The Predator Will Be R-Rated!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2016, 07:21:54 AM

Author
The Predator Will Be R-Rated! (Read 29,842 times)

Corporal Hicks

The Predator will be R-Rated! More details continue to crop up regarding The Predator as Shane Black continues making the press rounds for The Nice Guys. Earlier this morning we posted about Shane Black talking about costume design for The Predator. Den of Geek now brings us reassurance that The Predator will be R-rated!

“I made a condition of my participation with Predator that it be the same rating as the first movie, and the first movie was Rated R. In other words, I don't want to cut away every time the Predator does something violent. I was watching the American version of The Grudge, which was PG-13, and I remember being so frustrated by the fact that everything that was scary in the Japanese version, they had to cut away from in the PG-13 American version."

The Predator will be R-rated! According to Shane Black the R-rating was a condition of his involvement with The Predator!

The Predator will be R-rated! According to Shane Black the R-rating was a condition of his involvement with The Predator!

Considering the talk of The Predator being a big event film, something akin to a Marvel release, it was a legitimate concern that The Predator would see a tamer rating to allow the younger audience in (something Fox attempted with Paul Anderson’s Alien vs. Predator but criticism of that PG13 rating led to overcompensation with the sequel Alien vs. Predator: Requiem) however it would appear that Shane Black is sticking to his guns and getting what he wants from 20th Century Fox. And it sounds like he knows exactly what he wants!

Elaborating on it further, Black explained that: "there's also a sensibility and a sense of brooding menace and we can have fun but there's an element of horror that's unmistakable in The Predator," he continued. "I don't want to have to compromise it by just treating it like a popcorn film. That said, I hope there's some popcorn viewing available in it, too. It's an R-rated popcorn movie, which is the best kind to me."

Keep checking in with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for all the latest news on The Predator. You can also follow us via several social media channels so you get the news straight into your feeds as it happens! You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Update #1 (13/05/16) – ScreenRant has just posted their own interview with Shane Black where the topic of the R-rating and budget came up. Black commented on the success of Fox and Ryan Reynold’s Deadpool was instrumental in the decisions made by Fox: “Before Deadpool everyone was saying exactly the opposite. It's only been recently that this sort of thing has become more palatable to the decision makers." 

Black also discusses more about the approach his is taking The Predator, again emphasizing the desire for The Predator to be an event film and to be something that reinvigorates interest in the series: “That's what the goal is here, to take the Predator from a sort of knock-off version that gets a certain amount of money every few years to one that's more eventized, that you would get your tickets for it months in advance, actually know it's coming, and say, 'Yeah, let's line up and see that.'"

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

That's nice. Now for him to confirm an emphasis on practical effects.

Corporal Hicks

With everything new that Black talks about, the more confidence I feel in him being behind this film. It really sounds like he pushed for exactly what he wanted from Fox and it sounds like he knew and got exactly what he wanted. I'm really glad to hear the rating wont compromise the film.

Doggo33

Doggo33

The American 'The Grudge' still had scary bits. I don't really like either version but I don't really understand what he's talking about there. Interestingly it's rated 15 in the UK.

"a tamer rating to allow the younger audience in (something Fox attempted with Paul Anderson's Alien vs. Predator but criticism of that PG13 rating led to overcompensation with the sequel Alien vs. Predator: Requiem"

- And the first of those is still a great film in its own right (that's 'AVP' though, not the 2 standalone franchises).

It does sound like Shane Black knows what he wants and wants to make a great 'Predator' film. I just hope that's a reality, not like Gearbox Software's talk on 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' nor Ridley Scott's talk on 'Prometheus'.

overthere

overthere

I respect the hell out of Shane Black. The man is doing this because he wants to make a good Predator movie, nothing else.

Predator_Spirit

Can't say it's good or bad before reading the script. :-\

Having 2 real good writers, a good director and a R rating and a real budget, is a step in the right direction thought.
Tommy Rothman is also out and is bullied for making crap movies, wich is satisfying. ;D

Mike

Mike

I like the use of Popcorn movie reference Shane used here. I always wondered why Popcorn movie is meant to be a bad term in the movie world but I always liked that term. To me it's enjoy eating popcorn and be entertained with a great movie. Even Shane knows that.

Johnny Handsome

Most Popcorn movies are also classics. I'm all for lighthearted Popcorn fun, i just want something new and entertaining.

overthere

overthere

Popcorn movies are the best. Predator is the greatest example, you have a movie with a haunting atmosphere but at the same time it doesn't take itself too seriously. I don't like when movies take themselves too seriously.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 13, 2016, 10:40:06 AM
Most Popcorn movies are also classics. I'm all for lighthearted Popcorn fun, i just want something new and entertaining.

Yup,the first two pred movies have both some comedy moments and serious moments, and the cocktail worked perfectly, this is the way to
go for a real pred sequel.

Whiskeybrewer

Again as a franchise, this is what Predator needs to be really. Its not something that should be tame, but not over the top either.

Now for him to confirm a Richard Chaves cameo ;)

overthere

overthere

How would you pull off Richard Chaves cameo when Puncho is as dead as it gets.

On second thought, we didn't see any blood coming out of his head. Mac's head got burst open, but Puncho's didn't. My guess is Puncho worked with the guerillas and the Predator, staged the whole thing.

Whiskeybrewer

^^ Not what i was thinking but i like it  :laugh:

I just think having seen pics of him nowadays, he looks the most different to his appearence in Predator. It doesnt have to be a speaking role, i'd just love for him to appear.

overthere

overthere

Just saw some pictures of him now and man he got old. Predator mostly looks like it was filmed recently, and seeing his picture now makes me realize just how old the movie is.

Darkness

Darkness

Not really a surprise. The days of PG13 movies are long behind us. Though if Prometheus had been PG13, I wouldn't have been overly fussed about it.

And I loved The Grudge remake. I thought it was very scary. That noise that thing makes... terrifying. I think you can get away with PG13 pretty effectively in supernatural horror movies. Predator, it wouldn't work so much, as it's not really meant to be scary.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed