Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 10, 2018, 05:38:04 AM

Author
Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way (Read 59,323 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 20, 2019, 02:06:48 PMThe most interesting comments so far have come from O'Bannon's wife, but overall so far Charles de Lauzirika's doc is much more comprehensive overall.

Lauzirika's documentary is a far better examination of the actual making of the movie (as are many of the Alien docs that preceded it).

Memory instead focuses more on analysing its subtext, along with giving some personal insight into O'Bannon and his inspirations when writing it, which made it refreshing.

SiL

A lot of the subtext analysis is really wanky though.

HuDaFuK

Some of it was. Some of it made me realise things I'd never thought of before.

SiL

Did you realise that the derelict ship, which is dead and rotting, with its dead crew, and its deadly cargo of deadly alien organisms, symbolised death ... because it's crescent shaped?

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Nov 21, 2019, 10:38:57 PM
Did you realise that the derelict ship, which is dead and rotting, with its dead crew, and its deadly cargo of deadly alien organisms, symbolised death ... because it's crescent shaped?
:laugh: I think I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Huggs

Things...will never be the same.

Nightmare Asylum

Overall I found the analytical lens of the doc to be very... flimsy. Didn't find much at all of the "Fury" stuff interesting or relevant, and it always caught me off guard when they tried to circle back to it every ten minutes or so. There's room for an analytical Alien doc (and they had an interesting enough thesis for one near the end when they briefly remarked on Ridley's obsession with life/creation) but overall I didn't find any of those elements in this doc to be successfully executed. Ben Mankiewicz was the only talking head on the analytical side of things who I thought had some interesting remarks.

What I did enjoy immensely, however, were the segments focusing on Diane O'Bannon. She had a lot of interesting remarks, and honestly I could have watched a whole hour and a half of just her talking. It was quite nice seeing Cartwright and Skerrit reflecting on the film, as well.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 22, 2019, 03:30:27 AM
What I did enjoy immensely, however, were the segments focusing on Diane O'Bannon. She had a lot of interesting remarks, and honestly I could have watched a whole hour and a half of just her talking.

Oh yeah! It was the focus on Diane and Dan and Giger that made Memory for me. I loved hearing more about the specific stories that influenced Dan while working on Alien.

HuDaFuK

Like I said, some of it was shitty. Some of it I found quite interesting.

The Old One

The Old One

I think I'll pick it up soon to see what I think.

StrangeShape

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 21, 2019, 03:47:53 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 20, 2019, 02:06:48 PMThe most interesting comments so far have come from O'Bannon's wife, but overall so far Charles de Lauzirika's doc is much more comprehensive overall.

Lauzirika's documentary is a far better examination of the actual making of the movie (as are many of the Alien docs that preceded it).

Agreed.

When I first heard the announcement about the doc I was surprised because I didnt know what else is there to say other than Lauzirikas exceptional docs. I didnt think anything van top or match it. I was right

Corporal Hicks

It's not trying to do that, though.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 23, 2019, 11:23:36 AM

True. But still, after Anthology's docs, I dont think anyone can say the story of creating the movies is still incomplete

Elmazalman

Quote from: StrangeShape on Nov 24, 2019, 03:12:02 AM

True. But still, after Anthology's docs, I dont think anyone can say the story of creating the movies is still incomplete
Especially with the extra bits & bobs that were included in the ENHANCEMENT PODS for the four films.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: StrangeShape on Nov 24, 2019, 03:12:02 AM

That's the thing, there's always other bits of pieces that aren't out there. Just might not be enough for a full length documentary. I think Memory is at its strongest in the first 40 minutes or so, when it looking at Dan and Giger, when it's interviewing Diane or Carmen. The rest of it feels very loosely connected. It's more interesting as an Origin piece, looking at those people coming together to make Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed