Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 52,639 times)

jimbo 30

jimbo 30

Aslong as both films are true to the alien franchise I don't really care as alien 3 and resurection to be honest are not that good.just hope alien paradise lost will be what the title suggests didn't mind Prometheus but was expecting at least a proper xeno connection not just that deacon at the end

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 08, 2015, 08:23:56 PM
That's the single most important person on a film set.
Director's most important on set. Producer's most important in getting the thing off the ground.

As for being enough into preproduction to machine prototypes, that really doesn't mean anything. That prop wouldn't have been expensive or time-consuming. Alien3 had sets constructed when they scrapped their entire script and brought on an entirely new director, not to mention direction, for the film.

When the director walks away from pre-production of a movie to work on entirely unrelated projects, that is worrying, even with the pretense he'd be back. If the film was a sure thing they'd continue pre-production for as long as possible and use the time extension to their advantage, not disband and send their energies elsewhere. If Alien5 does happen down the line, there's now a very good chance that Blomkamp will no longer be confirmed as director without a fresh negotiation, leaving the project open for others.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Nov 10, 2015, 11:36:11 AMAlien3 had sets constructed when they scrapped their entire script and brought on an entirely new director, not to mention direction, for the film.

But they had a script (even if they ultimately ditched it).

They hadn't just turned in a first draft a couple of weeks previously. Ward's script had been under development for months.

SiL

The point stands: a single pulse rifle prop doesn't indicate the movie is a "sure thing".

HuDaFuK

No, I agree. Blomkamp could've paid to have that bashed together himself as a pre-vis. In fact I'd wager that's exactly what the situation is.

Hell, being the Alien(s) fanboy he purports to be, it might just be one he's owned himself for years, and has nothing in particular to do with the new movie.

stroggificated

Oh well. Considering Alien:Isolation was the only good thing that happened to the Alien during the last 23 years, i couldn't be more indifferent today. For all i care, they can cancel both Alien 5 and Prometheus 2.

Corporal Hicks

HuDaFuK

If he can't deliver a film more on par with District 9, as opposed to the disappointing Elysium and CHAPPiE, then I really will start to wonder whether he's just a one-trick pony.

Hopefully basing his new movie on someone else's story might help iron out the wrinkles in Blomkamp's script-writing abilities.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I liked Chappie when I saw it in the cinema. I thought it was pretty quirky and Chappie himself was a great character. But yeah, I do hope this next one actually returns him to his District 9 quality.

HuDaFuK

I've enjoyed all of his films, but the ones since District 9 have been terribly uneven, with glaring flaws that offset everything that's good in them. CHAPPiE was the worst offender for this, it veered wildly between brilliant and kinda rubbish. I did enjoy it quite a bit, but I can totally see why a lot of people weren't impressed.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 11, 2015, 10:30:36 AM
Blomkamp's looking at his next project - http://deadline.com/2015/11/the-gone-world-neill-blomkamp-fox-science-fiction-district-9-1201618007/

Empire has a slightly longer article: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/neill-blomkamp-talks-write-direct-gone-world/

Quote"a sci-fi time travel procedural"

To be honest, I'd rather he do District 10, Marvin or some other original IP of his own invention.

marrerom

I'm calling it now: If Blomkamp makes another film that continues his downward spiral then the chances of him making Alien 5 are over.  Make no mistake, Fox will be watching to see if he can pull off another district 9, or if gone world will go the way of Elysium and Chappie.  This will be make or break for Blomkamp. No studio in their right mind would let a director who's films have consistently done worse and worse near a big name franchise like Alien.

T Dog

Quote from: marrerom on Nov 11, 2015, 08:38:39 PM
I'm calling it now: If Blomkamp makes another film that continues his downward spiral then the chances of him making Alien 5 are over.  Make no mistake, Fox will be watching to see if he can pull off another district 9, or if gone world will go the way of Elysium and Chappie.  This will be make or break for Blomkamp. No studio in their right mind would let a director who's films have consistently done worse and worse near a big name franchise like Alien.

You're "calling" the most blatantly obvious observation ever?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Nov 10, 2015, 11:36:11 AM
Director's most important on set. Producer's most important in getting the thing off the ground.

Well, exactly. You can have as many directors on set as you want, but they won't be doing anything if the budget's not being managed.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 10, 2015, 11:44:11 AM
No, I agree. Blomkamp could've paid to have that bashed together himself as a pre-vis. In fact I'd wager that's exactly what the situation is.

That side of things is generally done in computer, these days.

Quote from: marrerom on Nov 11, 2015, 08:38:39 PM
I'm calling it now: If Blomkamp makes another film that continues his downward spiral then the chances of him making Alien 5 are over.  Make no mistake, Fox will be watching to see if he can pull off another district 9, or if gone world will go the way of Elysium and Chappie.  This will be make or break for Blomkamp.

You see a "downward spiral". I don't. I liked 'District 9' and 'Chappie' equally. The only exception is really 'Elysium' - and he's done the mature thing, stood up and very publicly acknowledged its flaws in a way which heavily implied he's going to try and rectify what led to them on future projects.

I won't care if it's not made, but all this prophetic doom-mongering feels hysterical, man. :/

QuoteNo studio in their right mind would let a director who's films have consistently done worse and worse near a big name franchise like Alien.

That'd be the same studio which prided itself on taking someone who had helmed nothing but adverts and music videos, for the sequel to 'Aliens', right? :)

marrerom

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PM
You see a "downward spiral". I don't. I liked 'District 9' and 'Chappie' equally. The only exception is really 'Elysium' - and he's done the mature thing, stood up and very publicly acknowledged its flaws in a way which heavily implied he's going to try and rectify what led to them on future projects.

Critically and financially yes, its been down hill since District 9.  I also admire that he had the integrity to acknowledge the flaws in Elysium. Time will tell if he learned from his mistakes. It all depends on how this new film turns out.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PM
That'd be the same studio which prided itself on taking someone who had helmed nothing but adverts and music videos, for the sequel to 'Aliens', right? :)

good point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed