Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 96,547 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 11, 2021, 01:04:15 PM
The thing about Alex is they're very self-aware. They'll be unlikely to do the do it again in another novel if they know folk are expecting it.

Yeah, tbf it didn't happen in Cold Forge.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 08:33:36 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 12, 2021, 03:55:27 AM
C'mon man.  We're almost 40 pages deep in this mess, 6 months after the release date.  Eventually it stops being our responsibility to cover for yalls lazy asses if you don't want to read the book.
Or some of us have been hit by work shortages following a global f**king pandemic and don't have the disposable income for books at the moment? f**k aaaall the way off man.

C'mon dude, you don't have the book and your posting in a thread about the book.  That is YOUR FAULT.  You are literally the dude riding a bike placing a stick in his spokes meme right now.

I'm sorry your broke but you being broke ain't my fault guy.

Dachande

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 12, 2021, 04:36:09 PM
C'mon man.  We're almost 40 pages deep in this mess, 6 months after the release date.  Eventually it stops being our responsibility to cover for yalls lazy asses if you don't want to read the book.
Or some of us have been hit by work shortages following a global f**king pandemic and don't have the disposable income for books at the moment? f**k aaaall the way off man.

C'mon dude, you don't have the book and your posting in a thread about the book.  That is YOUR FAULT.  You are literally the dude riding a bike placing a stick in his spokes meme right now.

I'm sorry your broke but you being broke ain't my fault guy.

So what? People should be able to discuss things even if they havent seen them, without getting spoilers thrown in their face. Putting spoiler tags on is simply a generally decent thing to do. Giving people shit because for whatever reason they may not have read, or seen something yet is the opposite.

Just have some respect for other people.

Kradan

Kradan

I mean, why are you even reading the thread then ?

Quote from: Dachande on Aug 12, 2021, 05:22:55 PM
So what? People should be able to discuss things even if they havent seen them, without getting spoilers thrown in their face. Putting spoiler tags on is simply a generally decent thing to do. Giving people shit because for whatever reason they may not have read, or seen something yet is the opposite.

But

6 months after the release date

There probably some people who hasn't seen Endgame yet so what - do I have to use spoiler tags talking about that too ?

I haven't read Into Charybdis yet too but I know there's been quite some time since the book came out so I'm not going to complain about people spoiling it for me. As Kimarhi would put it, it would be MY FAULT

Dachande

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 12, 2021, 05:57:37 PM

But

There probably some people who hasn't seen Endgame yet so what - do I have to use spoiler tags talking about that too ?

I haven't read Into Charybdis yet too but I know there's been quite some time since the book came out so I'm not going to complain about people spoiling it for me. As Kimarhi would put it, it would be MY FAULT

In Australia, where SiL lives. The book was released on the 1st of August. Everybody has different circumstances regarding release dates, and things like that. I think being upset when a book has been out where you live for 11 days is fair. Presuming that everybody has the luxury of getting things at the same time as you, is rather self-centered.

Engineer

Quote from: Dachande on Aug 12, 2021, 06:29:04 PM

But

In Australia, where SiL lives. The book was released on the 1st of August. Everybody has different circumstances regarding release dates, and things like that. I think being upset when a book has been out where you live for 11 days is fair. Presuming that everybody has the luxury of getting things at the same time as you, is rather self-centered.

^^ I can confirm this and I was actually about to say the same. A friend of mine in Australia just got a copy they preordered, less than 2 weeks ago. COVID-19 really messed up the book's global release. There were extreme delays outside the US.

Kradan

Ok, fair point, I didn't take that into the consideration ('cause I didn't know). My apologies, SiL

Voodoo Magic

In just a desire to seek enlightenment, there is a time where we all drop spoiler tags and just talk the film, show, or literary work at hand. I wonder what most feel here is the general acceptable time frame... unless one disagrees there is even such a thing.

Dachande

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 12, 2021, 07:53:18 PM
In just a desire to seek enlightenment, there is a time where we all drop spoiler tags and just talk the film, show, or literary work at hand. I wonder what most feel here is the general acceptable time frame... unless one disagrees there is even such a thing.

For movies, i would generally say once its been out on DVD for a few months. Games and Books, its hard to really say. Once something has been out worldwide for probably 6 months to a year, i would think is fair. Probably closer to a year.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 11, 2021, 05:23:33 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Aug 10, 2021, 11:36:27 AM
Quote from: Stitch on Aug 10, 2021, 03:36:56 AM
Why get attached to someone if they're just going to die?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This happens a lot in this thing called LIFE.
If you don't want it happening in adult books then maybe stick with kid literature.

You must've loved Rogue One

Dunno what his take is but yes, R1 is the only SW movie I have any time for at all for exactly that reason (and lack of Jedi trash).

SiL

To see what people think of the book and decide if I would like to read it when I can.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 12, 2021, 04:36:09 PM
C'mon dude, you don't have the book and your posting in a thread about the book.
Everyone else was using spoiler tags. You replied to a person who used spoiler tags. Read the room.

Engineer

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 12, 2021, 07:53:18 PM

I think 6 months is fair in general, but in this case, it's a little wonky since it's been far less than 6 months in other parts of the world.

426Buddy

Spoiler tags are quick easy to use. I'm not sure why arguments always erupt about using them. If you're not sure if you should add them then you probably should just in case. It's just good manners.

Personally I try to use spoiler tags for any media less than a year old if I'm talking about the plot.

Xiggz456

While I'll always advocate for spoiler tags, you enter these threads at your own risk as soon as the product releases. I personally avoid the thread until I've finished reading to avoid both spoilers and opinions that could affect my own personal experience.

Kradan

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 12, 2021, 10:15:32 PM
While I'll always advocate for spoiler tags, you enter these threads at your own risk as soon as the product releases. I personally avoid the thread until I've finished reading to avoid both spoilers and opinions that could affect my own personal experience.

Exactly

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed