The Worst Alien Design

Started by gameoverman, Jan 25, 2008, 12:55:05 PM

Which is the worst Alien design out of the lot that so far was featured in films?

"Alien" Design
10 (4%)
"Aliens" Design
7 (2.8%)
"AlienĀ³" Design
8 (3.2%)
"Alien: Resurrection" Design
42 (16.9%)
"Alien Vs. Predator" Design
14 (5.6%)
"Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem" Design
88 (35.3%)
"Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem" Predalien Design
63 (25.3%)
"Aliens" Queen Design
2 (0.8%)
"Alien: Resurrection" Queen Design
12 (4.8%)
"Alien Vs. Predator" Queen Design
3 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 239

Author
The Worst Alien Design (Read 171,364 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

You're continuously retconning your point. It is the color, then it is the color and the applied slime, then it is color, slime and texture together.
Again, it seems most likely that your hatred for both film and design is causing this strong imagery in your point of view, and that's completely fine (I myself have compared quite a few things to crap, without them really having striking visual similarities). Talking literally, I can't really see excrement-esque textures in the Resurrection Aliens - I can't really believe I actually have to develop my point this further, but yeah, the Aliens have way too complex of a texture on their surface, and nothing on them really resembles shit. There's flesh, distorted flesh, bones, they've replaced most of the biomechanical details with bony structures. In fact, what I'm reminded of most of the time when looking at the Resurrection Aliens, is a skinned animal with bones and muscles visible - only that the Aliens have some greatly sparse industrial tubes on their surface (most notably on the sides of their head and two symmetrical wires run accross their abdomen, not to mention it isn't actually seen much in the film, but they have a lot of detailing obtained via airbrushing as per the Dog Alien).

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 26, 2011, 11:05:28 PM
You're continuously retconning your point. It is the color, then it is the color and the applied slime, then it is color, slime and texture together.

No, I never said just colour.

Look:

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Dec 26, 2011, 06:18:47 PM
To be fair, the colour paired with the texture in Resurrection did actually resemble shit.

Then in the next post (about the slime) I didn't bother mentioning texture again, 'cause I'd already said it previously.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Stand corrected. Apologizes.
Stating them all together organically would've been better, though. :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Since we're talking about Alien design, can anyone explain why the Resurrection Warriors have a bad case of carpal tunnel? Ugh, the f**k was up with dem hands.

Eriorguez

Eriorguez

On the topic of hands, I find the original design to be a bit too glove-looking (of course); the original Alien was still too much of a man in a cumbersome suit (and that's what made the film great, it was hidden, never seen as a whole (except when it is ejected into space, and that looks like a tall man in a suit). Personally, I'm a fan of the fused-finger hands, specially if having the extra thumb and it not being a floppy piece of plasting. Perfectly symmetrical skeletal hands are unsettling.

Dome and dome-less; I could care less, but please don't use those odd ridges if you take out the dome; the original pattern is suggestive enough.

Feet, resemblance to the host species is a nice touch. Long-metatarsal feet for dog aliens, inner dewclaw for predaliens, and... Wait, human aliens easily become a mess. Anyway, plantigrade feet, tiptoeing walk, hunched over posture. May be because I've spent far more time playing the video games than watching the movies, but any time the alien stands upright, it hurts my suspension of disbelief a bit. However, nothing like the Resurrection ones. Friggin JP Raptor ripoffs.

The tip of the tail, I'm growing attached to the bladed variant. May be due to Bishop being impaled having quite striking qualities that a barb doesn't do as well. As for the tall neural spines near the tip, well, makes it look like a vertebral column even more, and gives the tail an eerie flowing effect, but it also goes fine the other way.

Also, one thing I never quite liked, was the spine-like "head rest". It just looks cumbersome for the creature to "look" up (or down from a ceiling). That's what I liked from the runner. Still liked the tubes, tho.

All in all, the AvP:R ones are the least detailed, looking far too much like rubber suits.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed