Our Alien 5

Started by thanatos86, Jun 24, 2015, 10:52:43 PM

Author
Our Alien 5 (Read 15,793 times)

monkeylove

monkeylove

Quote from: NickisSmart on Sep 02, 2015, 04:05:48 PM
I'm not questioning how the sequels played out, ultimately. You're not wrong about that. But why would the sequels be forced to continue progressing until everything is shown and nothing is mysterious?

Because that's what sequels do: they continue the story. Also, the "mystery" in the second movie involved the origin of the eggs, but I don't think that leads to horror.

Quote from: Dan Grant on Sep 04, 2015, 02:22:43 AM
If anything they should raise more questions to continue with the Alien tradition.  ;)

This was shown in the movies: the appearance of the alien, the origin of the eggs, mutation, etc. However, they led to different genres: horror, action, detective fiction, etc.

Quote from: oduodu on Sep 04, 2015, 04:08:18 PM

Corporal hicks

I love the terms you used: ancient horror and move back in towards that Lovecraftian story vibe .

Ridley gave orders to de giger prometheus.

But those 3 pieces of text is exactly what I expected to find in a alien prequel.

But if you make it human don't you lose all of that?

That's my gripe with prometheus.

I love the movie but it destroyed all three things you mentioned. Was ridley being spiteful ??

The black goo counts as some kind ancient horror. Right ??

The engineers failed at lovecraftian vibe , Right ??

Ridley de gigerised the film ?? Right ??

Sorry for being a regular parrot.

But honest to God that those terms you used sums exactly what was in my mind for what the sequel should have been (never been able to word it like that) but then post cameron it became a prequel.

No other way to do it.

So who was to blame for de gigerising ??
Scott ?? Right ??

Who was to blame for humanising the whole thing ??
Spaihts ?? Right??

Who was to blame for not going the Lovecraftian way. No idea.

It's probably not "ancient horror" because there were no references in the first movie about the creatures appearing on Earth and dominating it in the past. That means the only thing Lovecraftian about the film was the presence of an unseen and malevolent creature, and one in a neutral universe, but the other movies would not have negated it because the alien appears in full at the end of the movie. That's why part of the beginning of the second involves explaining what happened in the first film and the characteristics of the creature.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 06, 2015, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Sep 05, 2015, 09:25:10 PM
The Scooby Doo Monsters are less scary once Velma unmasks them.

That is what I love about the Engineers. It's like we've unmasked some ghoulish adversary but we haven't stopped them (assuming they're still alive) or understand why they're doing what they're doing. The underlining problem for the most part is if we'll ever find out.

Luckily the sequel is coming. :laugh:

Yeah. That's a nice way to put it. Underneath the monster mask... is an actual monster, and it looks kind of like us. : P

Vermillion

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Sequels can progress the story without eliminating the mystery. I wish they'd done that with the Reapers in Mass Effect.

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: NickisSmart on Sep 06, 2015, 03:07:46 PM
Sequels can progress the story without eliminating the mystery. I wish they'd done that with the Reapers in Mass Effect.

The Mass Effect series is a perfect example of how revealing too much can go completely sideways.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: NickisSmart on Sep 06, 2015, 12:50:09 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 06, 2015, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Sep 05, 2015, 09:25:10 PM
The Scooby Doo Monsters are less scary once Velma unmasks them.

That is what I love about the Engineers. It's like we've unmasked some ghoulish adversary but we haven't stopped them (assuming they're still alive) or understand why they're doing what they're doing. The underlining problem for the most part is if we'll ever find out.

Luckily the sequel is coming. :laugh:

Yeah. That's a nice way to put it. Underneath the monster mask... is an actual monster, and it looks kind of like us. : P

Exactly. But more importantly they created us which is the ironic blow.

It keeps us alone in this universe with the aliens being our most violent and disturbing adversary.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Dan Grant on Sep 06, 2015, 10:25:24 PM
The Mass Effect series is a perfect example of how revealing too much can go completely sideways.

The originally intended story conclusion would have made it so much better.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Dan Grant on Sep 06, 2015, 10:25:24 PM

But luckily this isn't Mass Effect. Right?

monkeylove

monkeylove

Quote from: NickisSmart on Sep 06, 2015, 03:07:46 PM

I think the ending of the first movie accomplished that by revealing the creature in full.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I think that the Prometheus movie probably had ambitions to being a "Quantum Scifi-Horror" movie, although exactly what a Quantum Scifi-Horror movie should be probably is yet to be defined and Prometheus still might not live up to it

Alien³

Alien³

Quantum Sci Fi-Horror  :D

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 08, 2015, 06:50:03 PM

Yes, probably a style of literature that will exist for five or six minutes somewhere in the future, and there will be endless journalists making endless blasé references to the potential possibiilties about it.

I suppose John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness might have been another movie heading in the direction of that genre

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Sep 08, 2015, 11:44:11 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 08, 2015, 06:50:03 PM

Yes, probably a style of literature that will exist for five or six minutes somewhere in the future, and there will be endless journalists making endless blasé references to the potential possibiilties about it.

I suppose John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness might have been another movie heading in the direction of that genre

What if the "Aliens" we see in the films are but a mere extension, or appendage, of a nonphysical, quantum-dimensional fractal being of 'superorganism' status that when reaching into the physical realm manifests as the titular and iconic xenomorph, a form of manifestational reflex of a being of such immense power representing itself as multiple copies intended to 'probe' into the physical realm of timespace to collect more 'relay nodes' from which to reflect and expand such an omnipotent force into the one realm it had yet to conquer... ours.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed