Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 10, 2018, 05:38:04 AM

Author
Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way (Read 59,298 times)

oduodu

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 10, 2018, 06:43:24 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 10, 2018, 07:26:47 AM
I'm wondering about the extent of the unseen or unknown material.

I doubt there would be much.

From an interview you conducted with CdL several years ago:

QuoteWith Alien for instance. There's precious few minutes of behind-the-scenes footage from Alien that was shot back in '78 and every time Fox comes to me and asks can we do something new, you know, when it was on the Quadrilogy and later on the Anthology. Can we do something new? I always think, wow, shame I don't have a time machine and I can't go back in time to 1978 and document the hell out of Alien. We've pretty much used all the available footage. I know there's more footage out there we don't have access to but we've pretty much everything we could.

Might be a new drawing or two and that O'Bannon Memory script.

Was that from a podcast or just an interview?

Corporal Hicks

oduodu

Darwinsgirl

This is such good news. I've been collecting magazine's with or other printed material with any mention about ALIEN for years. 1971 I'm wowed about this!  8)

Perfect-Organism

I guess this means I have to buy another copy of alien on blu-ray...

The Old One

4K 40th Anniversary Blu-ray.

Perfect-Organism

No less!  ...and a 4K TV to go with it..

krikke

According to Dark Horizons, this film will be screening at Sundance Film Fest in January, in the Midnight competition.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Ingwar

QuoteDirector Alexandre O. Philippe established himself as one of our foremost pop-culture documentarians with 2010's The People vs. George Lucas, 2014's Doc of the Dead, and 2017's 78/52 (the latter of which breaks down the famous shower scene from Psycho). Now Philippe has turned his attention to Ridley Scott's 1979 sci-fi/horror classic Alien with Memory: The Origins of Alien, which will premiere at the upcoming Sundance Film Festival.

"This is actually a very different film [from 78/52]," Philippe tells EW. "People who expect the 78/52 treatment applied to the chestburster [scene] are in for a real surprise. Memory is the origin story of Alien, but it really is a full-on mythological take on the film. It's an exploration of the power of cinema, the power of myths. It's a very unique look at the original Alien film.

"Obviously, Ridley Scott is a huge part of that," the Philippe continues, "but it weighs very heavily on [screenwriter] Dan O'Bannon and H.R. Giger [the artist who designed the look of the titular creature]. We were very fortunate to be able to work with Diane O'Bannon, who is Dan's widow, and who is one of our executive producers. She opened Dan's archive for the very first time, so there's a lot of stuff that fans of the film have probably heard about but have never seen. That includes the original version of the script, that is actually called Memory, that dates back to 1971. Then we worked very closely with the estate of H.R. Giger, and they gave us full access to their archives as well. What they've provided is remarkable."

Interviewees featured in Memory include Alien cast members Tom Skerritt and Veronica Cartwright and set decorator Roger Christian — plus, Philippe says, "a few surprises along the way." Meanwhile, the film's poster boasts an early piece of Alien art from the late Giger.

"The egg that you see in the poster is the very first painting that H.R. Giger did for Dan O'Bannon," says Philippe. "It felt like a really nice and appropriate nod to Dan, and also to Giger and their early collaboration on the film."

https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/09/alien-documentary-memory-poster-sundance/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3540845/poster-art-documentary-memory-origins-alien-features-h-r-giger-painting/

The Old One

Excellent!!!

So excited, H.R Giger's my idol.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Looking more and more interesting...

I wonder how it will be distributed? I see it will be shown at the Sundance film festival this month, but will it get a wide cinematic release? Will it be included with the Alien 4k release or sold separately on DVD/BD or digital?

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed