaxy was a fragment of the Old Ones' home world, and the Alien a blood relative of Yog-Sothoth.'
Dan O'Bannon, Something Perfectly Disgusting.

;D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Revelation.
Damn, why had he to pass away? :-\ Bar some 'ehh's here 'n here, guy was pulling out fantastic ideas all the time.
At this point, I wonder if we can make an 'expanded universe' kind of thing and make a film in the Alien saga that actually proceeds with the Jockeys being sentient races that have some kind of ancestral connection with humanity, kind of like the Old Ones... and the Aliens are the equivalent of the Shoggoths, creatures that overwhelmed their masters, that crafted them to work for them.... My God! If that was actually printed on a film, it would be all kinds of.... wah, immense.

Also, on a side note, this is my vision of a Deep one:
Spoiler

More
[close]

Ishallsmitethee

Ishallsmitethee

I've been reading Lovecraft lately, he's great. Just finished reading The Call of Cthulhu and The Dunwich Horror which are both in a book of his short stories that I have. I'm either gonna read The Shadow Over Innsmouth next or read At The Mountains of Madness which I just picked up at the bookstore.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 06, 2011, 07:59:34 PM
Revelation.
Damn, why had he to pass away? :-\ Bar some 'ehh's here 'n here, guy was pulling out fantastic ideas all the time.
At this point, I wonder if we can make an 'expanded universe' kind of thing and make a film in the Alien saga that actually proceeds with the Jockeys being sentient races that have some kind of ancestral connection with humanity, kind of like the Old Ones... and the Aliens are the equivalent of the Shoggoths, creatures that overwhelmed their masters, that crafted them to work for them.... My God! If that was actually printed on a film, it would be all kinds of.... wah, immense.

Also, on a side note, this is my vision of a Deep one:
Spoiler

More
[close]
Exemplary work, my dear boy.

Ishallsmitethee

Ishallsmitethee

Thought this would be appropriate.

i just read this, which was really good, or as good as a direct adaptation can be, although i do with the art was a bit more exciting.

and am currently reading this

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed