Official Prometheus Website Updated

Started by ikarop, Apr 26, 2012, 09:14:05 PM

Author
Official Prometheus Website Updated (Read 30,266 times)

Vulhala

Vulhala

I wasn't sure whether it was more for portability. Or both. I know nothing about guns.

chupacabras acheronsis

sawing off part of the barrel won't do much except reducing the amount of speed the rounds can reach a little(thus reducing how far they can go without losing trajectory) and making the muzzle flash into a flametrower. the pellets spread only because of the explosion of the gases at the muzzle.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Thanks. So really it serves no purpose other than to make it easier to conceal?

Eva

Eva

Curious: (I don't know anything about gun designs either)

- the inside of a gun barrel is in direct contact with the projectile, yes? So wouldn't a longer barrel reduce the speed of the projectile because of drag?

I assumed the necessity of a longer barrel, was about stabilizing the projectiles trajectory before it leaves the muzzle and thereby aiming for higher precision, not as much a higher projectile velocity...

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Vulhala on Apr 27, 2012, 07:52:29 PM
Thanks. So really it serves no purpose other than to make it easier to conceal?

one could say so, shotguns are usually smooth bore so there's no centrifuge force in the shot. but having a smaller length means you have a smaller magazine tube. that's why sawn off shotguns are only a good idea with cheap break actions.

Quote from: Eva on Apr 27, 2012, 08:03:31 PM

- the inside of a gun barrel is in direct contact with the projectile, yes? So wouldn't a longer barrel reduce the speed of the projectile because of drag?

I assumed the necessity of a longer barrel, was about stabilizing the projectiles trajectory before it leaves the muzzle and thereby aiming for higher precision, not as much a higher projectile velocity...

the drag actually helps the projectile gain energy. the explosion pushes the round, which, being soft lead, seals it completely against the rifling that spins it(which is what really stabilizes it in flight), all the way down to the muzzle. the longer and tigher it is, the more of the energy will be transfered to the bullet instead of turning into a flame at the end. but it also depends if this barrel is solid enough to direct the bullet; if the barrel is long but too thin or weak it will vibrate and and send the rounds all over the place. that's why you don't see sniper rifles with 2m long barrels.

escroto

escroto

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2012, 12:09:28 AM

I think that's really my only "problem" with the new stuff on the website, dropping the atmosphere processor in in 'Prometheus' doesn't jive well with 'Aliens' where the AP station was supposed to be unfamiliar for Ripley. I mean it's not completely irreconcilable - maybe Burke was just being a corporate shill and doing the typical "pre-written salesman pitch" thing on reflex or something.
yep that's a good spot. Ripley didn't seem to have ever seen atmosphere processors in any of those mining/colony wordls the Nostromo was assigned to.

In this particular case (only) I'd prefer to give preference to Cameron's lore since It was Cameron the one who invented/brought them to the franchise. I really thought Ripley was still floating in space when the first of these things was built and then used for the first time by the company

There could be more than one incongruences in the timeline posted in this web, and anything they touch that was first brought to the franchise by Cameron and not Scott should try to connect better with Vameron's lore.

Hope Camerons' queen is not in their plans too ;D

Eva

Eva

Thx chupacabras... I learned something new today then  :)

Now I seem to remember how in Die Hard, Karls rifle (the one he's seen assembling in the elevator, going upstairs to kick McClanes ass) has the clip behind the trigger, not in front of it. I assume then - based on what you are saying, that this design is about preserving the advantages of a longer rifle barrel, while reducing the total length of the rifle at the same time, making it lighter and more easy to handle.

It has an awesome design by the way...

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Eva on Apr 27, 2012, 08:03:31 PM

Hi Eva,

Due to the expansion of the gases, the bullet generally accelerates along the full length of the barrel.  So, for a given bullet mass, and given propellent type/charge, the "muzzle velocity" of the bullet (initial velocity as it exits the muzzle) is largely a function of the barrel length.  Now, this is a bit of a generalization.  There are trade-offs to having too short a barrel, and too long a barrel...both in terms of ballistics, as well as to operational function, so the firearms designer tries to optimize the barrel length depending on the intended purpose of the firearm.

And yes, for a given projectile and cartridge, there is a limit point whereby the barrel would become too long, which would have a detrimental effect on the muzzle velocity.  This would occur when the friction between the bullet and the barrel, as well as air resistance, equals the continuously diminishing gas pressure behind the bullet...at which point the bullet would begin to deccelerate, before exiting the muzzle.

Firestorm

Quote from: Eva on Apr 27, 2012, 08:24:11 PM
Thx chupacabras... I learned something new today then  :)

Now I seem to remember how in Die Hard, Karls rifle (the one he's seen assembling in the elevator, going upstairs to kick McClanes ass) has the clip behind the trigger, not in front of it. I assume then - based on what you are saying, that this design is about preserving the advantages of a longer rifle barrel, while reducing the total length of the rifle at the same time, making it lighter and more easy to handle.

It has an awesome design by the way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Firestorm on Apr 27, 2012, 08:32:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup
Yes - I got it right it seems. Thx Firestorm & Deuterium  ;D

... and that wikipage has the rifle from Die Hard - just makes Karl more badass than he already was

Spoiler
[close]
Sorry for going offtopic with this...

wmmvrrvrrmm

here's another exoskeleton, this one is in L'Uomo Vogue

Infected

Is this stuff real? i mean this is a real direct connection to ALIENS.
Then everything from ALIENS is cannon.

MrSpaceJockey

Why wouldn't things from ALIENS be canon in the first place?

chupacabras acheronsis

because butthurt purists.

and if you were wondering, the reason why almost no countries have adopted these seemingly advantageous designs as their infantry mainstay comes down to three factors: poor trigger performance, bad weight balance, and difficult reload/prone firing(the action is way too close to your face). the Aug is one of the better ones and still has these problems.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Eva on Apr 27, 2012, 06:31:42 AM
Great stuff... the atmosphere processor design as well. As far as the viral campaign goes, it's safe to say that Camerons Aliens is canon... I wonder if there will be a tiny nod somewhere in Prometheus from Scott to Cameron, in a sort of blink-and-you'll miss it fashion...
The Weyland timeline also casually references 'Aliens' a few times (Colonial Marines, smartguns) and 'Alien3' (prison colonies).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed