20th Century Fox & Tongal Announce Alien Short Film Contest!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 27, 2018, 05:55:56 PM

Author
20th Century Fox & Tongal Announce Alien Short Film Contest! (Read 77,376 times)

acrediblesource

I wonder if the supposed US resident applicant can hire outside of the US? That would give exceptional quality candidates all around the world. THat is if the individual knows how to go about it....

LtJesseRipley

LtJesseRipley

AMERICA ONLY is the story of my life with Alien Competitions....

YTL_Hunter_H2

How bout they just let blomkamp do his movie instead?

missing1

Have a great idea for a story, but ZERO movie production experience. Bah!

Nukiemorph

I have a degree in film production and I submit to a lot of contests, but have no actual industry experience outside of local television.  I can contribute, but I doubt they'll be impressed by my past work.  Still, as a fan and a filmmaker, I feel obgligated to give it a shot.

Most contests just ask you to make something yourself and submit.
But being responsible for $30,000?
Having Fox approve every detail before you start rolling?
Trying to come up with something worthy of being part of a franchise I respect so damn much?
This whole thing is pretty daunting.

Wysps

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 28, 2018, 02:25:30 PM
I have a degree in film production and I submit to a lot of contests, but have no actual industry experience outside of local television.  I can contribute, but I doubt they'll be impressed by my past work.  Still, as a fan and a filmmaker, I feel obgligated to give it a shot.

Most contests just ask you to make something yourself and submit.
But being responsible for $30,000?
Having Fox approve every detail before you start rolling?
Trying to come up with something worthy of being part of a franchise I respect so damn much?
This whole thing is pretty daunting.

Knowing the business side of things and having the creative process down, you'd probably be a good candidate to contribute your piece to the cause!  If anything, this will be a great exercise to sharpen your skills in filmmaking.  Everyone needs a creative outlet – indulge your art, I say.  (I know nothing of filmmaking, so I may just be talking out of my ass, but it's coming from the right place ha ha...)  And that goes for everyone else that's interested, for that matter.

Corporal Hicks

Good luck with it necrotard!

It's a real shame about the regional restrictions. People like SiL and James Bushe are missing out.

That said, I wonder if Alex Popov is going for it. I think Jamie from PO is having a go.

DaddyYautja

Quote from: missing1 on Jun 28, 2018, 12:53:06 PM
Have a great idea for a story, but ZERO movie production experience. Bah!

Maybe everyone in AVPG should submit and whoever gets in the rest will help out?

irn

The US resident only thing really shot down a great moment of excitement there.

LtJesseRipley

LtJesseRipley

They should spend there money FIXING up ALIEN 3 and getting D Fincher back, that would be the best. This is my dream.

KiramidHead

I don't think the amount of money it would take to get Fincher back exists.

irn

Quote from: LtJesseRipley on Jun 29, 2018, 04:55:58 AM
They should spend there money FIXING up ALIEN 3 and getting D Fincher back, that would be the best.

If I was a millionaire I'd do it.

TC

Ok I didn't know what Tongal was so I looked up those links. They are a US-based project management and booking agency. They act as middlemen between end-clients who want various types of non-broadcast films made (e.g. educational, training, marketing, promotion, instructional videos), and freelance independents who pitch for the work. In this case, the end client is Fox. I guess the respondents they are expecting to apply will be first and foremost from their database of freelance contractors who have an existing relationship with them. But all applicants are welcome.

The cutoff date for initial pitch is 4 July so that's not far away, but probably pretty typical for the types of projects they usually handle. So if anyone's interested, the first thing you need to do is find an AMERICAN producer who is willing to front for you. Preferably a producer who works for an existing professional production company (an LLC), because you're going to need to make use of their existing infrastructure for business-type things: legal, banking, book-keeping, hiring of crew and equipment, insurance, logistics, that kind of stuff. You'll also need to get this producer enthused because this person (or rather their LLC) will be the actual competition applicant, and the one who will be responsible to Fox to the tune of $30,000. Once you get this American producer on-board, all crew they hire can potentially be from anywhere in the world (e.g. a U.K. visual effects artist who could interface via internet).

So if you've got a story idea, great, but you need to find that producer!!!

TC

Perfect-Organism

To avoid the regional restriction, can't you set up a US corporation and do the film under that?

TC

That's a good question. The only way to be sure would be to ask them on the Tongalir message board. There's been a few questions from non-Americans already.

I don't know what it would take to incorporate an American co. remotely. (I'm not American, BTW). You would be best advised to consult your own local solicitor about this. Other questions would be registering such a co. with the American IRS, and whether you would need a U.S. bank account. I' m guessing yes on both counts.

The simplest arrangement for a non-American that I can see is :

1. American producer
2. An animation production (no live action crew or equipment hire).

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed