Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 51,988 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Nov 11, 2015, 08:38:39 PM
I'm calling it now: If Blomkamp makes another film that continues his downward spiral then the chances of him making Alien 5 are over.  Make no mistake, Fox will be watching to see if he can pull off another district 9, or if gone world will go the way of Elysium and Chappie.  This will be make or break for Blomkamp.

You see a "downward spiral". I don't. I liked 'District 9' and 'Chappie' equally. The only exception is really 'Elysium' - and he's done the mature thing, stood up and very publicly acknowledged its flaws in a way which heavily implied he's going to try and rectify what led to them on future projects.

I won't care if it's not made, but all this prophetic doom-mongering feels hysterical, man. :/

I liked Chappie too but only because of Chappie himself and I like Die Antwoord for some strange reason. Critically, financially  and general opinion have this being another Elyisum for him.

I'm expecting it to all go to pot if his next film is a tank too.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PMThat side of things is generally done in computer, these days.

You're forgetting that Blomkamp is a massive weapons buff and loves to have things like that built practically ahead of time. There were a huge number of alien weapons built for District 9 that never even made it into the film. This kind of thing is his forte.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PMYou see a "downward spiral". I don't.

Pretty sure the vast majority of people would disagree. CHAPPiE was wildly uneven whereas District 9 was infinitely more consistent.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PM
Well, exactly. You can have as many directors on set as you want, but they won't be doing anything if the budget's not being managed.
Producer doesn't manage the money on set. Line producer mostly does that.

QuoteThat'd be the same studio which prided itself on taking someone who had helmed nothing but adverts and music videos, for the sequel to 'Aliens', right? :)
They prided themselves on hiring relative unknowns for all of the movies to that point. Scott had The Deulists and Cameron was given the director's chair before The Terminator was widely released. They saw in Fincher someone with potential and vision, like they had the last two times.

Blomkamp has a track record and although D9 was successful and well received his other two films haven't been at the same level. They're not taking a chance on an unknown, they're gambling on an inconsistent known quantity.

Infected

Yesterday i read a news article that the whole Alien 5 is shut down, because Ridles wants to end the franchise with his own style,
and thus ending up at the first Alien.
Anyone who can confrm this?

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't put much stock in it. It seems to stem from a comment a few months ago that Scott wanted to do the Prometheus sequels himself because he regrets not getting to do the other Aliens. IGN took that as he wants to do all Alien films himself and compound that with people taking Blomkamp's "on hold" tweet to mean cancelled and you get this recent crap.

Magegg

I'm definitely annoyed by this, Blomkamp's Alien V seemed to be a step in the right direction, while this "Covenant" synopsis looks like Scott is simply going to do ONCE AGAIN the same plot from all the Alien films he has directed. What a bummer =(

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Magegg on Nov 22, 2015, 05:40:12 PM
I'm definitely annoyed by this, Blomkamp's Alien V seemed to be a step in the right direction, while this "Covenant" synopsis looks like Scott is simply going to do ONCE AGAIN the same plot from all the Alien films he has directed. What a bummer =(

What do you base this assumption on?

Prometheus was nothing like Alien save for including some aesthetics and the Deacon at the end.

What if Blomkamp's film turns out to be another Aliens? Let's see, it's got Hicks, RIpley, Newt, Colonial Marines and Xenos.

What else had all of that? Aliens did.

Needless to say, this was a step in the right direction, Covenant looks like it will at east explore more of the Engineers and other NEW things Prometheus introduced.

While all Alien V seems to be promising is a confusing timeline and dead characters being resurrected without explanation.

Magegg

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 22, 2015, 08:37:06 PMPrometheus was nothing like Alien save for including some aesthetics and the Deacon at the end.
It was just like Alien. An exploration team goes in a ship, they inspect some ancient structure, creatures inside it infect passengers, a creature breaks free and start killing everyone.

Covenant I guess it's going to be just the same as that, more cannon fodder expedition members, another variant of the xeno, probably Fassbender giving some exposition in the middle... it's like either Scott only likes to do that, or Fox wants to keep the same formula to ensure good box office... and we all are going to watch it.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Magegg on Nov 23, 2015, 01:15:28 AM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 22, 2015, 08:37:06 PMPrometheus was nothing like Alien save for including some aesthetics and the Deacon at the end.
It was just like Alien. An exploration team goes in a ship, they inspect some ancient structure, creatures inside it infect passengers, a creature breaks free and start killing everyone.

Covenant I guess it's going to be just the same as that, more cannon fodder expedition members, another variant of the xeno, probably Fassbender giving some exposition in the middle... it's like either Scott only likes to do that, or Fox wants to keep the same formula to ensure good box office... and we all are going to watch it.

I see what you mean.

I do love it when new things get introduced, my favourite things about Prometheus is them introducing the Engineers and how they seed life. This has introduced the possibility of there being more life out there, and some being as intelligent as us too.

So I understand why you are cautious about Covenant re-treading on old things and repeating the cycle.

To me however, Covenant feels like it will introduce new things like Prometheus did with the Engineers while Alien V (from what I've mostly been hearing) seems to want to re-do what Aliens did and with the same characters to boot. The only "new" stuff I've seen is some strange monolith like structure from the concept art.

In the end though, so long as the films are good, I won't be too bothered. But I'm with you on hoping that new things get explored like finally meeting the Arcturians. It's like a breath of fresh air. Best thing is wait and see how it turns out.

Magegg

Promethues didn't introduce something new, just brought on board the ancient aliens theory and added a lot of unexplained nonsense... hell, Damon "Mr. Lost" Lindelof walked out of the sequel because not even him could explain or give a direction to all the bullshit he included at that movie =/
I mean, I loved the movie, it was a great nostalgic throwback to the original Alien, but doing it just once again becomes unacceptable this time...

The only difference with this one is going to be that this time it will actually tie in with Alien, but that's just bad planning, Prometheus could have finished with the Jockey crashing on LV-### (whatever number it was the Alien derelict ship) and then there wouldn't be any need for this movie.

Just greenlight Blomkamp's sequel, god dammit :/

The Alien Predator

How do you know Blomkamp's sequel will not do the exact same thing that's been done?

Neil Blomkamp isn't famous for making some innovative stellar masterpieces out there. I haven't seen his other films besides District 9 and from what I heard, that's basically his best film.

So how do you know Alien V won't just be Colonial Marines (with Hicks, Ripley and Newt again) vs Aliens? I mean, Blomkamp isn't exactly Steven Spielberg here, no offense to the guy at least he's no Uwe Boll.

At least Covenant has the decency of introducing new characters instead of bringing back old ones.

Magegg

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 23, 2015, 02:00:18 AMHow do you know Blomkamp's sequel will not do the exact same thing that's been done? So how do you know Alien V won't just be Colonial Marines (with Hicks, Ripley and Newt again) vs Aliens?
I wouldn't be against repeating Aliens all over, that's something the movie series has never done, while Prometheus is largely a repetition of the first Alien plot, we don't need TWO repetitions of that, ha ha.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 23, 2015, 02:00:18 AMAt least Covenant has the decency of introducing new characters instead of bringing back old ones.
Yeah, new characters that are either cannon fodder for the xenos, or that they're going to abandon right away, just like they did with Shaw from Prometheus, since whoever is writing doesn't know what to do with them next.

At least Blomkamp's would give us the pleasure of having back two of our favorite characters, also they would be seasoned xeno hunters most likely, so they wouldn't be "fooled twice" and that makes it more likely to not repeat the same plot as the past movies...

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Nov 23, 2015, 01:32:59 AMPromethues didn't introduce something new

As opposed to Blomkamp literally hitting the reset button...?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of either proposed Alien-verse movie, but this argument seems a little hypocritical.

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 23, 2015, 09:01:47 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Nov 23, 2015, 01:32:59 AMPromethues didn't introduce something new

As opposed to Blomkamp literally hitting the reset button...?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of either proposed Alien-verse movie, but this argument seems a little hypocritical.
For what the concept art looks, it's going to be radically different to Aliens. And the fact it's hitting the reset button doesn't mean anything, as they're not doing a remake but an alternate sequel; you can tell new kinds of stories using the same characters... specially since they've developed after the events of the past movie.
As for what Ridley's sequel looks like, they're just getting other näive and innocent goo-touching explorers or something.

Corporal Hicks

And you surmised this from a small synopsis?

Nah. We don't know enough about either film to make those sort of assumptions yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed