Doom (2016) (Doom 4)

Started by Ratchetcomand, May 09, 2008, 12:07:44 PM

Author
Doom (2016) (Doom 4) (Read 89,363 times)

fluxcap

fluxcap

First impressions are decent. It's essentially an old school shooter dressed up with what were at the time amazing graphics. I hope Doom 4 really does something different.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: fluxcap on May 26, 2008, 04:49:33 PM
First impressions are decent. It's essentially an old school shooter dressed up with what were at the time amazing graphics. I hope Doom 4 really does something different.

So do I. Only problem is, how much further can this franchise go. I mean, it isn't like Half-Life where there's a mysterious character (aka the G-Man) who seems to be setting up a new story every time.

fluxcap

fluxcap

Innovation in an fps can be a hard thing, innovation sometimes ends up being a gimmick, sometimes awesome gimmicks like in Crysis. I'll leave up such innovations to the game designers, its their job ;)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: fluxcap on May 26, 2008, 06:05:49 PM
Innovation in an fps can be a hard thing, innovation sometimes ends up being a gimmick, sometimes awesome gimmicks like in Crysis. I'll leave up such innovations to the game designers, its their job ;)

But they can still can be done; Crysis is a case in point. I agree it's difficult but this is id, come on.

severen76

severen76

What gimmicks did Cyrsis have?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I didn't mean gimmicks, I was referring to gameplay.

severen76

severen76

Well Fluxcap mentioned about the gimmicks. I was wondering what they were. :)

fluxcap

fluxcap

The suits abilities in Crysis are essentially cheat codes and the developers made them into gameplay elements. I would classify that as a gimmick, but a damn good one. I read developer interviews where the suit wasn't intended as an essential part of the gameplay at all until the very end. Later the in the development cycle they thought it would be cool to have the entire game revolve around that. I'm not knocking Crysis at all btw, besides that I would have to acquire a supercomputer from the future to run the damn thing at an acceptable level.

severen76

severen76

Ok. thanks I didn't really know anything about it, apart from it looks nice.

Quote from: fluxcap on May 26, 2008, 09:33:18 PM
I would have to acquire a supercomputer from the future to run the damn thing at an acceptable level.

And that's the reason why I will probably never play it. :(

fluxcap

fluxcap

Quote from: severen76 on May 26, 2008, 09:37:03 PM
Nah you will, if your a casual PC gamer, the stock graphics cards in the machines will catch up to the specs of Crysis. Just a matter of time, it really comes down to you still caring about playing the game three or four years down the line.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: severen76 on May 26, 2008, 09:37:03 PM
Ok. thanks I didn't really know anything about it, apart from it looks nice.

Quote from: fluxcap on May 26, 2008, 09:33:18 PM
I would have to acquire a supercomputer from the future to run the damn thing at an acceptable level.

This so annoying, you don't need a heavy PC to play Crysis; you really don't. If you want to run at a low resolution (1280x1024 or 1024x768), a midrange system will do just fine. Now if you want to run the game at max settings at a supremely high resolution (1920x1200 or 2560x1600) yes, you do need a powerful PC.

fluxcap

fluxcap

For me I would rather experience that game in all its glory. My pc can run the game at the lowest settings but it just looks weak. Phantom has a decent rig and I believe he runs the game at max settings, he infrequently posts screencaps of him playing. Game looks mighty nice.

agentdc7

agentdc7

I wanna see the Arachnotron/ Spider Mastermind.  I remember the concept art looked amazing and scary:

And I also hope they bring it outdoors too.

I loved Doom 3, but wished there where larger open environments instead of being confined most of the time.
I can't wait.

Private Hudson

Private Hudson

Yeah, the masterminds were really cool, but if they are in Doom 4 I pray that they're not as hard as the Cyberdemon in Doom 3.

agentdc7

agentdc7

Quote from: Private Hudson on Jun 20, 2008, 06:42:45 PM
Yeah, the masterminds were really cool, but if they are in Doom 4 I pray that they're not as hard as the Cyberdemon in Doom 3.

I didn't think the Cyberdemon was that hard.  It's rockets would always miss me.  Of course, 1/2 the people playing didn't know about the soulcube.

I would love to see a cool Mastermind battle where he chases you around different areas and you can try to sneak up on it like in a city setting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed