Interview with Cynthia Scott, Aliens' Corporal Dietrich! - AvPGalaxy Podcast #72

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 28, 2018, 07:50:40 AM

Author
Interview with Cynthia Scott, Aliens' Corporal Dietrich! - AvPGalaxy Podcast #72 (Read 8,541 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 72nd episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)!  Our latest episode sees regular host Corporal Hicks interviewing a genuine Colonial Marine, Corporal Dietrich herself; though she goes by Cynthia Scott in the real world!

We discuss the casting process, cycling through London to an audition, flamethrowers, recording music during the break in filming, sneaking into the creature shop, the heartbreak of deleted scenes and plenty more! Occasionally Cynthia references a recent event; She’s talking about the Powerhouse Comic Con where she appeared alongside fellow Aliens actors Carrie and Christopher Henn and Ricco Ross.

At one point I mis-remember that Apone killed the cocooned woman, not Dietrich.  Be sure to also head on over and check out Cynthia’s website or give her a Follow on Twitter.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher and now YouTube!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Great podcast, Cynthia seems like a very approachable person and with good memory of her time on Aliens. It is shame that a scene of her trying to free the colonist was deleted, though that resin stuff was nasty, I believe Sigourney cut her hand on that stuff when her character had to free Newt from the cocoon. Today that might have been done with different material perhaps.

D. Compton Ambrose

An extremely humble and intelligent individual that one is.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 28, 2018, 10:44:19 AM
Great podcast, Cynthia seems like a very approachable person and with good memory of her time on Aliens.

Quote from: D. Compton Ambrose on Aug 28, 2018, 08:35:15 PM
An extremely humble and intelligent individual that one is.  :)

Thank you, Cruentus. I really enjoyed recording this one and Cynthia is one of my favourite guests! I could just listen to her go on. :)

QuoteIt is shame that a scene of her trying to free the colonist was deleted, though that resin stuff was nasty, I believe Sigourney cut her hand on that stuff when her character had to free Newt from the cocoon. Today that might have been done with different material perhaps.

Yeah! I don't think this is a story I've ever heard of before. It's great that there's still plenty more we can learn about these films! I definitely remember hearing that about Weaver during the rescue. Be nice if we could see Cynthia's footage eventually. I wonder if it still exists.

The Cruentus

There could be some old photos perhaps, kind of like there was of James Remar.
And you never know, with the constant new releases such as bluray and then 4k and so on, they may add it to extras or something (assuming the footage isn't lost completely). The Burke cocoon scene for example, I think people are saying that scene might be put in the next version of Aliens to be released.

Rankles75

Rudiger

426Buddy

Great interview!

Really enjoyed that, she was great.

BishopShouldGo

Fantastic interview, Corporal. Cynthia is awesome. Very interesting that to this day she's only seen the first two.

SM

Good listen that.  If you put it up on Youtube maybe drop in some of her clips from the film.

Interesting about the chestburster scene - I've been doing a stack of Blu-ray screencapping of late, and only just noticed that both her and Apone fry the colonist.  I always thought it was just Apone.

Darwinsgirl

Excellent interview. 5 Stars! I enjoyed hearing about the casting process. Her prep work training for the film. Her take on the firing of the AD and her lost footage. Maybe in some future anniversary release of ALIENS we will see it. What I enjoyed the most was her enthusiasm. I can only imagine how Ho Hum it can get when someone asks you for the hundredth time "what was your favorite this or that?" No sense of that at all. It'd be great if she would post some pics of the snap together figure that was done of her. 8)

Wweyland

Thanks for that, would be great to have a transcript as well.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 29, 2018, 11:55:22 PM
Good listen that.  If you put it up on Youtube maybe drop in some of her clips from the film.

It's on the never-ending to-do list along with Daniel Kash's interview which I did actually start!

QuoteInteresting about the chestburster scene - I've been doing a stack of Blu-ray screencapping of late, and only just noticed that both her and Apone fry the colonist.  I always thought it was just Apone.

I mis-spoke there. I'd forgot it was Apone. Didn't realize Dietrich actually got a shot off there!

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Aug 30, 2018, 10:30:05 AM

Excellent interview. 5 Stars! I enjoyed hearing about the casting process. Her prep work training for the film. Her take on the firing of the AD and her lost footage. Maybe in some future anniversary release of ALIENS we will see it. What I enjoyed the most was her enthusiasm. I can only imagine how Ho Hum it can get when someone asks you for the hundredth time "what was your favorite this or that?" No sense of that at all. It'd be great if she would post some pics of the snap together figure that was done of her. 8)

To be honest, I do try and steer away from that kind of thing but sometimes you just need to ask it. Different people have different responses and if you get a good guest, you get a good story!

Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 30, 2018, 06:14:33 PM
Thanks for that, would be great to have a transcript as well.

Feel free to!

I'm glad everyone is enjoying it.  ;D

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Amazing interview Hicks.

One aspect of the interview that resonates with me is Cynthia describing the geography of London UK (in the 80's) and how much of ALIENS was filmed in South West London (Acton Town) and Pinewood Studios which is West of London just before Slough.
All these locations are accessible via public transport on the London Underground's (overground) service.

I recall visiting Acton Town Underground Station (above ground route) on an early sunny day in 2011 amongst quaint houses, flowery gardens near Gunnersbury Garden and the Royal Botanical gardens. I was blissfully unaware that a mere 3 miles north heading towards Harlesdon Underground station was the, now demolished, Acton Power Station where weapon carnage, APC on fire chase sequences, flamethrowers, exploding Xenomorph's, screams, chestburster and Dietrich's ALIEN nest grabbing scene were filmed!!!!!
Pinewood Studios London are a mere 14 mile, 30 minute car journey west of Acton Town, where they filmed the powerloader and colony exterior shots. Also to a lesser extent it is where ALIEN 3 was also filmed (Pinewood Studios)..

Mind blown I was always under the impression that ALIENS was filmed in the USA until I saw "Superior Firepower- the making of ALIENS". It also took me a while to realise how close I was to movie making history without even knowing it.

Russ

That was really, really great. Thanks so much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed