Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 159,137 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Certain elements are, and others might not be, it's "fuzzy" and I choose what details to accept for any number of ever-changing, ill-defined reasons.

Personal canon/headcanon doesn't need to be internally consistent, it's what *you* believe and makes you happy. :)

Internal consistency is something you'd expect from a broader "official canon" that you're expecting everyone to follow - and is a big reason of why it's a meaningless non-concept, and the AR novelization is a good example of why.

Even SM conceded that the novelizations should get cherry-picked as to what elements are "true" based on one's personal thresholds for "contradictions" (the very definition of headcanon) and he cites the AR novelization's crater size as clear proof that the Derelict is gone, going to far as to compare its number to the Nebraska example Bishop gives in 'Aliens'. However that crater size doesn't actually line up with the 40 megaton number that Bishop actually says.
Not to mention that he says novelizations shouldn't be taken as "gospel" (because if you do, then the Space Jockey doesn't exist :P ) but in the same breath he chooses to take the AR novelization as gospel.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 27, 2019, 06:44:06 AM
Certain elements are, and others might not be, it's "fuzzy" and I choose what details to accept for any number of ever-changing, ill-defined reasons.

Personal canon/headcanon doesn't need to be internally consistent, it's what *you* believe and makes you happy. :)

Internal consistency is something you'd expect from a broader "official canon" that you're expecting everyone to follow - and is a big reason of why it's a meaningless non-concept, and the AR novelization is a good example of why.

Even SM conceded that the novelizations should get cherry-picked as to what elements are "true" based on one's personal thresholds for "contradictions" (the very definition of headcanon) and he cites the AR novelization's crater size as clear proof that the Derelict is gone, going to far as to compare its number to the Nebraska example Bishop gives in 'Aliens'. However that crater size doesn't actually line up with the 40 megaton number that Bishop actually says.
Not to mention that he says novelizations shouldn't be taken as "gospel" (because if you do, then the Space Jockey doesn't exist :P ) but in the same breath he chooses to take the AR novelization as gospel.

This all sounds like the opening salvo in a new canon war.

Xenomrph

Nah, believe what makes you happy and don't be bothered if no one else does, but also don't let others tell you what to believe. :)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 28, 2019, 01:13:33 AM
Nah, believe what makes you happy and don't be bothered if no one else does, but also don't let others tell you what to believe. :)

But that sounds like chaos!

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2019, 01:32:07 AM

But that sounds like chaos!
EMBRACE THE RUINOUS POWERS

The Old One

Or it's freedom.

[cancerblack]

Agreed.

Local Trouble

This is blasphemy!  This is madness!  :o

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2019, 11:11:30 PM
This is blasphemy!  This is madness!  :o
Madness?

THIS. IS. CANON.

The Old One

Hey, so I got to one of the last levels in Monolith's AVP, and it says that a Soldier and a Scout can turn into a Praetorian after 6 years, but the majority perish in the process. Apart from the juvenile form of the adult Queen being a Praetorian briefly, I think this is acceptable.

Kailem

Given how deep it sounds like the lore rabbit hole goes with this, are there any mentions of places like Vega 4/New Shanghai, San Drad, Ryushi, Bunda or any other locations related to the AVP side of the Alien EU?

The Old One

Apologies, but I've read it three times through now, nothing of the sort unless I missed it.

Corporal Hicks

I believe they had to be kept out due to licensing. I'm sure I suggested some of those to Drew and those were the reasons they didn't make it in.

SM

Quote from: Kailem on Jan 09, 2020, 08:12:50 AM
Given how deep it sounds like the lore rabbit hole goes with this, are there any mentions of places like Vega 4/New Shanghai, San Drad, Ryushi, Bunda or any other locations related to the AVP side of the Alien EU?

No.  The license was Alien/ Prometheus only and the bible that was used as one of the sources didn't contain any AvP locations.

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed