Aliens Art Director Peter Lamont has passed away

Started by Gazz, Dec 19, 2020, 08:36:10 AM

Author
Aliens Art Director Peter Lamont has passed away (Read 2,854 times)

Gazz

QuoteAn Oscar winner and four-time nominee, he also worked on 'The Seven-Per-Cent Solution,' 'Fiddler on the Roof' and 'Aliens.'
Peter Lamont, the top-notch British art director, set decorator and production designer who worked on 18 James Bond films and received an Academy Award for Titanic, has died. He was 91.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/peter-lamont-legendary-production-designer-on-bond-films-and-titanic-dies-at-91

A few years ago I attended a film festival where Peter Lamont was giving a talk as promotion for his new book. Unfortunately, though the festival had managed to secure some big names (Lamont, director John Glenn, Red Dwarf creator Rob Grant) it wasn't very well advertised and only a few people turned up. Ever the professional he still gave his talk to a room of no more than 10 people, talking us through a rich history of movie work from Bond through to Titanic (for which he won an oscar). At the end of it all my Popcorn Digest cohost and I approached him for a chat. He ended up talking to us over lunch for about an hour, with a lot of focus on Aliens and his efforts to keep within a strict and limiting budget.

However, towards the end of our conversation he did mention that he felt he was forced out of the industry one movie too soon (due to health concerns). Though his career was one littered with amazing accomplishments he never got to leave the business on his own terms. Shortly thereafter his son Neil (who was working on The Force Awakens at the time) came to collect him and off he went. After the embarrassment the festival had left him with he could have been very bitter and rightfully upset about the whole thing. Instead he was a true professional, making the most out of what little he had. But I guess after his work on Aliens, that was something he was used to.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Thanks for sharing your meeting him. 

Kradan

StrangeShape

Uh no. Another talent gone. His work and legacy will love on

Corporal Hicks

I'm so sorry to hear. He made his mark, and that'll never go.

BigDaddyJohn

XENOMORPHOSIS

Rest in peace Peter Lamont

AVP-CAPCOM

I seem to recall during Firepower the making of ALIENS that Peter Lamont was at RAF Marham Norfolk sourcing parts from decommissioned Vulcan aircraft for the fictional UD-4 "Cheyenne" Dropship around 1984-1985.

I lived on the very same base during that time when young. So chances are we might have passed at the Naafi or been within a mile when he was there.

Didn't know this at the time of course.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed