ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 148,070 times)

Jay Thomas

Hmm good point. Gives me a lot to think about.

We know from Alien that WY knew there was life on LV-426, so waiting ~50 years and choosing to colonize is certainly a weird approach.

But i'm under the impression that WY sent Newt's dad to explore the derelict once they found Ripley, making me think they knew about the derelict and were just waiting for the right time to breed aliens. I'm trying to recall events from Newt's tale to support my ideas. I'll have to revisit that comic.

I just have a hard time believing WY forgot about the Nostromo incident and decided to colonize randomly.

Cvalda

Cvalda

The Company didn't send Newt's family, Burke did, and only after hearing Ripley's testimony.

Quote from: thewoozy on Jun 02, 2013, 01:54:06 AM
I just have a hard time believing WY forgot about the Nostromo incident and decided to colonize randomly.
It's called a plot hole.

Mike’s Monsters

They don't have permission to use that artwork, it is most likely going to change, if not, legal actions will be taken.

Jay Thomas

Burke works for WY so yeah WY did send Newt's father but i'll drop it now because I don't appreciate your condescending tone when I'm just genuinely interested in a supposed plot hole that i've never been aware of.

Cvalda

Quote from: Mikey on Jun 02, 2013, 02:07:35 AM
They don't have permission to use that artwork, it is most likely going to change, if not, legal actions will be taken.
Is that your artwork?

SM

SM

Burke was working alone in Aliens; so it's no great shakes to believe someone was doing the same when they sent the Nostromo to LV-426 57 years earlier.  So the Company didn't know; but one of their employees did.  Hole = plugged.

Cvalda

Doesn't plug anything. Still doesn't explain how they missed the huge obviously alien spaceship within driving distance of the colony.

Sexy Poot

I can think of a few things that could use some plugging...

predxeno

Quote from: thewoozy on Jun 02, 2013, 12:53:56 AM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jun 01, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
From other EU stories, we know that Aliens can survive in the vacuum of space (including the Queen, after she gets dumped out of the Sulaco).

Was the queen from Aliens featured in an EU Story? I can't remember. Do you remember which one?

I don't think so; I read all the Aliens Omnibuses and novels.

Nightmare Asylum

Interesting-ish premise, I guess.

I can't say I'll definitely be reading it, but I'm a bit curious.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2013, 02:59:03 AM
Doesn't plug anything.
Plugs why they didn't go back straight away. That's something.

QuoteStill doesn't explain how they missed the huge obviously alien spaceship within driving distance of the colony.
They hadn't driven to that place yet.

Film never sets up how the planet was mapped out or how frequently colonists traveled out, or how far they went if they did. It also never establishes how long the air's been breathable and conducive to mum and pop teams driving around on their own. It's not much of a plot hole when there's nothing in the film saying "Man, this should've been really obvious!"

It's a weird, jutting shape on a planet of weird, jutting shapes. Eh.

Cvalda

So I guess the Company didn't do any geographical studies of the planet or any satellite (or Prometheus mapping balls) mapping, and just randomly picked a spot and said "we'll build here!" without even surveying the surrounding areas, either. Makes sense.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 02, 2013, 05:28:53 AM

That just happens to have obviously artificial structures incongruous with the surrounding terrain that would be readily noticeable on any satellite mapping. But whatevs.

Byohzrd

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2013, 05:43:12 AM
So I guess the Company didn't do any geographical studies of the planet or any satellite (or Prometheus mapping balls) mapping, and just randomly picked a spot and said "we'll build here!" without even surveying the surrounding areas, either. Makes sense.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 02, 2013, 05:28:53 AM

That just happens to have obviously artificial structures incongruous with the surrounding terrain that would be readily noticeable on any satellite mapping. But whatevs.

I don't really recall the derelict being on such flat terrain. ever. more like a rocky plateu-y outcroppy kind of region, which would insanely hard to find cause the whole planets terrain was organic shaped.

As for the company not knowing about the derelict, its really easy to explain, its not like the WHOLE company was hellbent on finding the xeno, the bio weapons division was. In large corporations like Wey-yu, i'm sure it would be quite easy for some higher up in one division to funnel a bit of extra funding into a secret project, then have that project never profit and easily get lost in company records.

Cvalda

Quote from: Byohzrd on Jun 02, 2013, 05:55:21 AM
I don't really recall the derelict being on such flat terrain. ever. more like a rocky plateu-y outcroppy kind of region, which would insanely hard to find cause the whole planets terrain was organic shaped.
Not for a satellite looking straight down at it from above. You wouldn't go in and survey a new planet on foot.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2013, 02:59:03 AM
Doesn't plug anything. Still doesn't explain how they missed the huge obviously alien spaceship within driving distance of the colony.
It's on the other side of a mountain range, it's not exactly in a convenient location. They only even thought to look where it was located because Burke gave them a call and said "go here, see what you find".

Anyway, preordered this book without hesitation. I think it's neat that it follows the 'Alien' license specifically. I'm curious if/how it'll mesh with Aliens: Apocalypse and if it'll cover some of the same ground, and if it'll include any Prometheus-related content.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed